PDA

View Full Version : Maximum control: racquet and string recommendations

southend
01-30-2006, 08:21 AM
I am a 3.5 player and want to know if there are recommendations for optimum control and spin when it comes to racquet(s) and string(s). I may be searching for that golden bullet, but there have to be some "true" differences in equipment. I am an avid golfer and do know there are equipment differences.

panic
01-30-2006, 09:59 AM
It depends on how you play. Do you hit with heavy spin, play all court, baseline or serve&volley, how heavy racquet you want and so on. More information is needed for suggestions. For control and spin you can use some stiffer string like alu power and string it higher.

oldguysrule
01-30-2006, 10:13 AM
There is a great deal of differences in tennis equipment. Weight, balance, flex, frame composition, size, etc. all play a factor in how a racquet performs. Not only that, but things like where the racquet flexes and how the weight is distributed will impact performance characteristics. Then there are loads of different kinds of strings which will enhance or detract from the frame you have. To put this into a golfers context...you wouldn't walk into a pro shop and ask for the driver with the most control. It doesn't exist. You have to match your equipment to your game and you will have to make sacrifices in one area in order to maximize another area.

As the previous poster said: tell us about your game. You will get many suggestions...narrow those down to 5-6 racquets and then demo them to find the racquet that fits your game. good luck.

oldguysrule
01-30-2006, 10:18 AM
1. what are you playing with now?
2. what do you like/dislike about it?
3. As mentioned earlier, what kind of game do you have?
4. how old are you? how long have you been playing?
5. what kind of shape are you in? any injuries to shoulder, elbow?
6. what are the strengths and weaknesses in your game?

These are questions that you will need to answer in order to get good advice.

southend
01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
1. Thank you "Panic" and "OldguysRule" --- I am 50 and have been playing for at least 40 years -- fairly athletic (I can run down most any balls), injury free. Mostly a baseliner with some power although I try to hit a topspin forehand -- closed face to the ground throughout backswing using semi western grip. But too often hit long. I play doubles (only) at least once a week with a group of 3.5 to 4.0 men.
2. I have begun to play USTA mixed doubles and found that in the 3.5 group, they tend to not hit with power and they hit short. I should come to the net, but that said, if I stay back and am hitting shots at mid court, I would like to be able to hit with greater topspin to bring the ball down into the court quicker.
3. I play with just about anything -- I currently play with a Wilson Hammer Hyper Carbon Rollers 6.6 and Prince Triple Threat Stealth with NXT sensation (17 gauge and ~60lbs).
I would sacrifice power for greater control --- considering 18 gauge strings now. I've tried a Wilson T5 and the newer Babolat which seem OK as due most new racquets that you demo/don't own.
Thanks to all for advice.

panic
01-30-2006, 11:21 AM
You should try Volkl C10 Pro, Tour 10 V-Engine/Gen2 and the new Fischer, the M Speed. For more control you shouldn't use multis. You should try Luxilon ALU power and other polys

bluegrasser
01-30-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd try the Lm mp Prestige or new flex point, or the 95' 6.1 ncode for control and some pop, if 12 oz is too much weight, then try the Dunlop 300 mfil at a pretty good price.

oldguysrule
01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Here is my suggestion for the type of racquet that you should look for to enhance control, spin, manuevarability, and playability. Weight = 11-12 oz. Flex = less than 65. Swingweight = 310 - 320. 16x18 string pattern. Balance = 6-10 points headlight. You can use the Racquet Finder feature on TW to find a number of racquets that fit these specs. Also, there are racquets that fall out of these specs that are very good.

Volkl and ProKennex have a strong following on this forum but almost all of the racquet companies have a racquet that would work for you.

As far as strings go, stay away from polys. They have a specific purpose which would not enhance your game. Do a search.