PDA

View Full Version : federer's chances in paris?? "tiger" slam

tom-selleck
01-30-2006, 05:31 AM
what do people think of federer's chances in paris? i was thinking not too great based on QF thru finals in melbourne... although i wonder how slow that surface was versus clay (i think it was alot faster, even though announcers kept saying how slow it was).

anyone seen odds on french open? i see federer at 9/2 to win the grand slam on willhill.com

will anyone care if federer wins french open and is reigning champion in all 4 events (the "tiger slam")... people loved it in golf and gave it great importance, although golf it is much, much harder to consistently win tournaments (before anyone jumps or flames, i'm pretty sure the stats would back me as well as common sense).

BTW, the announcers were saying federer cruised to the australian open title. i thought he was one point away (numerous times) to having to win in 5 in both QF's and finals. i realize technically he wasn't down to set point in finals but double break would have been hard to come back from.

urban
01-30-2006, 06:07 AM
It is a long time until Paris. Important could be his scheduling: Is Federer really focussing on Paris and willing to play more on clay, or has he - like Sampras - Wimbledon in the back of the mind, which he doesn't want to sacrifice? He looked indeed more vulnerable at Melbourne (and at Flushing) than in the years before, but on the other hand showed great resilience and fighting spirit. Of course, a player of the calibre of Nadal would have fancied his chances more than the inexperienced Cypriot, who was mentally and physically not quite prepared for such a final. If he wins Paris, it would be a great achievement, a Rogi-Slam, but not the real thing. The time window for a real Grand Slam, which is bound to the season/year concept, is much smaller - you have only ca.10 chances in a career - and at its core, it includes the difficult Paris-Wimbledon combo.

arnz
01-30-2006, 06:07 AM
Did he reach the quarters or semis in Paris last year? I think its still his worst surface. However, Nadal isn't in his way this time, he won't meet him until he gets to the final, assuming he isnt taken out before then.

tom-selleck
01-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Did he reach the quarters or semis in Paris last year? I think its still his worst surface. However, Nadal isn't in his way this time, he won't meet him until he gets to the final, assuming he isnt taken out before then.

pretty sure he lost in semi's to nadal last year... would absolutely love to see him to take FO.. and then i think he'd be lay-up on other two.

this little "tiger slam" "fed slam" isn't generating much buzz. seems like he'll have to do the real thing.

Warriorroger
01-30-2006, 07:04 AM
I believe he can do it, but he has to change his game a bit to win it. He has to be brave and take forrays to the net, because he is too impatient for those long clay court battles. That's what happened against Nadal. Roger van do it, he has won clay tournaments unlike Sampras who hasn't won that many clay titles.

Californication
01-30-2006, 07:20 AM
I think Roger will complete his "Tiger" or "Serena" Slam this June by winning Roland Garros. I think he learned last year he cannot take Nadal for granted and will be a man on a mission in Paris. It's not like hes a bad claycourt player like Sampras was, Fed had 2 losses on the dirt last year, the Monte Carlo Masters quarterfinal to Gasquet who was playing out of his mind that day, and the Roland Garros semis to Nadal. He beat some quality opponents on his way to the Super 9 title in Hamburg, dominating Coria and Robredo, and beating Gasquet and Davydenko as well. So, in short, Fed can play on the dirt.

Nadal will give him trouble, but I just think Roger will be able to pull it out. I don't know why, I just feel Roger will finally win in Paris.

EmGee
01-30-2006, 07:44 AM
But just in case Federer win the whole shooting match......

Bring tissues. Lots of them.