PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in Atlanta/the South use natural gut?

treo
01-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I started using natural gut back in L.A. and since moving to Atlanta it seems that the humidity causes it to lose too much tension after a while. During the summer it became a trampoline and I had to cut it out. I have a couple of sets left of Babolat and I was wondering if I should try it this winter/spring. The weather coating seems to wear off. Should I spray it with something?

DANMAN
01-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Played with it over the summer in New Orleans. Don't know if you can get much more humid than here. Held tension like nothing else. The Stringmeter only reads a few pounds different than right after being string. It's been in my racket since July. I really don't care for it as much as I do for a poly. I have Tonic 15L in a PD+ at 58. I've got 5 rackets that I alternate and though I rarely play with the gut...except when it's cold...I can't cut out a $25 set of string. It's been around 65-70 degrees here (ideal tennis weather for me) so I haven't used the gut lately. When it drops in the 30s 40s and low 50s I use it for a little more comfort.

Ripper
01-31-2006, 05:31 AM
I started using natural gut back in L.A. and since moving to Atlanta it seems that the humidity causes it to lose too much tension after a while. During the summer it became a trampoline and I had to cut it out. I have a couple of sets left of Babolat and I was wondering if I should try it this winter/spring. The weather coating seems to wear off. Should I spray it with something?

Maybe, if you would have been, constantly, applying Babolat's product called "Babol Thermogut" to the strings, the humidity wouldn't have entered in to them so fast.

Jerry Seinfeld
01-31-2006, 05:37 AM
I am based in NE Atlanta and use natural gut and have a number of customers who also use it. I would suggest that if you are using the same brand and gauge as was used in LA your experience *may* be related to another factor. First thing to look at is storage. Where do you keep your racquet? Gut is a living, breathing element. It is susceptible to extreme heat. Proper storage and care is extremely important. If you regularly leave it in your car, this is obviously bad. Since your complaint is not about breakage I suspect you don't regularly do this. BUT, let's take it a step further. After a tennis match have you ever stopped off for lunch, a ballgame/soccer game for the kids or any activity in which your racquet was stored in the car in the extreme heat for even an hour or two? This is one possible explanation. You have to keep the gut out of the extreme heat. This means taking your racquet bag with you into restaurants/malls/ballgames whatever in the summer heat. Don't leave it in the car.

Also, where do you place your bag after you are done playing? Let's hypothetically say you play line 1 on an ALTA team. You win 6-1, 6-1. (Congrats!) You next pop open a cold one a cheer on your teammates who all go three sets. 4 hours later you head for home. Where was your bag? Was it sitting safely in the shade or was it in direct sunlight? If the later, this too can cause the strings, especially natural gut, to change a bit.

One other explantion, less probable is related to prestretching. Is it possible that your stringer in LA prestretched the gut and the one in Atlanta does not? Or are you the stringer?

Hope these scenarios help you out. Go ahead and stick with the gut, but take care to keep your racquet out of extreme heat. You should be good to go.

treo
01-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the Babol Thermogut on a hybrid job. I string myself and always prestretch. The problem seems not to be heat but the humidity. The Tonic+ string fibers start to fray (many hairlike fibers sticking out) and the moisture makes them go slack. Does VS Team not fray? I used to use Unique gut which had a polyurethane coating and it wouldn't fray until it was ready to break. TW or no one else I know sells them anymore.

Craig Sheppard
01-31-2006, 10:03 AM
I've used gut here in Raleigh, NC all summer long. I've only used the Babolat Tonic+ 16 gauge in a hybrid. I've played weeks with it and never noticed any loss of play due to humidity. I can't compare it with other guts so I can't attribute it solely to the coating, but I have no worries using this gut in the South. I've tried Bow Brand 17 in Chicago summers--which are humid but not Hotlanta humid--and did not have a problem with that either.

Ripper
01-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Btw, treo, what tension do you use?

Gaines Hillix
01-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the Babol Thermogut on a hybrid job. I string myself and always prestretch. The problem seems not to be heat but the humidity. The Tonic+ string fibers start to fray (many hairlike fibers sticking out) and the moisture makes them go slack. Does VS Team not fray? I used to use Unique gut which had a polyurethane coating and it wouldn't fray until it was ready to break. TW or no one else I know sells them anymore.

I use baby oil gel on my natural gut here in ATL. This seems to moinsture proof the string and it doesn't loose it's elasticity. I apply it after each hitting session. If you are still looking for Unique brand strings, I think t e n n i s m e n a c e in Duluth carries them.

yourserve
01-31-2006, 10:49 AM
i apply baby oil to my strings. but i always over apply. i end up
leaving oil marks on the balls.

NoBadMojo
01-31-2006, 08:25 PM
I play gut and gut hybrids in Florida and on the hartru as well and it performs great for me. i dont do anything to it after strnging other than put stringsavers in whereever i start to see a string fray and that helps a lot.
Gut plays differently in different conditons..on hot dry days it is most lively and on humid days it plays most lifeless...thing is, the humidity only seems to affect it when it is humid..next time out if not humid it is right back to playing lively agan..that is why i have frames with diff tensions.
lately I have been using the upcoming Klip Legend Armourpro Gut and that string is great and is not affected as much by humidity and such, and holds tension even better than reg gut..this string is in a word 'fantastic' provided you dont demand a very traditional gut feel

mctennis
02-05-2006, 05:20 AM
My friend plays in the Atlanta area with gut strings. As long as they are coated they should be fine.

DXS
02-05-2006, 06:16 AM
I live in tha Atlanta area. I use Gut, but usually in hybrid string jobs. I haven't noticed any tension loss in the time I've been up here.