PDA

View Full Version : Leaving broken strings on racket

ATXtennisaddict
01-30-2006, 08:51 AM
How bad can would it be? I'm going to remove them later today but I broke them last night.

Kevo
01-30-2006, 02:14 PM
One busted string won't hurt anything. Now if you break 4 or 5 of them, I would cut them out ASAP as that would mean a 200-300 pound differential depending on what the tension was when they broke.

156MPHserve
01-30-2006, 05:00 PM
It will stress the racquet... you should really cut the strings ASAP after it breaks.

TLM_01
01-30-2006, 05:12 PM
whoa.....I was just about to post a thread regarding this exact topic. Anymore thoughts anyone?

bennieboi
01-30-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm curious, how does broken strings add so much stress to the frame? because it seems odd to me, if so, wouldn't a newly strung racquet have more stress than a broken one? When you break them, woulnd't you release tension and also meaning less stress? Someone explain to me, because it doesn't make sense? how does Newly strung racqet lets say strung at 60lbs, jump to 200lbs when they break?:confused: :confused: wouldn't it make it less stress?

JackD
01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
The stringing processes puts lots of stress on the frame because tension is not balanced evenly through the racquet until all the strings are tensioned. The mains are also installed first because its easier of the frame to start w/the mains. When you break "usually its a main" the crosses are still at your desired tension (if using 2piece/ still some if using 1pc) which is going to cause the frame to distort via the sides being pulled together without the compensation of the mains to maintain the shape of the hoop.