PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good hybrid?

tennis_nerd22
01-31-2006, 05:28 AM
hey everyone,

im a junior player with a 4.0 rating. I wanted to use this hybrid on my strings (after reading everyone's complaints/positive feedback about most of the best ones): Babolat Pro Hurricane 17G mains & Babolat Superfine Play 17G crosses.

I wanted to put together a combo that will be durable (although i only need to restring my racket every 3-4 months at the moment), but i also wanted lots of power, lots of spin, and lots of control. now, after going through everyone's feedback on certain strings for my crosses (because im using hurricanes no matter what for the mains ;) ), i also thought that maybe the Prince Synthetic Gut Durflex 17G would be a good choice for the crosses.

So does anyone have any opinions about which string i should use for a hybrid with pro hurricanes? 2 choices: Babolat Superfine Play 17G OR Prince Synthetic Gut Durflex 17G

*one more thing to note, i read that most people thought the babolat superfine play had a horrible durability, but a couple of people said that its a great hybrid with the pro hurricane. so its a bit confusing.

Ripper
01-31-2006, 06:20 AM
*one more thing to note, i read that most people thought the babolat superfine play had a horrible durability, but a couple of people said that its a great hybrid with the pro hurricane. so its a bit confusing.

Superfine (or Fibertour) is a multi and multis are infamous for not retaining tension for long, but guess what? Pro Hurricane is a poly and polys are, also, infamous for the same reason. Just don't worry about it. When you start to not like how the string job is playing, restring it. That's all there is to do.

Furthermore, Babolat recomends Xcel, another multi, as a cross for Pro Hurricane. Xcel is similar to fibertour, but more powerful and softer. Since you mentioned power, I thought you'd like to know that. If you want even more power, Powergy would be even better, I think.

Gaines Hillix
01-31-2006, 07:50 AM
If your objective is to save a little money, then either one would work well(Super Fine Play is NOT a multi, BTW). The PSGD might be a little more durable. If you are trying to get more power and control about the only way to do it is to use more topspin in your game. Players generally stiffen up their stringbed so thay can swing harder and faster using a Western or Semi-Western grip to generate more topspin and keep the ball in at the same time.

Ripper
01-31-2006, 08:33 AM
(Super Fine Play is NOT a multi, BTW)

Sorry then. I thought it was the same thing as Fibertour.

tennis_nerd22
01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
thx for the help both of you, but ill probably stick to the hurricane mains and superfine play for the crosses. i kinda need a balance between control, power and spin, so i think the superfine play would work out better. also about the xcel, i had looked at those too, but a couple of people wrote that the xcel and pro hurricane isnt a good combination (even though babolat said it is) because it is too soft and gets chopped up by the hurricanes.

tennis_nerd22
02-01-2006, 05:32 AM
oh, one more question, does anyone have any recommendation for what tension i should get the crosses strung at and what tension i should get the mains strung at? thx

Gaines Hillix
02-01-2006, 05:59 AM
oh, one more question, does anyone have any recommendation for what tension i should get the crosses strung at and what tension i should get the mains strung at? thx

Only change one thing at a time. If you switch strings and tensions at the same time you don't know what you're dealing with if you don't like it. Having said that, string the crosses higher for more control and less string movement and lower for a softer feel and a little more ball pocketing/dwell time.

tennis_nerd22
02-01-2006, 08:21 AM
hmm makes sense, thank u very much for the help :)

Steve Huff
02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
About any of the synthetic guts would work. You might even try one of the strings like Gamma Syn w/Wearguard. It might last you a little longer than Bab SFP. Prince Syn w/Duraflex is good too.

SteveI
02-10-2006, 09:54 AM
About any of the synthetic guts would work. You might even try one of the strings like Gamma Syn w/Wearguard. It might last you a little longer than Bab SFP. Prince Syn w/Duraflex is good too.

Hi,

The one I have been using in my Poly Hybrid set-up is Forten Sweet 17. This string seems to provide a softer feel and a bit more pop than the average syn gut. Hope this helps.

Steve