PDA

View Full Version : Is the Delray Beach Tournament

barry
01-31-2006, 07:03 AM
a challenger event? Seems to have a weak field. I saw Reynolds and Gimelstob play in an challenger event recently, both lost easily.
Bottom half has the best players Haas and Ginepri!

norcal
01-31-2006, 07:05 AM
Yes, Agassi is only playing challengers this year. And guess what, the draw is rigged in his favor!

barry
01-31-2006, 07:11 AM
Yes, Agassi is only playing challengers this year. And guess what, the draw is rigged in his favor!

Glad to hear that, I wondered where all the good players were, but see they are playing in the Movistar Open! Surpised Roddick is not in this one, these are the kind of tournaments he wins.

Californication
01-31-2006, 07:13 AM
Delray has always had weak fields. Delray, Casablanca (don't know if that tournament is still around), Bucharest, and Scottsdale all seemed to have a Challenger playing field. I remember in 2004, the Delray officials got so desperate to get some big names into the tournament that they moved the tournament to September in hopes that players coming from the US Open would rather go play there than Shanghai or Hong Kong. Didn't work. Guess who won the 2004 Delray Beach Open? Ricardo Mello. Ouch.

The funniest thing is that the Delray tournament is called the "International Tennis Championships." More like the ITCC: International Tennis Challenger Championships.

barry
01-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Delray has always had weak fields. Delray, Casablanca (don't know if that tournament is still around), Bucharest, and Scottsdale all seemed to have a Challenger playing field. I remember in 2004, the Delray officials got so desperate to get some big names into the tournament that they moved the tournament to September in hopes that players coming from the US Open would rather go play there than Shanghai or Hong Kong. Didn't work. Guess who won the 2004 Delray Beach Open? Ricardo Mello. Ouch.

The funniest thing is that the Delray tournament is called the "International Tennis Championships." More like the ITCC: International Tennis Challenger Championships.

We have a couple of challenger events in our area each year. And some of the matches are very good, plus they are free to the public. This year was surprised how hard Reynolds served, it had to be in the 140's, but an unseeded player Russell won 2 and 3 and went on to win the tournament.
Maybe Agassi received an appearance fee for showing up. Looks like a challenger event to me! Or at least his side of the draw.

Fee
01-31-2006, 07:45 AM
a challenger event? Seems to have a weak field. I saw Reynolds and Gimelstob play in an challenger event recently, both lost easily.
Bottom half has the best players Haas and Ginepri!

What is your definition of recently? Last time Justin played a Challenger was in November, and he lost in the Semi's to Michael Russell, who went on to win it.

As for Delray, no it's not a Challenger, but because its the week after AO, its cutoff is usually kind of low (151 this time). Obviously, the whole tournament has been rigged so that Andre will win it easily (and of course he got an appearance fee for playing there, duh).

Californication, it was the ATP who moved the Delray tournie to September. The TD HATED that scheduling (hurricane season) and wanted it back in February. The ATP gave him January.

vllockhart
01-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Of course it's not a challenger event. How silly.

Californication
01-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Californication, it was the ATP who moved the Delray tournie to September. The TD HATED that scheduling (hurricane season) and wanted it back in February. The ATP gave him January.

Ah. Gotcha. :p

barry
01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
What is your definition of recently? Last time Justin played a Challenger was in November, and he lost in the Semi's to Michael Russell, who went on to win it.

As for Delray, no it's not a Challenger, but because its the week after AO, its cutoff is usually kind of low (151 this time). Obviously, the whole tournament has been rigged so that Andre will win it easily (and of course he got an appearance fee for playing there, duh).

We do not get a bunch of events, only couple per year. Yes it was November at Sandlando. Michael Russell was very impressive, and was able to handle Reynolds serve easily. I was impressed with Russell game and the quality of the event was very good. Was hoping he could qualify at the AO this year. Gimelstob also lost.
I don't know about the tournament being rigged, but will say Agassi's draw is Roddick like!

Rabbit
01-31-2006, 10:21 AM

Hurricane season? California? When was the last time California was hit by a hurricane? It wasn't this century or last, was it?

Fee
01-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Furry one, dearest, let me make you a good hot mug of Earl Grey. I was talking about a tournament in Florida hun.

I am the closest thing to a hurricane that California has, especially if you **** me off (like that guy who stole pictures off my website once and tried to sell them on E.b.a.y.). ;)

Californication
01-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Haha, ya got thrown off by my sn: Californication.