PDA

View Full Version : Could Roddick become like Agassi?

eric draven
01-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Agassi reached a point where he knew his tactics had to match his skills so he changed his approach to the game and began to dictate as opposed to simply power through the ball. When he did this his confidence went up and he challenged Sampras with some of the best matches of their careers (albeit Pete usually came out on top) and his GS total obviously went up.

The point is: does Roddick have the game and the ability to utilize new tactics? I disagree with him trying to come into the net as often as he does, he's not comfortable up there and he doesn't have the approach shots to do it. His backhand becomes a liability at times, especially on the run. I think if he learned to control the court more and lessen his need to run this weakness wouldn't be exploited as much. He just doesn't have Hewitt-like footspeed or footwork to play extended rallies where he's not in control of the point.

There's no question he's talented but is he applying it to his game correctly?

Noelle
01-30-2006, 08:28 AM
The strokes are there (except for the volleys. :p ) His main problem is his head; when he starts playing not to lose, he gets in trouble. He just doesn't have very good defense.

Grimjack
01-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Simply: no.

Agassi was able to dictate because he played so far forward. He hit the ball as hard as anybody to begin with, but add in the fact that he cut the ball off so quickly and cleanly, and the result is that an opponent has so little time to react that it's as if Agassi is hitting the ball 20 mph faster than his opponents.

Roddick doesn't possess the quickness or athleticism to do that. Quite the contrary, in fact. His motor skills are obviously slow enough that he can't feel comfortable rallying anywhere other than 10 feet behind the baseline. This has the opposite effect. It's as if his groundies are coming 20 mph slower. His "huge" FH is thus to a great extent neutralized, and his weak backhand becomes an absolute target. I see no evidence that this is anything he will be able to overcome.

His history has shown that he can only dictate with his serve. As that slows down a bit over time, and as more and more people adjust to it, he will only be able to dictate less and less. He should cease to become a factor anywhere other than grass, where the serve alone can still carry the day.

breakfast_of_champions
01-30-2006, 09:02 AM
he's a lot like agassi at this stage, an underachiever. andy needs to stop counting his money and play with some heart, much like andre had to. and i think he could improve. andy is bigger, faster, and has bigger weapons the than andre did.

splink779
01-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Anyone think Roddick is rolling his forehand much more than in 2003? He used to hit it quite flat and hard, now he hits with a huge loop. I think that alone would help his game if he went back to going for it, like he said he was going to do.

Tchocky
01-30-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't think Roddick will ever achieve half of what Agassi has achieved. I doubt he will ever win another slam or become number 1.

ibemadskillzz
01-30-2006, 09:19 AM
All of roddicks shots are horrible and have horrible form, you can not be a great player with a horrible looking mechanics. Agassi has a horrible looking forehand (forehand is out of control because of his semi-western grip) but has a good looking backhand. Also roddick has a weird looking serve, just trying to kill the ball at all times. Watch Safin, Federer, and Juan Carlos, they all have great form and can win many slams if they improve.

@wright
01-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Anyone think Roddick is rolling his forehand much more than in 2003? He used to hit it quite flat and hard, now he hits with a huge loop. I think that alone would help his game if he went back to going for it, like he said he was going to do.

That's what I've been saying since last year. His shots just don't have the sting they used to. He hits with WAY too much spin, instead of going for flat winners like Fed and other fast surface players can do, including Andre. Andy's bh will never be a good weapon, but he needs to hit that fh on the rise and with less spin. If he could do that, his forays to the net would work much better. Being way behind the baseline on fast surfaces rarely works for an aggressive player.

arnz
01-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Andre has a way better return game than Roddick, but A Rod has a much bigger serve. I heard that Roddick is going to try to come closer to the baseline and take more chances, lets see how successful he can be. It may be an inborn talent for Andre, he was born with excellent eye hand coordination and reflexes

tenalyser
01-30-2006, 11:45 AM
All of roddicks shots are horrible and have horrible form, you can not be a great player with a horrible looking mechanics. Agassi has a horrible looking forehand (forehand is out of control because of his semi-western grip) but has a good looking backhand. Also roddick has a weird looking serve, just trying to kill the ball at all times. Watch Safin, Federer, and Juan Carlos, they all have great form and can win many slams if they improve.

:confused: huh? I don't get your point here. Federer has already won 7 Grand Slams and Is on his way to be one of the greatest players ever and Safin is the only one in my view that can compete with a in-form Federer even to he can be a head case sometimes he still is one of the greatest talent ever ans surely doesn't have to improve his game ( he won 2 Slams and can win more if he concentrates on tennis rater than chasing womans) . So please explain me that sentence cause I'm a bit :confused:

jgunnink
01-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think Roddick has horrible form. I think his strokes are actually too mundane. They have too much topspin, and carry neither the finesse and placement of Federer, or the sheer power of Safin.

Safin hits the ball flat and hard, with great weight. He's the only one who can use power as a weapon against Federer, and everything has to be clicking for him to do it (e.g. last year's AO semi final, one of the greatest matches ever.)

Especially on Rebound Ace, Roddick will struggle. With all that topspin the ball just sits up, waiting to be crushed. If he's not painting lines then I don't see him winning there. He can continue to get to semis and quarters, and maybe even the occasional final, but unless Federer gets knocked out, I don't see it.

Either that or Federer can hand him a walkover championship like Henin-Hardenne did to Mauresmo.

donnyz89
01-30-2006, 11:55 AM

They might look wierd but he is using all the correct main mechanics.

He gets criticized for his serve a lot but the truth is, his serve is amazing. He does all the right things. He pushes with his back leg, he cocks his shoulder and he explodes up with his leg bend. He gets great power and spin. He could work on placement more thats for sure but even without it, you cant tell me his serve isnt one of the best on tour.

I'm not talking out of my *** here, the head pro at my club who happens to be one of the top hundred coaches in the US told me. Even my serve improved trememdously after taking in a few tips.

Talk about bad serves, what about venus williams? and you wonder why she has so many wrist problems. bad mechanics, not Andy though. Thats why he is hardly injured. Not saying his mechanics are awesome, but its definitly not something thats holding him back.

arnz
01-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah ibemadskillz, whatever it is you're smoking must be really good, pass it around dude :)

devila
01-30-2006, 01:32 PM
He can hardly take a few steps before giving up on reaching the ball. He always had a weight problem. The press asked him about pumping iron and he answered "yes." Instead of losing the pounds, he keeps the excess weight.

What can you expect from a product of parental greed? They can try to hide that by managing his charity foundation, but everyone knows that he's living out his brother's dream.

Roddick is playing just for money and admits that he just throws the serve in the court and bashes the ball.
For 2 years, his serve got returned easily and he was shocked to see the winners whipping by. He strained his muscles with bad serve mechanics and poor footwork in October.

Are you kidding me? He's too stubborn to make an effort to hit earlier.
A little earlier hitting and flatter forehand, backhand and good court positions are enough to improve a lot.

As far as the rankings go, he can't care less. The wimp avoided Masters Cup.

superman1
01-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Devila...you're pathetic. Did you have a crush on Roddick before but grew out of it? Did you ask him for an autograph once and he signed one for someone else instead?

Roddick definitely has to change a few things if he wants to win more Slams. As it is, he can pound the hell out of most players, but as he gets deeper in a tournament he starts dealing with talent and chokes on that. He's going to need to suck it up and learn to adapt to different opponents and change his game. He has enough game to beat anybody, but the head isn't always there. When something isn't working in a match, change it! He'll never become like Agassi just like most basketball players could never become like Jordan, but he could at least win a few more Slams.

Tennis_Monk
01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
he's a lot like agassi at this stage, an underachiever. andy needs to stop counting his money and play with some heart, much like andre had to. and i think he could improve. andy is bigger, faster, and has bigger weapons the than andre did.

Not even close. Andre and Andy are not even in same zip code of champions.
I like Roddick but i like Andre more.
If they are to play any player in the league (except Sampras,myself and federer) , Andre has more chance of beating them than Andy.

Andy's serve is greatly neutralized by variety of tactics and these days just about every top #50 Pro has a great forehand (unless u r talking Santaro)

Andre can power off both wings, fleet mover, xcellent return game and solid tactics and execution.

superman1
01-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Agassi's serve is getting very good nowadays. He served 10 aces today in two quick sets.

LN_Dad
01-30-2006, 08:45 PM

Agassi has a horrible forehand? It's time for you to put down the crack pipe, man. AA has one of the best forehands on the tour!!

superman1
01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
If he didn't have a great forehand, he wouldn't be able to play the game the way he plays it. He has no weaknesses except for speed, which he makes up for by hitting the ball better than anyone.

Andy Hewitt
01-30-2006, 08:52 PM
You mean bald?

ibemadskillzz
01-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Agassi has a horrible forehand? It's time for you to put down the crack pipe, man. AA has one of the best forehands on the tour!!

Are you kidding, I agree that AA has one of the best 2handed backhands, powerful and good placement and control. But his forehand is out of control, most of his errors come from his forehand, he doesn't have much margin of error on the forehand because he flats the ball out.

fishuuuuu
01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Are you kidding, I agree that AA has one of the best 2handed backhands, powerful and good placement and control. But his forehand is out of control, most of his errors come from his forehand, he doesn't have much margin of error on the forehand because he flats the ball out.

I'm actually with LN_Dad on this one. His ability to take shots on the rise (well) for either groundstroke has allowed him to remain in the game successfully.

LN_Dad
01-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I watched Agassi's practices up close before and it's just awesome so see how smooth and powerful his strokes are.

alienhamster
01-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Especially on Rebound Ace, Roddick will struggle. With all that topspin the ball just sits up, waiting to be crushed. If he's not painting lines then I don't see him winning there. He can continue to get to semis and quarters, and maybe even the occasional final, but unless Federer gets knocked out, I don't see it. I don't agree here completely. Overall, yes, he's hitting with too much spin. But the spin wouldn't be a problem--and in fact could help his game--if he could hit it deeper into the court (on Rebound Ace and clay anyway). Additonally, though, he needs to flatten out the kill shots, or even flatten some out just to mix things up. I swear he used to be able to do this really well.

As to the original question, I pretty much agree with Grimjack, except for the message of doom for Andy. Roddick doesn't have the (seemingly innate) ability to take the ball early like Agassi. He can (and I think will) get better at it over time, but probably never anywhere close to Agassi. I just don't see Roddick turning his game around in the same way.

RiosTheGenius
01-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Roddick will start playing better when he stops being a showman. he needs to mature in that regard , then he can be like Agassi no problem.