PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone regret breaking racquets out of anger?

dl125
01-30-2006, 06:25 PM
When I was younger I broke SO MANY racquets out of anger (I must have looked so stupid)...Probably because my dad bought me racquets or I got cheap deals from friends. Being old and paying for my own stuff; I baby my racquet now and get BUMMED if even a scratch shows up. I regret the most breaking a couple Boris Becker Supers (now they're collectable) Let's see...I can add: 3 pro staff 6.0's, a couple Donnay Pro Ones, a couple Dunlops, a butt load of Pro-Kennex. Geez, maybe I need to call my dad and thank him. Is there anyone else who didn't get the anger management memo?

bennieboi
01-30-2006, 06:28 PM
NO! because it's fun, i've broke atleast 13 already.... but then again, i'm just messing around, i've got to a point where i was about to break one, well, maybe.

Mr.Federer
01-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Never broke a racket, never will. I respect my frame, it's not the racket's fault you suck...it yours.

samster
01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Tried breaking one when I was a teenager...but failed.

Felt pretty stupid afterwards. I think the better plan is to sell the racket and get rid of it.

backhand_finish
01-30-2006, 06:39 PM
i did and really regretted it straight away when i saw ma racket n how much the thing means to me.. sob ;) (fed style)

jackson vile
01-30-2006, 06:43 PM
One of the dumbest ignorant un-tennis like things you could ever do:eek:

proxemo666
01-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I've only played with prestige classics and have broken 3 of them in my day. This is before they became scarce though. I just bought 3 more and now I treat them better than gold.

golden chicken
01-30-2006, 07:14 PM
technically i never broke a racket out of anger....but i'm sure that whacking them on the court contributed to a weakening that led to it breaking while hitting a volley. whoops! still can't find one like it--pro kennex ls composite os or something like that

theazneyes
01-30-2006, 07:18 PM
I've thrown mine numerous times, but make sure it doesn't land vertically. Horizontal throws are fine.

gshaffer23
01-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Broke two in one year a little while back.... haven't thrown one since! Dumbest thing I ever did........ TWICE!

Amone
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Man, I break 'em all the time out of anger. I just get such a kick out of flushing a thousand dollars down the toilet every four or five months... >_>

But seriously, dude, you gotta respect your equipment. If you don't, what can you respect? And if you haven't got any respect, how can you expect to win even a single point, never mind a whole match?

Capt. Willie
01-30-2006, 07:47 PM
I smashed a POG over a net post many years ago...but the thing I regret even more is selling a bunch of wood racquets to a guy I used to play with for practically nothing.

becker33
01-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I think everyone who has broken a racquet out of anger regrets it later. I rarely throw mine, and never throw them very hard. Somehow, I managed to break a few and was even more upset at myself after that. I rarely blame playing badly on my racquet, but it's the only way I know to release my anger on a tennis court.

TennisAsAlways
01-30-2006, 08:13 PM
I have broken two composite racquets last year. The first one broke from a forehand risk shot and the second one from a serve. As far as breaking frames out of anger,........ **eh hemm**no comment on that!

All I have to say is, if you must hurl your frame straight down into the ground, make sure you are using a western grip!

darkblue
01-30-2006, 08:30 PM
broke:

pro kennex air lite? smashed it against the net post. (and it was not mine!)
wilon TBS 95 smashed it against the chair...

lesson learned:

don't take it out on the equipment. it feels worse (than just playing bad) afterwards.

aznkb888
01-30-2006, 08:53 PM
i used to throw my racquet. my ti. radical handle is kinda messed up now w/ a weird dent in the buttcap. usually i threw it against the fence though, so it wouldn't really break...though one time it into the fence that my varsity coach was playing on and he wasn't real pleased..hahaha. never broke one before, i can't really imagine how hard i'd have to throw it to break it...kinda don't want to find out either hahaha

Davai
01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
I have never actually broke it. Actually it sounds quite pitiful to what others did. So here is what I regret for: I was playing with a racket that was different from mine and it was very heavily but superficially scratched. But after I lost a game the thing went flying out of my hand directed at the net, something that I have never done before. The racket went over the net by like a whole foot at a high RPM. Compared to what was already on the racket it's not a big deal, but still I feel Bad. I'm so sorry. One good thing about the racket is that it looks like a tank and still goes as strong.

dump_can
01-30-2006, 09:56 PM
I was recently playing a tournament and lost to a pusher (very smart player). I smashed my racket out of anger, then somebody told me if you ever feel like breaking a racquet you might as well just give it to some kid. After that I realized I'm not going to get any better getting angry so I must change, and if I ever feel like breaking another racquet I will just give it away.

Robbie_1988
01-30-2006, 10:05 PM
I've never thrown my rackets. They're like babies to me. I love and cherish them. My babies are the Pro Staff 6.0 85, 2 x Pro Staff Tour 90s and 2 x Nsix One Tour 90s.

Atomic_Sheep
01-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Treated my first racket like dog ehem... that was like a 30 AUS dollar Slazenger junior racket (my very first one) didnt break thou. Broke my second racket... some Head one... cant remember which one it was. Smashed it against the ground and bend the thing in half... well it wasbent to a 30 degree angle (I was 11 or 12). An just broke my pro staff classic 6.1 (slipped out of my hand whilst serving). Never regreted what I did to the Slazenger... and never had a second thought about the Head. I absolutely loved my wilson. And I treated it like a baby (Like i hit it against the ground when reaching for balls and was losing balance in the process hard not do... mind you after years of playing it obviously wasnt scratch free). But I sincerely regret breaking it. But time to move on. Looking for my next racket. Hard task. Nothing has felt right... don't want to buy the same one as they are getting old... maybe stupid of me but I donno... I'll see.

RiosTheGenius
01-30-2006, 10:43 PM
you know what I learned my lesson the first time I did that.... I save really hard to buy my racquets, it's not smart and it really hurts when they break. plus you look like a real idiot doing that unless you're a pro. ..... well, they look stupid too but at least they don't pay for them, we do.

Deuce
01-31-2006, 12:41 AM
When people throw or slam racquets, it's not because they're 'blaming' the racquet - it's simply because there is need for a release of anger.

I've thrown many racquets many times over the years. Only one that broke was the first real racquet I ever owned - 25 years ago. Eventually, the bottom part of the handle just broke off. I reckon my throwing it around in anger had something to do with that.

Since that time, I've simply become more wise in my anger. I learned to throw the racquet(s) efficiently, effectively, and safely. The throw is dependent on both the surface on which I'm playing, as well as my proximity within the court area. If I'm within 15 feet of the net, for example, I may whip it into the net - although I have foolishly thrown it into the net from the baseline a few times (and fortunately haven't missed the net yet). Indoors, I'll also throw it against the vinyl backdrops behind the baseline. On rubber carpet, I can bounce the racquet - or launch it flat - the rubber won't damage it. Don't want to make the same throw on the Har-True - because it'll scratch the crap out of the frame. Hard courts are the most difficult to throw on. It's more of just a drop on the hard courts. Artificial grass is good - but if you skid the frame, it'll get scratched from the sand. You can throw it straight down flat on the artificial grass without a problem, though.

jonolau
01-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Breaking your own racquet is one thing ... it is an even bigger insult to the court floor/net which has kindly brought you many more hours of joy and recreation ...

I have lost my temper a couple of times (at myself), but work it off by tapping the edge of racquet on my shoe sole.

jonolau
01-31-2006, 01:17 AM
When people throw or slam racquets, it's not because they're 'blaming' the racquet - it's simply because there is need for a release of anger.

I've thrown many racquets many times over the years. Only one that broke was the first real racquet I ever owned - 25 years ago. Eventually, the bottom part of the handle just broke off. I reckon my throwing it around in anger had something to do with that.

Since that time, I've simply become more wise in my anger. I learned to throw the racquet(s) efficiently, effectively, and safely. The throw is dependent on both the surface on which I'm playing, as well as my proximity within the court area. If I'm within 15 feet of the net, for example, I may whip it into the net - although I have foolishly thrown it into the net from the baseline a few times (and fortunately haven't missed the net yet). Indoors, I'll also throw it against the vinyl backdrops behind the baseline. On rubber carpet, I can bounce the racquet - or launch it flat - the rubber won't damage it. Don't want to make the same throw on the Har-True - because it'll scratch the crap out of the frame. Hard courts are the most difficult to throw on. It's more of just a drop on the hard courts. Artificial grass is good - but if you skid the frame, it'll get scratched from the sand. You can throw it straight down flat on the artificial grass without a problem, though.
I had a good laugh reading your post. I presume it didn't really happen ...

kabob
01-31-2006, 02:00 AM
In high school, broke a Dunlop Revelation XL 90 by accident when I served into the fence out of anger after double faulting during a tournament. Hands were sweaty and the damn thing slipped out. Returned it for another one at the shop I bought it from, haha.

Broke a Dunlop 300G while hitting an overhead about a year and a half ago. It had hairline cracked at the throat when I slammed it in the court on a previous point. Dunlop took that back and swapped it for another since it broke at such a weird spot.

Last year, cracked one of my PS Tour 90s while trying to serve. It wasn't even out of anger, just a combination of a worn out overgrip and sweaty palms :(

SteveI
01-31-2006, 02:06 AM
Hi,

Since I work with many young players and they often see me play matches.. no way I can display that sort of behavior on the court or off.. just can't do it. Have a good one.

Regards,
Steve

La Bomba
01-31-2006, 02:21 AM
I have never broken a racquet, but sometimes i think about, but I know if I do i won't be getting another one. Anyways if you really need to express your anger, don't take it out on your expensive racquets, why not just buy a few racquets off **** for 10 dollars or so, and just smash them. Then years on, you might not regret it as much as with an expensive frame.

Deuce
01-31-2006, 02:26 AM
I had a good laugh reading your post. I presume it didn't really happen ...
You presume that what didn't really happen?

I don't mind if you laugh. This is but a brief outline of the 'racquet throwing guidelines', taken from my 25 years of experience on the courts.

djones
01-31-2006, 04:36 AM
I regret breaking my:

Old Dunlop racquet 96'
Old Slazenger racquet 97'
Prince precision Whisperer 98'
Prince Michael Chang oversize 99'
Head Ti Radical oversize 00'
Some unknown Wilson racquet also 00' I believe.
Head I Radical MP, by accident 04'
And another I Radical MP, dropped out of my hand while serving 04':-(

And I felt most sorry for my parents, who still paid for my racquets untill the year 2000!

And my Dunlop Jonathan Power Hotmelt Pro Squash racquet, last week:-)!

backcourt
01-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Breaking your own racquet is one thing ... it is an even bigger insult to the court floor/net which has kindly brought you many more hours of joy and recreation ...

I have lost my temper a couple of times (at myself), but work it off by tapping the edge of racquet on my shoe sole.
I resorted to the tap on the edge of my shoe method, but a couple of years ago I must have gone beyond a tap and hit my shoe a little too hard. My yonex frame cracked right where the throat meets the head; and the frames have been discontinued. I learned a leason that day.

tennisnj
01-31-2006, 07:18 AM
I regret breaking one of my Prince Synergy OS DB 26's in High School playing a pick-up match one summer. I was in the process of blowing my 3rd 4-0 lead in a singles match, so I took the racquet & wrapped it around the netpost so that the handle was on one side of the net & the head the other. It was the last racquet my father ever bought for me lol.
I broke a Prince TT Bandit about 6 years ago by grabbing it by the neck with my hand outstretched & slamming it into my 12 pack bag which was full of racquets & gear. It snapped in half. That one I don't regret!
Since I've switched to Volkl 2 1/2 years ago, I've yet to have the need to break any.

dl125
01-31-2006, 07:24 AM
All these stories are pretty funny. When a player gets a "racquet abuse" he should just give that one to someone in the audience.

...and Volkl's have a self-awareness feature when they are in danger; it's the owner knowing they are good frames.

tennisnj
01-31-2006, 07:28 AM
Exactly dl125, although I'd like to add that Volkls have a built in purchase price warning. Paying $200 for a racquet consistently will curb almost anyone from breaking it. The Prince Bandits on the other hand were under $60.

BabolatFan
01-31-2006, 07:39 AM
When I was younger I broke SO MANY racquets out of anger (I must have looked so stupid)...Probably because my dad bought me racquets or I got cheap deals from friends. Being old and paying for my own stuff; I baby my racquet now and get BUMMED if even a scratch shows up. I regret the most breaking a couple Boris Becker Supers (now they're collectable) Let's see...I can add: 3 pro staff 6.0's, a couple Donnay Pro Ones, a couple Dunlops, a butt load of Pro-Kennex. Geez, maybe I need to call my dad and thank him. Is there anyone else who didn't get the anger management memo?

No worries. Just move on. Personally I didn't break that many racquets. I did have some anger issues, however after I turned 19 I learned how to be a better player mentally. Wow u broke a ton.

TripleB
01-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Yes....I broke a Rossignol F-200 when I was playing with my dad once. While playing with it I missed a volley, tried to hit the net out of anger, missed the net and the racquet slammed into my knee cap. After that I kept playing, missed an easy backhand, and slammed the racquet down and it cracked.

I was upset because I lost my cool in front of my dad. I put the racquet up on the wall in my room and wrote "stupid" on it. My niece (who was probably 9 at the time) saw it and wrote me a sweet note about how I wasn't stupid and how I was a great uncle, etc.

Both of these made me feel like a heel....haven't broken another racquet since though (and that was about 20 years ago).

TripleB

wingit
01-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Maybe a more effective way to pose the question about racket breakage/abuse would be as follows: Who has abused rackets which they have paid with money earned through working for it? It seems there is a difference in the levels of anger/maturityand thus abuse of rackets, depending on whether you're on your nickle or the nickle of others? My guess is that knowing the source of racket funding would give good insights into the levels/frequency of abuse.

jamumafa
01-31-2006, 08:10 AM
I bought 3 300G's.

I still ahve 2 right now, but i broke one playing for my school. I went down a break in the third and the guy was Hooking me SO bad, so i slammed it doewn horizontally, and the middle of the head broke, so i could bend it over.
I was BEAT, mostly cos my mum whipped my ***** when i got home . lol

jonolau
01-31-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi,

Since I work with many young players and they often see me play matches.. no way I can display that sort of behavior on the court or off.. just can't do it. Have a good one.

Regards,
Steve
Steve, that sounds really honourable and sensible. You're doing the right thing by example as tennis is a mental game. Lose your cool and your whole game is practically ruined. It also ends up providing the opposition with the upper hand and an achilles heel to aim for.

wagnerchristian
02-14-2006, 12:47 PM
i've broken one of my head graphite tour when i was about 16 and afterwards i sweared to never do this again.

but last sunday i smashed one of my fxp radicals in anger which i just own for one and a half week. two days later i still regret this very much.

one of this rackets costs about 150,- here in austria ...

i've ordered already a new one but in my mind the better way will be to spend the money to poor and disadvantaged people.

maybe destroying my racket had a positive aspect, too. it remembers about things that we forget too often! that there are people who can never loose a thought about things we call a matter of course.

so long, chris

Indy Tennis
02-14-2006, 01:57 PM
My brother used to play with some Prince Aluminum frame. He'd get mad and whack it on the court. The thing would bend out of shape and he'd sit there and pound it on the opposite side to try to even things out. The head shape was never quite oval. It had all kinds of odd little angles hear and there.

The bad thing was he beat me a few times with that bent up Prince.

A friend used to buy cheap racquets at second-hand stores. He would always carry one in his bag. If he ever got really steamed (it would happen to him maybe once or twice a year) he would go pick up that racquet out of his bag and smash it to smithereens.

Ripper
02-14-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a theory: People only break raquets they hate. As in "breaking this piece of crap will make me look cool and I don't want it anymore anyway, etc.".

dmastous
02-14-2006, 02:15 PM
If I'm within 15 feet of the net, for example, I may whip it into the net - although I have foolishly thrown it into the net from the baseline a few times (and fortunately haven't missed the net yet). Indoors, I'll also throw it against the vinyl backdrops behind the
I tried this and DID miss the net:eek:. I got a very dirty look from my opponent. I don't remember who it was, but I'm sure they had no desire to play with me again.
I did have a bad temper when I started playing. I broke 7 Prince Precision Graphites in 2 years. Most of them broke while hitting overheads or serves, but they were weakened by abuse:( . A couple gave up the ghost while being slammed on the court after a bad forehand or backhand.
It's been a long time since those days. I haven't broken a racquet in 15 years.

wagnerchristian
02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
I have a theory: People only break raquets they hate. As in "breaking this piece of crap will make me look cool and I don't want it anymore anyway, etc.".

err ... i like my rackets very much but the problem is that they are next to me when i'm getting angry :( .
i never had the feeling that my racket is responsible for a crappy play.

when you think your stick is guilty when you play bad than maybe you earn gratification when you smash it? otherwise i'm sure you will regret it.

greetings, chris

snoflewis
02-14-2006, 04:38 PM
last february (2005), i bought 2 prostaff tour 95s. during the summer, i broke both. i was so frustrated at one point that i snapped the handle off the cracked racket. now the jacked up part of this story is, i sent the first racket i broke back to wilson, and i got a replacement. recently, i broke that same exact racket and got another replacement. i am now on my 4th (bought another one) and 5th prostaff. i have the handle to the one that i snapped off, but threw away the head. lol. i highly regret doing this, but at the same time, i think ive matured as a tennis player to the point where i've promised myself not to throw another racket, let alone let it get scratched.

papasito
02-21-2006, 06:41 PM
I did regret when I broke my Dunlop MAX 200G when I was 12. I did not regret much when I broke my Head Prestige Classic. Actually, I broke two of them.:)

darkhorse
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
I've only broken two rackets out of anger (which is pretty surprising to me, actually). One was an i.Radical that eventually crack due to a lot of continuous abuse (in other words it didn't break in one throw). The other was an LM Heat during a practice match. I was having a horrible day and I finally just took out my anger on the racket. The thing broke like a twig and that was the end of that racket.

Luckily I use Head rackets and they are really good about replacing broken rackets so I got two new ones after I sent them in.

slewisoh
02-21-2006, 09:46 PM
I've never broken a racquet and I hate having a racquet smashing lunatic as a partner. Somehow, you get associated with your partner's anger issues.

I played a mixed USTA match with my husband's boss and he was cursing, throwing his racquet, etc. I kept thinking he looked like my four year old...

I finally told him he was making an *** of himself and that if he couldn't show more respect to me and our opponents, that I would walk. He said later that he had no idea he was behaving so badly. I find that difficult to believe, but he never exhibited that type of behavior again. At least not with me on the court!:D

Oddly enough, we went on to be fast friends.

Robbie_1988
02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't know about you folks. But when i'm really MAD i'll grab my towel and muffle my face before screaming or screaming obscenities to myself between points.

Sure it looks weird, but it works for me. Makes me feel better to let go some strain.

arnz
02-22-2006, 06:06 AM
I've never broken a racquet. But if its any consolation to you that did, the ones I've seen do it are usually pretty good players that are playing bad that day, or just met an even better opponent

jtreed2000
02-22-2006, 09:34 AM
No regrets.

My "virgin," and probably last, raquet breaking experience was last december. It was a cold day and I was playing a tournament match with a private club. I'd already beaten the guy twice, but he insisted (league administrator) on a rematch and I didn't play "freely." If I won, I would stay in 2nd place. If he won he would move to 2nd place. I was tight the whole time and may balls were landing short b/c of that, and the fact it was below 40 degrees.

Well, during the 3rd set tiebreak (I have too many of these....mental, I know), he hit two winning volleys off the side of his frame. I mean come on, how bad can one's luck get? This guy was truly playing out of his mind for his ability; overhead winners smashed from the baseline??! I was just trying to grind it out. With him at 5-2, I sent a ball down the line that would have been a winner but just landed long. Then, I threw my racquet head first into the court, 100% trying to break it into a million pieces. It broke the frame at 7 and 1 o'clock. As I walked over to get another one I broke it completely in half on the net post. That is the angriest I've been in a while. I lost the next point, and therefore the match, putting me in 3rd place.

I may have looked like an *****hole that day, but I truly disliked this guy's gamesmanship and arrogant attitude since I knew him, especially on the court; it all came out then. It was a nice feeling, b/c it was such a release. It took that match to make me realize how I truly felt, which was frustrated and emotionally fed up with his demeanor. We had been somewhat close friends up to that point, but have spoken very little since b/c I don't want to. His behavior didn't change over two years, so why would it now?

I still have some respect for the guy and his game, but could no longer tolerate "attitude" from someone who played much longer and got so much pleasure from kicking my butt for over a year. I was a beginner when I met him and when we started playing. I improved a lot, 2.5 to nearly 3.5 in that time, but it seems he didn't want to accept that b/c he always took it so seriously. I take my improvement seriously, but I could see in his behavior when I started beating him that his pride was crushed. I mean, I might feel the same way temporarily, but I wouldn't be a jerk about it. I never fist pump, yell "come on's," or play mind games since I believe a match should be played fairly, unlike him. I was beginning to turn around a losing record, but I didn't rub a win in his face like he did mine.

So, in my opinion, I needed to break that racquet. It cost me $40, but it also made me realize the abuse I was being dealt. I don't want to play with him anymore and I can enjoy playing tennis now on my own terms, rather than anyone else'. So to me, it was worth it.

This kind of behavior is contagious though, because I got angry playing another guy (who I should have beat in 3 sets - tiebreaker again...) who was throwing his racquet and hitting balls into the fence and net. This was actually a USTA match. I was a little under the weather and should have finished him off, but I wanted to make him look bad and went for too much while I was up 5-2 in the 3rd. He came back and won the 3rd set TB, 7-4.

Now I have a different attitude, but still expect to meet a jerk every now and then. That will happen in competition. For any younger players out there, get it out and express yourself before you are caught in a mind trap. If you're being dealt abusive behavior by another player or coach, look for practice somewhere else, or at least confront them. If it's in a match, just remain calm and let them self destruct. Let that be your motivation to improve and don't bottle it up. Tennis shouldn't be played to give you the feeling of superiority/inferiority. If you or someone you play is basing your/their emotional stability/security on the results of a match then you need to figure out why and put an end to it.

jtreed2000
02-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Never broke a racket, never will. I respect my frame, it's not the racket's fault you suck...it yours.

HAHA!! That was funny ...but it's not always true.

vkartikv
02-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Believe it or not, I have never broken a frame! I usually regulate my anger vent by constantly talking to myself but have never broken a racquet. Now a cricket bat, that's an entirely different story :)

iwant2win
02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
I broke 2 of my tour 90.
Felt even worse after throwing them.

f1 tech
02-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I have broken a Dunlop 200G Max, Rossignol Ft 5.80, and Pro Kennex Graphite Comp. I really do regret breaking them and feel really crappy afterwards. I wish I still have all of them since they provided me great memories as a kid.

Now when I get mad, I sometimes just throw the racquet against the fence or pound the strings against my head. Yeah, I look pretty stupid on the court. I only do that during practice. My remedy is to sit, rest, and just chill out for few minutes. I never show my temper in a game. To me, that's really bad sportsmanship.

ace of spades
02-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I have broken several good rackets, (n.61 90, rdx 500 and a few more) but not out of anger. I almost never let my opponent see how i am feeling on court and I usually remain very calm and show almost no emotion since it really helps me play a better game. Deep breaths is all i need to calm down, no tapping or smashing. I also dont break rackets because it is really expensive. One of the few times i got mad however, i starded pounding the strings against my head and then they popped... i really felt like an idiot and everyuone was watching me. Also another time i got mad i accidently smacked the frame against my head really hard (i dont know what is is with me always hitting my head) and that left a big bump, and again i felt like an idiot. Those incodents happend a long time ago and since then I really developed good patience and focus.

jtreed2000
02-24-2006, 09:11 AM
I don't think I will ever break another racquet. In my situation there was anger brewing even before the match, so I wasn't going to play well and I knew it. Mine was a rare case where something had to give and breaking a cheap(er) racquet was the easiest way to vent, rather than jumping across the net and beating the guy to a pulp, lol. I do think it's important to remain calm in front of your opponent, but everyone gets angry and you need to have a way to deal with it.

I've tried tapping my foot, which I like b/c of the sound, although it looks stupid unless you're on clay. I've also tried slapping my leg, like Sharapova, but I think it looks silly. Most of the time I just let out a quick "NEIIIIIINN!!" (Federer) and try to refocus. If you try to move more and get the blood flowing that also helps. I wouldn't try to overhit so much, just try to be aggressive w/ your movement. It will help calm you down because the blood will get flowing, and may improve your court position. Also, when I'm moving well and the mucus is flowing (GROSS) I like to blow my nose via single finger on to an unused area near the fence (Agassi). I can breathe better and exhaling is good for the lungs. It's funny, all these little things we do, but for some reason they seem to work!

SHUNGO
02-24-2006, 11:30 AM
I am sure breaking a tennis racquet due to anger must be ultra frustrating, has never happened to me, I have trown some of them to the clay, but taking good care it does not even scratches, but yes, because of anger. Last 2 times I threw them to the net so there is no bang, but yes gaian, due to anger.

I am sure everybody shares my feeling of shame and regret after your reaction, would be worst in case of a racquet breaking, but once you really understand that a bad day for tennis playing can happen to anybody, I am sure this angerness against the inocent racquets, will go away, but if time goes by and does not change, go on a visit to a shrink, can help, ha,ha.

safin_protege
02-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I broke one of my Head i.prestige mids last year when I was playing horribly against my school's archrival. I definitely regret it, as my parents didn't replace it and I had wasted a perfectly fine $100 racquet. After that "incident" I throw my racquets far less; I guess I "grew up."

Pomeranian
02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Hearing any story about the racquet being broken, I still say I wouldn't have done it. My anger isn't on my racquet. Whoever makes me angry will just have to wait till he's off the court and I'm with my trusty racquet.

dmastous
02-24-2006, 06:59 PM
I am sure breaking a tennis racquet due to anger must be ultra frustrating, has never happened to me, I have trown some of them to the clay, but taking good care it does not even scratches, but yes, because of anger. Last 2 times I threw them to the net so there is no bang, but yes gaian, due to anger.

I am sure everybody shares my feeling of shame and regret after your reaction, would be worst in case of a racquet breaking, but once you really understand that a bad day for tennis playing can happen to anybody, I am sure this angerness against the inocent racquets, will go away, but if time goes by and does not change, go on a visit to a shrink, can help, ha,ha.
For me it wasn't frustrating, it was embarrassing.
But it did calm me down....;)

backhand_finish
02-24-2006, 07:03 PM
everytime i get really angry (more disapointed than anything cos i know i can do better) i drop my racquet or just start talking to myself. i used to really toss my rackets broke a few never felt good after that. so everytime i blame my racquet ill tell myself the other times where i played extremely well with my stick. and when one plays well, he hardly credits his racquet does he? ;) but when everything goes wrong, its the damn racquet fault?

jtreed2000
02-25-2006, 09:10 AM
It's never the racquet. Tennis is so mental. It reminds me a lot of golf. I don't think I have ever gotten angry playing except with those two matches. It's normal to get frustrated, but it's also important to have realistic expectations.