PDA

View Full Version : Justin H.H.--this sums up her character (lack of) well

Coria
01-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I don't recall a single issue that has generated more response from you guys than Justine Henin-Hardenne's dubious retirement in the women's final. Here's my take: While I think it was unquestionably unsporting and, well, "lame," the retirement itself didn't outrage me as much as it did a lot of you guys. Sure it was anticlimactic and sure, had JHH not been getting stomped, she surely would have played on.

What I did find galling and disgraceful (and sadly revealing) was the ugly aftermath. Henin-Hardenne could scarcely have been less sympathetic in her remarks. Her remorse was minimal, her self-centeredness stunning, her acknowledgement of Mauresmo's achievement virtually non-existent. She conformed to every unfortunate stereotype about the solipsistic tennis diva. In short, she didn't get it and, I suspect, still doesn't. The contrast between Mauresmo's self-awareness and Henin-Hardenne's self-righteousness was incredibly stark. As one of you noted, JH-H has a lot of rehab work to do, and we're not talking physical. --SI's Jon Wertheim

IT'S ALL OUT THERE FOLKS. THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THIS WOMAN NEED TO GET A FREAKING CLUE AND TAKE A COURSE ON CLASS AND CHARACTER--OR JUST LOOK AT AMELIE MAURESMO TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

RogerRulez
01-30-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't recall a single issue that has generated more response from you guys than Justine Henin-Hardenne's dubious retirement in the women's final. Here's my take: While I think it was unquestionably unsporting and, well, "lame," the retirement itself didn't outrage me as much as it did a lot of you guys. Sure it was anticlimactic and sure, had JHH not been getting stomped, she surely would have played on.

What I did find galling and disgraceful (and sadly revealing) was the ugly aftermath. Henin-Hardenne could scarcely have been less sympathetic in her remarks. Her remorse was minimal, her self-centeredness stunning, her acknowledgement of Mauresmo's achievement virtually non-existent. She conformed to every unfortunate stereotype about the solipsistic tennis diva. In short, she didn't get it and, I suspect, still doesn't. The contrast between Mauresmo's self-awareness and Henin-Hardenne's self-righteousness was incredibly stark. As one of you noted, JH-H has a lot of rehab work to do, and we're not talking physical.

IT'S ALL OUT THERE FOLKS. THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THIS WOMAN NEED TO GET A FREAKING CLUE AND TAKE A COURSE ON CLASS AND CHARACTER--OR JUST LOOK AT AMELIE MAURESMO TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

This was from an article by CNNSI's Jon Wertheim!