PDA

View Full Version : Federer's serve has gone off?

AJK1
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I was watching Federer's matches at the OZ open and i was quite frustrated at the amount of 1st serves that he was missing. He usually gets a few free points but in the last couple of tournaments he's played he has missed a lot. Would his ankle be the cause, or has he changed his motion? His ball toss seems to have a bigger curve on it from the past couple of years. Comments?

arnz
01-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I think you are right. I just watched his match against Sampras, and he was almost matching Pete in aces and service winners, and we all know Pete is the greatest server of all time.

But he doesnt do that anymore. He has to work much harder than pete did to win points, so I'm a little concerned about his longevity/health.

uNIVERSE mAN
01-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Did you perhaps consider how slow the rebound ace surface is?? Sampras couldn't hold serve easily there either.

supersmash
01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Maybe he's just bored. Maybe he wants to hit a couple of balls and then win the point.

FalconX
01-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Federer's serve is no where as important for him as Sampras' was. Sampras from the baseline was not the best player, where as roger can hang with the best of them.

becker33
01-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Federer was using his kick serve more in Oz. The slow surface makes it harder to hit aces, so he used the surface to his advantage to make his opponents hit tougher shots on their returns. Typical Federer genius hard at work

dennis10is
01-30-2006, 06:43 PM
He's trying to kick it more but in the finals Fed was struggling to serve wide on the ad court, the percentage was better in the 3rd set but I think he was very nervous and it showed.

Marius_Hancu
01-30-2006, 06:49 PM
I think Roger 2004 was his tops in terms of movement and power.

He will need to start to work harder on his conditioning and if you read his AO final interview, he's aware of it.

And I am sure his latest injury will make him even more convinced of that. As he mentions, the balance will need to be between flexibility and strength/power.

BabolatFan
01-30-2006, 07:06 PM
I was watching Federer's matches at the OZ open and i was quite frustrated at the amount of 1st serves that he was missing. He usually gets a few free points but in the last couple of tournaments he's played he has missed a lot. Would his ankle be the cause, or has he changed his motion? His ball toss seems to have a bigger curve on it from the past couple of years. Comments?

Well Federer was noticeably nervous in the 1st and 2nd set especially. He also made alot of unforced errors and missed some gimme's. At the same time, he was trying to stay focused and played it somewhat safe down the stretch. I really liked RF's kickers to the Ad court. Very effective. Eventually MB tired himself out playing his game running all over the court.
Confucius says you don't need a cannon to kill a fly. LoL.