PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you 4.5 and above players use OS racquets?

goober
06-09-2004, 07:19 PM
My brother is a 4.5 rated player and using an array midsize, heavy weight, head light player's racquets I never beat him. I think he was like 80-0 against me over the prior 2 years. Then I switched to an oversize racquet. Once I learned to control the power, I started beating him about 60-70% of the time.

TwistServe
06-09-2004, 07:32 PM
I can think of one person... Andre

!<-_->!
06-09-2004, 07:49 PM
There are probably plenty of 4.5 and above people who use the Prince Original Graphite OS.

BLiND
06-10-2004, 02:58 AM
What was it about the OS racket that helped you beat him?

goober
06-10-2004, 04:44 AM
What was it about the OS racket that helped you beat him?
For years I just thought that "real players" don't use oversize racquets, I guess I am just a hack. 8)

Improvements:

My serve became a weapon. I could serve with a lot more pace and spin.

Off center shots- Instead of shanking them, they would go in.

Out of positions shots: I can slap at the ball and it would still go in.

Return of serve- A lot easier to block or slice back when at hard first serve came at me.

Because of the increase in power, instead of ripping shots from the baseline like I use to, I was forced to play ground strokes with more spin and control in order to keep them in. I think this actually made me a lot more consistent. I am not saying that OS racquest are THE answer because I still don't like the launching effect on my ground strokes and may move down to a racquet size of 100-102.

Swingman
06-10-2004, 06:52 AM
I am a 40 year old 4.5 player who has used mid and midplus sized racquets for nearly 15 years. Due to more frequent doubles play I switched to an i.radical oversize. I played slightly better with it in doubles for the reasons you mentioned but missed the precision of my mid-plus in singles. I thought about playing with different racquets for doubles and singles but I didn't think it would be a good habit. The oversize required some changes to my strokes which I found challenging. So I am sticking to my mid-plus for now. I guess if you can adjust to the oversize and play better overall with it - stick with it.

atatu
06-10-2004, 07:20 AM
There are a lot of 4.5 and up players who use oversize frames. A lot of us use the Prince Graphite Original. I now use the Dunlop 300g. On the pro level OS frames seem to have gone out of style but aside from Andre, Spadea also uses OS and the recently retired Chang. Players who previously used OS but have now switched to mid-size include Hewitt and Paul Goldstein.

bob
06-10-2004, 08:18 AM
I'm a 57 yr old 4.5 player currently using a POG OS. I demoed an NXG OS last night and will probably buy a used on from the TW board in a couple of days.

Don't a lot of the women use OS sticks? I would bet that even the number 100 rated woman would be rated higher than 5.5 (if there is such a rating). So I don't think that using an OS stick is limited to 4.5 and under. It's more about your style and preferences

lendl lives
06-10-2004, 08:43 AM
i'm 4.5 doubles player and i tried the pog os. its has a solid feel. i'm having trouble whipping it on my serve like i can do with my bab pc std. it was hard for me to catch wide balls at times due to the weight. i like the second serve though lots of spin with little effort.

lendl lives
06-10-2004, 08:45 AM
also i was hitting some nice cross court angles (both sides) with lots of spin that just felt more naturual to hit with the pog.

tennisnj
06-10-2004, 08:55 AM
I am a 5.0+ who uses a Prince TT Bandit OS. Been using it since the racquets came out on the market. I am not as strong as most people so i need a lighter racquet to swing.

fantom
06-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm a 4.5 player, and I'm currently using the LM Rad OS. I just switched to it a few months ago after using the POG OS for quite a few years. I moved to the LM Rad because it was lighter and I felt that I could maneuver it quicker when I was being rushed or when the ball was hit into my body.

I've always preferred the added spin and larger sweet spot of an OS racquet. I string them at the max tension (or a little over) to take out as much power as possible.

goober
06-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Oh well the jig is up.

My brother mysteriously disappeared for 3 weeks and then suddenly reappeared wanting to a play a match... with a new tweener racquet. Evidently he had been practicing. My new serve which won me a bunch of easy points he suddenly could return and he played a very controlled game waiting for me to sail one out with my OS :o