PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive hybrid suggestions

duffman
01-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Looking for inexpensive hybrid suggestions for my ncode 6.1 95's. Thus far I've been using prince synthetic gut w/ duraflex and also have tried wilson synthetic gut extreme as well as toa gold. I've have also tried luxilon BB rough.

I was not a fan of the feel of the BB, the stringbed just felt dead to me. I like the crisp feel of the synthetic gut and the price is right, but the durability is really lacking. I tend to swing fast and hit with alot of spin and all of the synthetic guts are lasting about 10-12 sets on avg which translates to about a week of play.

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive solution that plays much like the synthetic gut, but lasts a bit longer. How much longer would the synthetic last if I strung it in the mains and used a poly in the crosses? Looking forward to any suggestions...

Gaines Hillix
01-30-2006, 11:31 AM
For most players the mains are going to break first because they saw back and forth against the crosses, so most people put the more durable string in the mains. Try one of the softer polys like Kirsch Touch Turbo in the mains with your syn gut in the crosses. Drop the tension by about 10% versus your nomal tension to adjust for the stiffness of the poly.

babar
01-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi Gaines,

Should you drop the tension of the polys (mains), crosses (syn gut), or both?

barry
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Looking for inexpensive hybrid suggestions for my ncode 6.1 95's. Thus far I've been using prince synthetic gut w/ duraflex and also have tried wilson synthetic gut extreme as well as toa gold. I've have also tried luxilon BB rough.

I was not a fan of the feel of the BB, the stringbed just felt dead to me. I like the crisp feel of the synthetic gut and the price is right, but the durability is really lacking. I tend to swing fast and hit with alot of spin and all of the synthetic guts are lasting about 10-12 sets on avg which translates to about a week of play.

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive solution that plays much like the synthetic gut, but lasts a bit longer. How much longer would the synthetic last if I strung it in the mains and used a poly in the crosses? Looking forward to any suggestions...

You might give Gosen Polylon SP 17 a try, it is very lively poly string which last a long time. I bought a reel, and several customers love it. Strung 2 hybridsís using synthetic gut crosses and SP mains. Also a couple with straight poly SP.
I use Polylon 17 (deader version), and the SP is just a bit to lively for me. If you like PSG you will love the poly, plus it does not move around in your racket which is a plus.

Tension wise, I usually start at the middle of the range. I am testing a Wilson 6.1 95 (16x18) strung with poly SP at 54 and so far it plays strong.

TW sells a reel of SP for $49 660' and polylon sells for 29.95 660'.

scotus
01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Is Polylon SP easier on the arm than Polylon Ice?

safin_protege
01-30-2006, 03:14 PM
I'd suggest Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey in the mains and a cheap synthetic gut like Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex in the crosses.

BaseLineBash
01-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Spikey also works well with Prince synthetic.

barry
01-31-2006, 05:15 AM
Is Polylon SP easier on the arm than Polylon Ice?

I tried Gosen ice, but never really cared for it, kind of a mushy string. In my opinion the SP is the best Gosen poly and gives you some extra zip on your shots.
Most elbow and arm issues are not string issues, but more how you hit the ball, or the racket you are swinging. If you get a really lousy string job, varying tensions, it could cause vibration and maybe some arm issues, but stroke technique is more important
No complaints on the Gosen Poly, customers love it and so do I. Price is very reasonable.

Gaines Hillix
01-31-2006, 06:36 AM
Hi Gaines,

Should you drop the tension of the polys (mains), crosses (syn gut), or both?

I always start with both at the same tension. If I want to soften it up even further then I drop the crosses a couple of lbs.

babar
02-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the advice Gaines.

SteveI
02-01-2006, 08:51 AM
You might give Gosen Polylon SP 17 a try, it is very lively poly string which last a long time. I bought a reel, and several customers love it. Strung 2 hybridsís using synthetic gut crosses and SP mains. Also a couple with straight poly SP.
I use Polylon 17 (deader version), and the SP is just a bit to lively for me. If you like PSG you will love the poly, plus it does not move around in your racket which is a plus.

Tension wise, I usually start at the middle of the range. I am testing a Wilson 6.1 95 (16x18) strung with poly SP at 54 and so far it plays strong.

TW sells a reel of SP for $49 660' and polylon sells for 29.95 660'.

Barry,

I have to second your experience with the Polyon Ice and SP. I use both with Forten Sweet. No arm pain and a nice crisp response and little or no string movement.

Regards,
Steve

avdiscolo
02-01-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm playing with Prince Polygut mains and PSGD crosses right now. This combination is definitely worth a try.

Anthony

duffman
02-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Had some Alu BB and toa gold laying around so I gave this combo a shot. Strung the BB at 54 lbs for the mains and the Toa @ 60 lbs for the crosses. Definately not a fan of this hybrid. The stringbed felt dead and mushy. Groundstrokes felt sluggish and if I tried to put any oomph on them they wound up flying long. My serve also felt like it had nothing behind it and I usually serve pretty big. The search continues...