PDA

View Full Version : Racket Myths

zorg
01-30-2006, 06:54 PM
A person at my club said that its a little foolish for me to buy different types of rackets and stuff. He said this because he feels for the most part, the racket is just the thing you hit a ball with. What he said would improve my game is just more skills, not a newer/ cooler racket. I want to know, does a racket really effect your playing, or is it just really all mental?

tonysk83
01-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Racquet definitely affects your play without a doubt, saying they don't is just ignorant. I can see what he means in some respect though. If you switched from a liquidmetal to a flexpoint because of the FXP technology then that is stupid. Going from a prostaff to a puredrive+ you will definitely notice some difference.

SteveI
01-31-2006, 01:32 AM
Racquet definitely affects your play without a doubt, saying they don't is just ignorant. I can see what he means in some respect though. If you switched from a liquidmetal to a flexpoint because of the FXP technology then that is stupid. Going from a prostaff to a puredrive+ you will definitely notice some difference.

Hi,

As long as you are playing with a frame that is in your "class" or close to your "class".. then yes skill is the thing that will determine your results. As stated above.. you will have trouble getting the most out of your skill if the frame is mis-matched to your skill level. Someone with a super fast swing speed and long loppy strokes should not be using a "Big Bubba" whereas a player with short/slow strokes (in general) will not maximize their results using a Wilson 6.0 8.5. There will always be exceptions to this..but in general, matching your equipment (Frames/Strings-Tenison/Shoes) to your skill level and stroke style will make for better results and a better overall playing experiences. In general.. that guy is dead wrong IMHO.

Regards,
Steve

BLiND
01-31-2006, 01:55 AM
The best way to improve is to find a racquet your happy with the feel/weight of, then stick with it, and never change until you need to!

Ripper
01-31-2006, 08:28 AM
In my opinion, the guy is, partially, right.

Raquet: 25%

Skills: 75%

Ash Doyle
01-31-2006, 08:36 AM
I'd say for the most part the guy is right. You do need to pick a racquet that works for you. It has to fit your style of play and skill level. Other than that, it comes down to you. We, the gear heads on this board, talk a lot about racquets and strings and all that stuff, but in the end it all comes down to your own ability.
Right now, I own eleven different racquets. I'm capable of achieving the same match results with any of them. I can do certain things better with some of them than others, but the results are all me. You do need to pick a racquet that you feel comfortable with and fits your game. Other than that, it's a good idea to not get to nit-picky about it. I did my quickest improving once I stopped swithing racquets every few weeks and just stuck with one I felt comfortable with.

chess9
01-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Do both. Always be fiddling with your racquet, trying new strings and tensions. Never stop taking lessons. You can't see what you are doing wrong, and, trust me, you will always be doing something wrong. Besides, the teaching pro needs to buy gas for his Civic. :)

If you want an order of magnitude comparison, I'd opine that lessons are two orders of magnitude more important than the stick.

-Robert
________
Host and design (http://hostndesign.com)

Ripper
01-31-2006, 09:02 AM
I did my quickest improving once I stopped swithing racquets every few weeks and just stuck with one I felt comfortable with.

Me too! It lasted for about three months and, then, I just couldn't resist the temptation to change again. Now, I'm playing like crap, again... Lol!