PDA

View Full Version : Continuing point with broken string

WaltK
01-30-2006, 07:05 PM
I've only been playing since May, but I am out at least 3 time a week, starting to find a groove in my groundstrokes. Twice now I have broken a string while using the ball machine, but never during a match. Following this forum, where there are clearly some people who beleive that the asymmetrical load of a broken string can damage a racquet, (ie the string bed should be cut on a balance diagonal pattern ASAP) has led me to the following question. How much damage can you do to a racquet by continuing a point with a broken string? If the broken string itself is not so good for a racquet, it seems like hitting with it could be much worse. I personally am not planning on playing any matches in the near future where one point is worth risking the $$ that I have sunk into my racquet.

Barricade_steve
01-30-2006, 07:10 PM
well this remindes me of a time when my friend broke a string for some stupid reason he kept hitting with that racket and he was hitting very hard. after acouple of rallys he ripped a ball and his frame cracked at the throat.

Kevo
01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about one point or a few hits. Finish the point and then switch frames. You don't want to play for long on a broken string though. The tension in the mains will get less and less the more you hit until the crosses start exerting significantly more force on the frame. That could cause real damage as evidenced by the anecdote above.

Masamusou
01-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Now you see part of the reason why a pro generally goes to slicing and charging the net whenever they break a string in the middle of the point.

Midlife crisis
01-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Now you see part of the reason why a pro generally goes to slicing and charging the net whenever they break a string in the middle of the point.

I don't think a pro is too concerned about breaking a racquet, but directional control goes out the window with the loss of tension. Softer shots are more easily controlled than harder shots, so I'm guessing the pros chip and charge to try and use strokes where they have more control.

I can't recall a time when I've ever broken a string and managed to get even the next ball into play, and I've probably had 20-30 broken stringjobs in my lifetime during competitive play.

Masamusou
01-31-2006, 06:00 AM
All I was saying was that if even a pro won't continue bashing from the baseline with a broken string, it probably isn't the best idea for us normal players, for both the reasons of frame safety and loss of directional control. I've been able to stay in points a few extra shots with a broken string, but it was all slicing and volleys. I agree that the strings should be cut out as soon as possible.

CheapStrings
01-31-2006, 11:13 AM
I've read that all balls have at least a little topspin once they hit the ground. Therefore if you have a broken string you should not hit with topspin but use a slice which puts spin on the ball in the same direction as it is already spinning. This puts less pressure on the strings so they don't lose as much tension. Then since you need to end the point quicky it makes sense to try to get to the net to volley.

oscar_2424
01-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I remember Pete Sampras whenever he broke strings, he kept slicing the ball until the point was finished, then he change racquets

bsandy
02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Didn't Fed break one in the Aussis finals. I think he dumped a drop shot in the net with the broken string.

. . . Bud

arky-tennis
02-01-2006, 02:40 PM
i was always told to slice everything with a broken string.

serveitup911
02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
I usually make sure that I play with a racket that has strings that will not break during a match, but I have broken a string during a match before. I usually have no problem carrying on a regular rally in these situations. This could be because I was using Big Banger with a two piece installation. In other words, the crosses kept all of their tension whereas the mains only lost some tension due to the stiffness of the strings. Of course I had to throttle down my shots, but I did not find it too difficult to play.

equinox
02-23-2006, 07:02 AM
i once served out a match with a broken cross string. Hit serve and two volleys, one put away smash. I was too lazy to change rackets.