PDA

View Full Version : How TW measures balance point

Edouard
01-31-2006, 01:48 AM
Hello,

i have a problem concerning how TW measures balance point !

For exemple : Babolat VS NCT Tour

- For TW balance point is 34 cm, which makes it a power oriented raquet (as the review says)

- According to all the other websites that i have seen, Balance Point is 32,5 cm and they say that the raquet is a blend of control and power.

So i don't know who to believe !

SteveI
01-31-2006, 01:53 AM
Hello,

For exemple : Babolat VS NCT Tour

- For TW balance point is 34 cm, which makes it a power oriented raquet (as the review says)

- According to all the other websites that i have seen, Balance Point is 32,5 cm and they say that the raquet is a blend of control and power.

The specs you see on-line at other sites.. in most cases are manufacturer specs and either reported as strung or unstrung. TWs are strung, measured and reported as an average of # of frames tested. Go with the TW specs.

Regards,
Steve

Edouard
01-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Believe me i think there is a problem with TW

Concerning this raquet Babolat :
For TW : Balance point is 34 cm
But for TW swingweight is 300
So please tell me how can you have a swingweight of 300 with such a balance point !
It seems impossible

Steve Huff
01-31-2006, 03:25 AM
TW measures theirs strung. That could account for the variance you have

jaap deboeck
01-31-2006, 03:56 AM
What bugs me is that the TW metric stat is rarely useful, usually not close to their inch stat. They don't bother to carry it out to mm. Why bother with it? As for SW, it can be tricky. The Tour is very light at about 10.2 ounces. The SW may well be 300 strung even with a neutral balance! That is the problem with that stick for advanced players: it can be pushed around and lacks stability against real pace.

SteveI
01-31-2006, 06:34 AM
Believe me i think there is a problem with TW

Concerning this raquet Babolat :
For TW : Balance point is 34 cm
But for TW swingweight is 300
So please tell me how can you have a swingweight of 300 with such a balance point !
It seems impossible

BTW,

If you have a question regarding the specs posted for a frame TW has listed.. just send these folks an e-mail or post in the "TW Questions" section, they do make mistakes at times. They are real pros and will get back to you ASAP and will make corrections. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve

SteveI
01-31-2006, 06:40 AM
Hello,

For example : Babolat VS NCT Tour

Hi There,

Specs:Babolat VS NCT Tour

Head Size:
100 sq. in. / 645 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 10.3oz / 292g
Balance: 1pts Head Light
Swingweight: 300
Stiffness: 71
Beam Width: 23.5 mm Straight Beam

Compare this frame to the Bab.

Dunlop Spirit Midplus
Head size: 100 sq. in. / 645 sq. cm. Balance: 1pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm Swingweight: 304
Weight: 10.2oz / 289g Stiffness: 69 (0-100)
Power Level: Medium Construction: 24mm Straight Beam
Swing Speed: Moderate-Fast String Pattern: 16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Composition: 100% Carbon Graphite

The Dunlop Spirit Midplus has almost the same specs: Easy to see why the SW is 300.. the frame is only 10.3 oz and one point HL making it very easy to swing.. which is what SW is after all??? Hope this helps..:-)

Regards,
Steve

Edouard
01-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Well i don't know.
For the pure drive team the balance point announced by TW is equal to what the other websites says.
But for the NCT Tour it is absolutely different ...
That's why i said i was doubtful about TW measures.

What's the difference between balance point and Head light or Head heavy ?
(i fear i don't understand well these notions)

I thought a head light raquet would have a little balance point (less than 31 Cm). So i don't understant why TW says the NCT is a head light raquet, with a Balance point measured at 34cm by them.

Thanks

SteveI
01-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Well i don't know.
For the pure drive team the balance point announced by TW is equal to what the other websites says.

I thought a head light raquet would have a little balance point (less than 31 Cm). So i don't understant why TW says the NCT is a head light raquet, with a Balance point measured at 34cm by them.

Thanks

Hi,

Even Balance in terms of cms would be 34.29 cm or 13.5 inches for 27 inch frame. Sounds like TW has it right. That would make the frame at 34 cm... very close to even or 1 point hl. Hope this helps.

Steve

Gaines Hillix
01-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Well i don't know.

Thanks

Each 1/8"(3.1mm) of distance from the midpoint of the frame to the balance point is equal to 1 point. If the balance point is forward of the midpoint(toward the tip of the racquet) then it's head heavy. If it's before the midpoint it's head light.

Edouard
01-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Thank you guys for your usefull comments.
I now understand much better !:)