PDA

View Full Version : RSI Picture

Steve Huff
01-30-2006, 04:15 PM
In the new RSI mag, the add about Bob Patterson shows him stringing a Prince racket (page 12-14??). He has just tensioned the TOP cross, and is getting ready to tie off. His store, RacquetMaxx was one of the "Stringers of the Year" last year. He just strung the crosses from bottom to top. USRSA suggests always stringing crosses from top to bottom, and here you have one of the best being shown stringing from bottom to top. RSI needs to edit it's pictures a little more carefully. I think Wilson is the only company that has a bottom to top recommendation in their 1-piece stringing, and even then, it's probably not the best idea.

NoBadMojo
01-30-2006, 04:43 PM
In the new RSI mag, the add about Bob Patterson shows him stringing a Prince racket (page 12-14??). He has just tensioned the TOP cross, and is getting ready to tie off. His store, RacquetMaxx was one of the "Stringers of the Year" last year. He just strung the crosses from bottom to top. USRSA suggests always stringing crosses from top to bottom, and here you have one of the best being shown stringing from bottom to top. RSI needs to edit it's pictures a little more carefully. I think Wilson is the only company that has a bottom to top recommendation in their 1-piece stringing, and even then, it's probably not the best idea.

Ok Steve..let's process this....is there a way he could have been stringing in some ATW pattern making this acceptable?? If not, this is indeed pretty sad. I rarely do ATW, finding it fine to just 2 piece it.

RacquetDoctor
01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Actually, how about if he had the top cross secured with a starting clamp...finished the bottoms,then went back to the top to retension and tie off...

I've done that many times... no harm no foul.

Masamusou
01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
If it's a Prince racquet with a 16x19 pattern, on the ATW pattern you start with the second cross from the top and tension the top cross last. I don't see any problem with that pattern.

Steve Huff
01-30-2006, 08:18 PM
The other clamp was on the 2nd cross, so I doubt he was doing any ATW pattern or using a starting clamp. Greg Raven, you need to chime in here.

JackD
02-01-2006, 09:03 AM
I just got mine in the mail today and wanted to check out the pick. The clamps are on the top two crosses which wouldn't happen with ATW the second to the last clamp should be on the last main. I'm with you Steve.

Gaines Hillix
02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
What model Prince racquet is it? I've seen the occasional bottom up pattern for Prince frames in the USRSA stringers guide(much to my surprise).

Steve Huff
02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
It's on page 13. It is a black and red racket with the sweetspot suspension system. Maybe an older model TT Hornet.

gregraven
02-01-2006, 02:54 PM
The other clamp was on the 2nd cross, so I doubt he was doing any ATW pattern or using a starting clamp. Greg Raven, you need to chime in here.

Chime, chime, chime. I'm not part of the magazine lay-out process, but I'll bet we got one or two photos, and the art director selected the photo she liked best. If you have a question about Bob's stringing technique, why not contact him directly? There is an address, phone number, and e-mail address on his site.

gregraven
02-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Here's the deal. That photo was taken at Wimbledon a couple of years ago. The order was for stringers to do the crosses from the bottom up, so that's what they did. However, we will endeavor to obtain new photos for future use. Thanks for pointing this out.

Steve Huff
02-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Greg.