PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Help: need an 18 gauge main

Ash Doyle
01-31-2006, 06:39 AM
I enjoy the comfort and power I get from playing with a full gut stringjob. However, lately, after changing to a racquet with an 18x20 string pattern I've noticed a drop in my spin. I don't hit with much topspin so thats no concern. Where I've noticed the difference is with my serve. Mainly my slice serve. I'd like to try out a hybrid using an 18 gauge in the mains and my normal gut in the crosses. What 18 gauge string could I use in the mains that would cause the least ammount of difference in comfort and power from a full gut stringjob. Thanks.

Gaines Hillix
01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Bow Brand makes and TW sells an 18g nat gut. If you're not a string breaker to begin with and are using an 18X20 pattern racquet that's what I'd recommend.

PBODY99
01-31-2006, 12:51 PM
I enjoy the comfort and power I get from playing with a full gut stringjob. However, lately, after changing to a racquet with an 18x20 string pattern I've noticed a drop in my spin. I don't hit with much topspin so thats no concern. Where I've noticed the difference is with my serve. Mainly my slice serve. I'd like to try out a hybrid using an 18 gauge in the mains and my normal gut in the crosses. What 18 gauge string could I use in the mains that would cause the least ammount of difference in comfort and power from a full gut stringjob. Thanks.

You could try one of the Technifirbre in 18g for the mains.

ace of spades
01-31-2006, 01:17 PM
timo 18 gives some sick spin

Masamusou
01-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Agree with Gaines on the 18g gut. Other options are the Tecnifibre strings (NRG2, X-one Biphase) and Alpha Gut 2000. Other than those and some poly or kevlar type strings, the options for 18g is pretty slim. Gamma synthetic 18, PSGD 18, Gosen OG Micro 18 are a few inexpensive monofilament options. I wouldn't go with Ti-Mo if you are looking to retain comfort. If you want something comfortable, stick with one of the first 4 options. I personally really like the Alpha Gut 2000, and I have X-one Biphase 17 in my current stick and like it as well. I can't afford gut at this point, so I can't tell you much about gut. I've only used Babolat 15L, 16, and BDE 17, no idea on Bow.

matchpoint54
01-31-2006, 03:12 PM
I would also pick Gosen OG Micro. That string's pretty comfy and can generate ok spin.