PDA

View Full Version : What's it like playing with a raquet thats 28 in. long AND has a 107 sq. in. head???

Ripper
01-31-2006, 07:26 AM
I've never tried one of these, but I think I would know what the bad and good things are that I should expect.

Good ones:

1. They must be spin monsters; at least, those with somewhat lower swingweights (due to long length AND large head).

2. They must be serving monsters, too (due to long length AND large head).

3. More forgivingness (due to large head).

4. More reach (due to long length).

Bad ones:

1. Lots less directional control (due to long length AND large head).

2. Much more difficult to hit balls coming close to the body (due to long length).

4 good to 2 bad! Sounds like the way to go. So, why isn't everybody using them?

Edit: Hummm and I guess directional control is even worse if you're a 1 hand backhander, like me.

Ripper
01-31-2006, 10:22 AM
I can't believe nobody here has hit with the POG OS LB, the Michael Chang OS raquets, etc.

Edit: or their modern (current) version; the Diablo XP OS.

PBODY99
01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
I've never tried one of these, but I think I would know what the bad and good things are that I should expect.

Good ones:

1. They must be spin monsters; at least, those with somewhat lower swingweights (due to long length AND large head).

Bad ones:

2. Much more difficult to hit balls coming close to the body (due to long length).

Edit: Hummm and I guess directional control is even worse if you're a 1 hand backhander, like me.

I played with a standard lenght 95" frame until the first long frames hit the market. Since then, I've used the largest & longest frames that were on the market from a number of companies. Currently I'm back down to 110 and 28".

To comment on the BAD: I don't find that i have too much trouble on lost of control, the lever arm is longer but the increase spin potential seems to cancell that factor. On inside balls sometimes I choke up some times I get drilled. The block inside out one handed backhand is a little easier for me due to the extra leverag.

The advantages really come into play if you tend to hit high in the racket face, as it cut down on my mishits on my "bad"days.:cool:

Court_Jester
01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
I own a Head i.S12 racquet that has a weight of 8 oz, 28" long and with a head size of 115 sq inches. I didn't get to use it in a game because after a few hits, I realized that it was WAY too powerful for me.

Midlife crisis
01-31-2006, 07:53 PM

Good ones:

Bad ones:

I use a 28", 115 sq. in. racquet. I agree with your four pluses. As for the negatives, directional control can be enhanced by using stiffer strings. I went back and forth between a kevlar/aramid hybrid and poly, and am currently using Signum Pro Poly Plasma with really good results. The stringbed response is extremely consistent at the high'ish tension I'm using (65 mains, 64 crosses).

I've also never experienced a problem hitting balls close to my body. With the length of the head, you can actually get the strings on a ball much easier than you can with a standard length, midsized racquet.

The one huge plus for me is that this racquet allows me to swing for more spin than ball speed, because it will generate the ball speed pretty much on its own (and especially since I have weighed mines down to over 13 ounces). I can use this to get the ball up high on people when I want, and it also gives me really good clearance over the net. Then, when I want to flatten out, I can hit it really, really hard, which is intimidating even if it doesn't always go in.