PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex 5g vs Laver Type S

jafojel
06-09-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm looking for a heavy-ish arm-friendly racquet and notice the favourable comments on both these sticks. Has anyone played with both and can advise on the playing characteristics of each? I currently play with Equipe 95 MP and looking for something very similar (if not identical!) to it.

mark rodgers
06-09-2004, 07:49 PM
I've played with both. The Laver type S is stiffer and more powerful than the 5G. The 5G is more control oriented than the Laver S. The 5G is made of 100% high modulus graphite and has the Kinetic beads whereas the Laver S has some Kevlar built in and does not have the beads. The 5G is definitely more arm friendly than the Laver. They both feel great in their own way probably because they both have the weight and balance that I like. I normally use an eastern forhand grip but have been experimenting with Semi Western to Western grips. With the Laver I had a hard time keeping the ball in the court using an eastern grip. But when I switched to semi western or western grip (ie: more spin) the Laver kicked into high gear. It was great. So if you use an eastern forehand stick to the 5G. At net the Laver is very solid. I preferred it over the 5G. On serve, because the Laver is stiffer, I was able to generate more spin than the 5G. But I prefer the 5G on serve. It just feels better to me. All in all, between the two the main difference is the flex.

Steve H.
06-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Both the 5g and the Laver S are lighter and have considerably lower swingweight than the Equipe. Closer in a current frame would be the Babolat Pure Control.

Steve Huff
06-09-2004, 11:08 PM
The 5g is very close to the Equipe MP. My partner of several years used them almost interchangably. I hit with it on several occasions. A couple of years ago, RacquetTech listed them in almost the same spot on a Control/Power 4 dimensional chart. The only other racket that was close to the 5g was the Gamma 9.5.

Comparing the 5g with the Laver Type S. I have both. My main racket is the 5g. The Laver is stiffer, not as headlight, about the same static weight, more powerful in the sweetspot, has a more open string pattern, feels more solid at the net, less touch (harder to hit drop shots, etc), serves harder and with more spin, is less arm-friendly. It feels like a better version of the old Slazenger black & white ProBraided. The 5g has less power, more control, more comfort, better feel on touch shots, has a more muted sound on contact with the ball etc. Both are very nice, just different.

Mark Carlisle
06-10-2004, 03:33 AM
Have not used the Laver type S, but I have a modified 5g with 15 grams of lead weight in the head. Consequently it does solve the 5G lack of power issue.

I did try the 15G PSE for 5-6 hours playing time during the last 2 weeks but since getting used to a heavier frame I found the 15G PSE a bit flimsy.

Maybe best to modify the 5G or have you not thought of going the whole way and trying 5G PSE as a comparison to the Laver type ?.

If anyone has tried this or compared to a weighted 2001 5G and there is any real benefit/difference would be pleased to hear.

netman
06-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Have used both the 5g and Laver frames. Still rotate the 5g with a Slaz PBH, so agree with all comments above. With the Laver I could hit bombs off the serve and overhead and put away volleys with power and precision. However, the Laver is a "no frills" frame. Consquently it can be hard on the arm and shoulder, which is what happened to me. As Steve Huff says, you give up a little of the extreme edge when you switch to the 5g in return for comfort and flex.

I always tell folks that with the 5g the PK engineers seem to have hit the perfect set of compromises you face when designing a tennis racquet. IMHO, its a very adaptable frame, good at all aspects of the game with the added benefit of the best shock and vibration control on the market.

BobFL
06-14-2010, 08:54 PM
----------------