PDA

View Full Version : Safin, where are you?

djones
01-30-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm really getting frustrated now, with Federer winning every damn tournament he enters!
I'm looking forward for someone blasting him of the court!
Either Safin, Nadal or anyone I don't care!

sapphiressister
01-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Safin is coming back at Rotterdam next month.

slice bh compliment
01-30-2006, 06:27 AM
Blasting RF off the court? :) Heheh, good one...but I know what you mean.

Well, Safin lost a lot of points last week, so his ranking is now no. 50.
If he does not come back and win a few matches this spring, it is unlikely he will be seeded at RG or Wimbledon. Talk about a dangerous floater!

Any word on his knee? His plans?

I've still got a case of Baghmania, and I can't help but look forward to Nadal vs Marco...Marco vs Marat....Berdych vs Marat....Gasquet vs Marco...Haas vs Nadal...Roddick vs Marat...Roger vs all of the above.

Grimjack
01-30-2006, 06:27 AM
I'm really getting frustrated now, with Federer winning every damn tournament he enters!
I'm looking forward for someone blasting him of the court!
Either Safin, Nadal or anyone I don't care!

Take heart! The two weeks per year that Nadal is a legitimate GS threat are fast approaching.

pound cat
01-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Schedule from official site. Estoril has been added.

http://maratsafin.com/content.php?did=2

sapphiressister
01-30-2006, 06:33 AM
His knee is much better and hes training in Spain

pound cat
01-30-2006, 06:35 AM
We hope his knee is better...only playing a match will tell...currently in Moscow for his birthday that Kafelnikov, Andreev, Youzhny evidently attended.

Noelle
01-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Does the men's tour have protected ranking? I read somewhere else that if Safin stays out long enough he can still retain a ranking within the top 20 when he comes back. I'm not really sure of this information, though.

djones
01-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Hmm, maybe I should check the Rotterdam tournament.
Be nice to Federer and Safin play!

pound cat
02-09-2006, 09:09 AM
09.02.06 It is with regret that we announce that Marat has today withdrawn from the Open 13 Marseilles. Please Note - there is nothing wrong with his knee - it was just felt that his level of fitness was not sufficient to enable him to know he can not only enter but also win a tournament. As such he feels that another week will just fine tune his level of performance. Marat is still very determined but does not want to start until he knows he is 100% fit.

Official Site..

(he can apply for protected ranking if he's out for at least 6 months).

Fee
02-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Does the men's tour have protected ranking? I read somewhere else that if Safin stays out long enough he can still retain a ranking within the top 20 when he comes back. I'm not really sure of this information, though.

Yes they do, but he may not need to use it. He got into Indian Wells with his ranking before the Aus Open, and he got into Miami with his current ranking. The last match he played was in Cincinnati last Summer, so I'm pretty sure he will get the PR if he wants it or needs it.

Shabazza
02-09-2006, 10:01 AM
no Safin in Marseilles...I understand his decision, still :(

pound cat
02-09-2006, 02:39 PM
he was very fearful when he came back from wrist inujury, and he must be very fearful about this knee thing as well as taking more time to get back into shape. I hope Nadal can make it to Marseille. Injury..the scourge of tennis.

arosen
02-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't care if he decides to postpone his comeback from injury, as long as he doesn't come out to play too early and gets reinjured and then is forced to retire. Injury induced retirement for Safin - that would be a bummer of biblical proportions. The only other guy as funny or as entertaining as Safin is Goran, and Goran ain't playing no more, so we need the Big Russian.

DashaandSafin
02-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Just take your sweet time Safin. I dotn want him playing for a month then taking a half a year break.

smittysan89
02-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Just take your sweet time Safin. I dotn want him playing for a month then taking a half a year break.
I agree, luckily i was ********* at Cincy last summer to watch him play for the last time of the year. Unfortunately he pulled out though.

BabolatFan
02-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Hope he's keeping his focus and come out firing. Does anyone know if he's playing at Indian Wells? I'm getting the tickets...

Noelle
02-09-2006, 07:31 PM
I would say get the tickets anyway, and let the cards fall where they may. ;) I certainly don't want Marat taking needless risks, and if he doesn't go to Indian Wells you can still watch all the other good players.

fishuuuuu
02-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Marat is at Noelle's house, they're having green tea.

go_nadal
02-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Take all the time u want marat, then come back and just be ur self!

pound cat
02-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Surprise Australian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis is set to play in the 600,000 dollars ATP Marseille Open after Russian Marat Safin pulled out of the tournament.
Safin cited a knee injury and lack of form for his decision to skip the tournament, which runs from February 13-19.

Glad Safin has been replaced by another crowd pleaser.

ACE of Hearts
02-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Go Bags!:)

sureshs
02-10-2006, 12:45 PM

For 6 months I think

pound cat
02-10-2006, 02:44 PM
He has to have been off with injury for 6 months, and then his ranking is protected for the first 8? tournaments he plays upon return.

slice bh compliment
02-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Go Bags!:)

Yeah, hopefully Marat will be back soon. Glad he is not rushing it. If we're lucky, he will stay healthy and make a run at the summer hardcourt season. Anyone else up for Safin/Federer/Nadal and someone else (maybe a certain Cypriot) in the US Open men's semis?

And, of course, in terms of ticket sales, ratings, entertainment value and pure tennis....Marcos is a fitting replacement in the draw Marseillaise. Go Bagh-man. If/when he marries, will we call his beautiful wife the bagh-lady?

Oh, total tangent here. Please use your mentally/manually installed ignore function if you are so inclined:
There's a person on this forum screen-named bhagi katbamma...is that correct? Well, that is now officially exactly what pops into my head when someone calls Marcos the Bag man, Baggs, Bagh-daddy or whatever. (the power of the eyes and the mind) Also the name Katbamma sounds sort of hip and beatnik, man.

pound cat
02-10-2006, 03:53 PM
LOL

"will we call his beautiful wife the bagh-lady?"

Why not. You never know what life may bring.

West Coast Ace
02-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Safin back in shape - good thing.
Safin back in less than optimum shape - bad thing.
Recently turned 26 - I'm sure he knows the clock is ticking.

West Coast Ace
02-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I would say get the tickets anyway, and let the cards fall where they may. ;) I certainly don't want Marat taking needless risks, and if he doesn't go to Indian Wells you can still watch all the other good players.I'll 2nd that. It's a great day away from LA. I usually go the 1st Monday. I end up spending more time watching the practice courts.

pound cat
02-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Safin back in shape - good thing.
Safin back in less than optimum shape - bad thing.
Recently turned 26 - I'm sure he knows the clock is ticking.

No doubt he knows the clock is ticking, but I don't think he's wringing his hands the way myriads of his fans are. I'm sure his life as it is is pretty good (latest, Boris Yeltsin's b-day.how many can say thy were 1 of 300 invited to the b-day of a historical person)

2 slams, millions of dollars, balanced life, fame, anything else is gravy for him.

West Coast Ace
02-11-2006, 09:20 PM
2 slams, millions of dollars, balanced life, fame, anything else is gravy for him.Agreed. Once he got that AO title and didn't have to hear 'One Slam Wonder' he was set.

I'd like to see him get one French added to the collection - and think that's not a stretch. A career Slam would be a hoot but considering his lack of success at W that probably isn't going to happen.

splink779
02-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Well, that is now officially exactly what pops into my head when someone calls Marcos the Bag man, Baggs, Bagh-daddy or whatever. (the power of the eyes and the mind) Also the name Katbamma sounds sort of hip and beatnik, man.

How about Baggy-D? I like that. ;)

pound cat
02-12-2006, 06:25 AM
How about Marcos? He's the only Marcos around.

pound cat
02-17-2006, 07:34 AM
To the vexation of Richard Krajicek the Russian Marat Safin has withdrawn for 33e the editie of of ABN AMRO World the tennis Tournament because of a long-term dragging injury . Safin has meanwhile fallen because of this to 49ste the position on the ATP ranking.

Translation, from the Rotterdam site . neuws.

(He has withdrawn from Rotterdam a few times before)

Not on the Official Safin site yet, which is often slow with news.

Noelle
02-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Better safe than sorry?

(yeah, I keep telling myself that every time Marat withdraws from yet another tournament. *sigh* We miss him.)

BaselDazzle
02-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Better safe than sorry?

(yeah, I keep telling myself that every time Marat withdraws from yet another tournament. *sigh* We miss him.)

We all do... The word is that he's skipping Rotterdam so that he can qualify for protected ranking. I really hope that's it, not that he's still injured.

pound cat
02-18-2006, 07:59 AM
"The word is..." is that we really have no clue as to why he skipped Rotterdam other than the fact that he's pulled out 4 times before..and seems to have no interest in this tournament. But he may have done them a favour by saying he was going & helped Richard sell some tickets. Tennis is big business, after all.

Hoping to see Safin well and in good shape at Dubai..or...anywhere, soon. Davai Marat.

pound cat
02-18-2006, 08:00 AM
duplicate......

vkartikv
02-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Ok, so where is he and when is he going to return? I might have missed the news so help me out here..

pound cat
02-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Dubai according to his site.

maconick
02-18-2006, 05:29 PM
safin should be #2 next to nadal

redskin tennis
02-19-2006, 03:39 PM
well, when he does come back, do yall think he'll be using the prestige FP pj?

jackson vile
02-19-2006, 04:31 PM
safin should be #2 next to nadal

It's really sad as from what I know of him he could be the best IMHO he has so much more passion then Fed, not to be rude but we are getting tired of seeing Fed play. I really don't feel that Fed is so good, rather the tour is just so weak.

Safin IMHO will go down as a could have been, very sad

pound cat
02-20-2006, 06:01 AM
His personality and his quest for a balanced life preclude Safin from getting the results his fans would like . And it's his personality and quirkiness that make him so charismatic. If he was getting Federer's results, doing what it takes to get there, he would not be the Marat we know, and we'd be complaining about him always winning. I prefer him the way he is...win really big once in a while, make everyone happy for a while.