PDA

View Full Version : Racquet import duties to Australia

garbage
06-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi,

Has anyone imported a racquet to Australia? Are there any import taxes?

Thanks,

Han.

counterpuncher
06-09-2004, 09:55 PM
I have imported a couple of racquets and the rule I was advised from by customs (and have found to be accurate) is that if the racquet (& other related sporting goods) totals less than A$250 (including the cost of shipping, insurance, etc.) then there will be no customs duty. If it is above this amount they charge GST of 10% on the total amount and hold over the items until you pay the duty.

garbage
06-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi counterpuncher,

I just read on the web about the free trade agreement between the US and Australia which was announced about 3 months ago. Did you import the racquets more than 3 months ago?

Han.

counterpuncher
06-09-2004, 10:37 PM
I don't think the free trade agreement has much to do with it. 1st racquet was back in December, 2nd was in February and my last racquet was in March. All were well under A$250 and subsequently none incurred a customs duty.

shifty
06-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Hi,

Tennis racquets attract GST of 10% when they arrive in Australia.

The GST is calculated on the purchase price plus the overseas
freight/postage and insurance costs (converted to Australian dollars).

For Customs not to collect the applicable duty and GST your purchase must meet the following two points:

1. Your goods are sent through the post and valued less than A$1000 or sent air/sea freight (including couriers) valued less than A$250, and also if a courier service is used there will be an import processing fee of around A$50 as the courier service will lodge a formal Customs Entry to clear your goods.

2. The applicable duty and GST comes to less than A$50.

For information on the Customs requirements and import entry costs go to the Customs Website www.customs.gov.au select the option Imports/Exports, then select Importing goods and then select General imports and also select Buying goods over the Internet.

p.s. send goods using 'US Postal Service' and in most cases there will not be any charges

kickingbird
06-10-2004, 02:21 AM
It might be worth mentioning here an incident that my friend unfortunately become tangled in-

He ordered a tennis racquet and some strings, totalling more than $250Australian all together (incl. shipping), and incurred a 'quarantine fee' of in excess of some $100AUS on arrival. That really put me off from buying any racquets online...

This happened maybe 9 months or so ago.

Radical Shot
06-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Yep, customs got me too. There is also a charge for ANY item of clothing. I ordered some sweatbands of all things, and because they were items of apparel, they incurred yet another fee in addition to the custom charge, the GST, and the >$A250.

Watch out!
________
sc2 replay (http://screplays.com/)

garbage
06-10-2004, 04:40 AM
So if I spend less than $A250 on the racquet and shipping, is it safe to say I won't get stung by the customs charge and the GST?

woodie55
06-10-2004, 04:49 AM
Well I must be lucky. I have brought 5 racquets over the internet in the past 18 months, all have been valued over $AU250 and I am yet to pay any duty or GST on any of them. The last one that I ordered came into the country last Tuedsay (8/6/04) and there was no duty or GST charged on it.

garbage
06-10-2004, 04:55 AM
Hi woodie55,

Have you been buying yours from TW? And have you been buying them individually (ie: just the racquet itself)?

Han.

galain
06-10-2004, 05:59 AM
Does it make a difference if it's a private sale? The most I spent was around $300 on a batch of frames a couple of years back but nothing untoward occurred with customs. It was a private sale though.

shifty
06-10-2004, 08:10 AM
The reason some people have mentioned that they have been hit with a $100 fee or so; is due to the fact that they used some sort of courier ie: FedEx etc. (assuming >$250)

If in fact you use US Postal Service, this fee should not incur (assuming <$1,000) because it does not go through Australian Customs thus no lodgement of import processing fee. It goes to Australia Post.

p.s. information directly from one of Australian Customs representative.

woodie55
06-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Have bought from Tennis Warehouse as well as other places. At the moment have become a bit of a Fischer addict and have had to find them elsewhere. Real glad to see that Tennis Warehouse is going to bring them back. Have bought strings as well as racquets. Have always used the postal service and not FedEx so this seems to be the reason for no duties and not GST.

Fantoro
06-10-2004, 05:40 PM
To add to the stories, here's mine ...Bought a month ago US$600 worth of equipment(Racquet, clothes, strings etc..) was charged by custom $237 -used fedex.
Received this very day US$265 of goods from TW (racquet, strings) - using Fedex .No duty charged.

Either someone at customs is hitting the bottle seriously or there are no set parameters...

Either way, I still believe that it is a sound option when all considered. (range, availability and overall cost)

kickingbird
06-11-2004, 01:34 AM
Fantoro- that's a heavy blow! I'm surprised you were willing to give it another go after that $237 fee. BTW How were you notified of the custom fees? My friend said he received a phonecall asking him to pay otherwise his racquet wouldn't be delivered. He said he used the fastest delivery option which I think is one of the FedEx services. He still doesn't know what exactly he was charged for.

Is the US Postal Service shipping option the one that costs $23.50?

Fantoro
06-11-2004, 02:57 AM
A Heavy blow it was...i was notified when I called Fedex to ask when my goods would be delivered...and then Mr nice guy on the other end broke the news to me!... Passing shot between the legs!!!!

Got my goods eventually...through Fedex (express) which was useless because TW had 4 weeks delivery on some Head shoes!!

A total disaster if you ask me...but it was the only time it happened.

Radical Shot
06-11-2004, 03:44 AM
I don't think TW ship internationally using US mail. I already tried that. FedEx seems to be the only option.
________
land rover perentie picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Land_Rover_Perentie)

woodie55
06-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Okay to add my two cents worth again. When I bought my first racquet from Tennis Warehouse I was asked to provide a home address, not the PO box number that I had provided. I live in the country and at that stage there were no street numbers on most of the houses where I live and I figured that it would make delivery too hard if FedEx was used. Also there would be no gurantee that I would be home when they called. Using the postal service meant that I could go to the Post Office when it suited me. I advised TW of this and they sent the racquets by mail. They did advise me initially that they only used FedEx but they will use the postal service if you request. In my opinion if you are not in a huge rush for the equipment then you should demand that TW send the stuff by mail. Incidentally the longest that I have had to wait for the postal service to deliver equipment to me from the States is 6 days. I don't think that is too long a period to wait, do you?

Fedexeon
05-20-2011, 10:20 PM
how do they judge the value of the stuff? Is it based on the invoice in the box?

Really worried now cause i just purchased something from TW worth around 200AUD... (2 strung racquets)...

Hopefully the customs won't intervene or anything.

aimr75
05-20-2011, 11:08 PM
how do they judge the value of the stuff? Is it based on the invoice in the box?

Really worried now cause i just purchased something from TW worth around 200AUD... (2 strung racquets)...

Hopefully the customs won't intervene or anything.

this is an old thread.. around 2004.. Ive bought multiple items from the states without ever being charged a duty.. just make sure its under $1000

tata
05-21-2011, 03:05 AM
IF you are just ordering one racquet from TW then there is no taxes. I bought 2 racquets from TW. First was back in jan11 and the second one was a few weeks ago. It didnt' incur any taxes to bring it into australia

aimr75
05-21-2011, 03:12 AM
IF you are just ordering one racquet from TW then there is no taxes. I bought 2 racquets from TW. First was back in jan11 and the second one was a few weeks ago. It didnt' incur any taxes to bring it into australia

Ive ordered 3 racquets and shoes/shirts in the one order from TW without an issue