PDA

View Full Version : Federer: getting bored/playing around

ferrari_827
01-30-2006, 08:02 AM
It seems to me that Federer pulls out his very best tennis at critical junctures of losing a match.

He seems to coast along at 70% then puts on the burners when in trouble. The problem is that he turns on the burner a bit too late for comfort sometmies, and this could cost him in big matches.

Then sometimes Fed seems to "play around" when he's really ahead, a sign of boredom. Example, in the final set against Baghdatis, it looked like Fed was tanking some shots, including a couple of silly drop shots, and a bunch of missed first serves.

ATXtennisaddict
01-30-2006, 08:49 AM
It seems to me that Federer pulls out his very best tennis at critical junctures of losing a match.

He seems to coast along at 70% then puts on the burners when in trouble. The problem is that he turns on the burner a bit too late for comfort sometmies, and this could cost him in big matches.

Then sometimes Fed seems to "play around" when he's really ahead, a sign of boredom. Example, in the final set against Baghdatis, it looked like Fed was tanking some shots, including a couple of silly drop shots, and a bunch of missed first serves.

I guess some ppl just enjoy putting themselves in a hole so they can dig their way out (it's a challenge)

nickybol
01-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Federer likes challenges. Just winning in three straight sets is no fun.

8PAQ
01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Federer is human. He gets nervous like the rest of us. Sometimes he doesn't feel confident to go on offensive so he plays defensively. He uses that time to figure out the opponent and then attacks when he gets his rhythm going.

No pro would ever intentionally loose games. Federer mentioned in an interview that his 2005 Wimbledon final was one of those few times where he could immediately find his rhythm and felt invincible right form the 1st game. Not every match is like that. Sometime it takes a set or two for that to happen.

AAAA
01-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Federer was net rushing far more at this year's Aus Open compared to any of his other 6 winning 'slam' runs. Federer didn't win the Aus Open playing his A,B,C or D game; He won using his new experimental net rushing game developed with input from Tony Roche. Give him time to fine-tune the classical net rushing game style.

sureshs
01-30-2006, 10:54 AM
He tried a few drop shots in the last set, probably to use that as a new weapon in the French.

byealmeens
01-30-2006, 02:49 PM
I think ferrari makes a good point. Federer has definitely gone through patches where he's seemed way off. He trys new tactics, gets a little casual, and the next thing you know he's lost a couple sets. The best example of this is the match against Haas. He was totally dominating Haas, and then started coming in more, making bad errors, and looking like anyone but Roger Federer. This seems a bit odd as Federer has traditionally been such a great closer, but now he seems to lose his focus at almost any point in the match.

Also, does anyone else think he's still not moving as well as he was before the injury? Especially moving up and back. I've never seen Federer make so many bad volley errors and miss so many overheads.

Marius_Hancu
01-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Also, does anyone else think he's still not moving as well as he was before the injury?

I think his best in terms of movement was 2004.
Just compare USO 2004 with 2005.

norcal
01-30-2006, 03:01 PM
He tried a few drop shots in the last set, probably to use that as a new weapon in the French.
No, he used the droppers cause Bags was wilting and cramping so Rog wanted to torture him. And it worked.

fastdunn
01-30-2006, 05:06 PM

I agree Federer did "play round" up until match with Haas and Davydenko.
Then he got serious, cleaned up his game from semi and final
where he played conservatively...

About the drop shots in the final set of the final, it's the right shots
to play. Baghdatis was clamping. I would drop shot him....

fastdunn
01-30-2006, 05:10 PM

I agree. His movement is noticably slower than couple of top players now.

His serving quality also went down. Maybe opposition got
stronger but he is getting broken a lot more now...

whistleway
01-30-2006, 05:23 PM

I mentioned the same thing while watching the match with his friend. Federer in 2004 was a joy, a bliss to watch !!

uNIVERSE mAN
01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
maybe because every single tennis player wasn't gunning for him and he had zero pressure?

Donnie Darko
01-30-2006, 07:41 PM
No, he used the droppers cause Bags was wilting and cramping so Rog wanted to torture him. And it worked.

He seems to enjoy doing that after he has the match all wrapped up. He was dropping against Agassi in the last couple games of the USO final last summer........no point in doing it, other than to show Agassi up. McEnroe even commented that it wasn't too cool.

Journeyman
01-30-2006, 09:09 PM
He was dropping on the returns and poor old Agassi nearly killed himself in the last 20 minutes. I noticed that while players like Baghdatis are getting all excited and playing their best they'll pull ahead of Federer slightly and he make some errors. The expression on his face after losing a set or two is like, "Wow, look what you made me do! Good job buddy!" Then he rips the guy's heart out at the end by playing beyond andyone else's skill level. I'm glad he did this to Baghdatis especially since Baghdatis thought he was too cool for school and just beating him wouldn't have been enough.