PDA

View Full Version : Lighter rackets similar to T10 Gen 2

vin
01-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Based on experience, can anyone name some lighter rackets that have the comfort, low power, and easy to swing fast characteristics of the Gen 2?

Thanks

ericsson
01-31-2006, 08:42 AM
volkl tour 10 generation 1 :p

louis netman
01-31-2006, 08:43 AM
T10 VE mid, also gen 1 mid...

BHud
01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Fischer MPro 98

mark1
01-31-2006, 08:48 AM
O3 tour...

vin
01-31-2006, 08:50 AM
I said lighter. :) Maybe something in the 10.5 - 11.5 range that gives me enough room to easily customize to where I want it.

I've played with the VE Mid for two years and consider it to be basically a midsize version of the Gen 2. They're both great rackets! Midsize is too small for me though.

Swingman
01-31-2006, 09:13 AM
11.2 oz stock, 10 pt head light, flex 59

I have mine weighted to 12 oz and can whip it around for hours due to the balance. At this weight the power is pretty similar to the Gen II, IMO. I also had better control with the Yonex.

louis netman
01-31-2006, 11:01 AM
I said lighter. :) Maybe something in the 10.5 - 11.5 range that gives me enough room to easily customize to where I want it.

I've played with the VE Mid for two years and consider it to be basically a midsize version of the Gen 2. They're both great rackets! Midsize is too small for me though.

Find a Volkl C9 Pro and customize to your liking...I have a few left...

texcoug
01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I am playing with a Head Radical Team MP right now. It is 102", low powered, with a 22mm straight beam construction. I am still getting accustomed to the flex (a lot of it), but I can really rip and direct forehands with it.

BreakPoint
01-31-2006, 12:13 PM
volkl tour 10 generation 1 :p

Actually, although the Gen I has a lighter static weight, I found that it's swingweight is noticeably higher than that of the Gen II. And since swingweight has more of an influence on how a racquet feels and swings in you hand than static weight does, I've always considered the Gen I to be "heavier" than the Gen II. Also, partly for this reason, I've also found the Gen I to be more powerful than the Gen II (due to the higher SW, although static weight is less).

Yes, I would also suggest trying the O3 Tour MP or Mid.

AndrewD
01-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Vin,

If you could get hold of one, the DNX10 295g might be the go. Strung (adding 15g) you'd be looking at something around the 310g (about 11 ounces) mark which fits into the range you're looking for. It also gives you scope for customisation and, as it is a 10 series racquet, I'd think you'll find it similar enough to the Gen2 to be pretty happy.

vin
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
I agree Andrew, I just wish it was available in the US.

buder
01-31-2006, 07:41 PM
agree: fischer M Pro #1. very stable and comfortable. [I would not recommend the Pro #1, prior version; sweetspot too small]

AndrewD
01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Vin,

Outside of asking your Volkl distributor if they could place a special order (it certainly can't hurt to ask) I noticed this thread that might be of some help to you. The OP has managed to lay his hands on the 295g and could be a good source of info if you do want to grab one.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76881&highlight=DNX+10+295

Good luck. Im curious to see how the 295g plays, not so much for myself but for my girlfriend who uses the Gen2 and loves it but wouldn't mind a touch less static weight.

vin
02-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the link Andrew.

I love the Gen 2 also, particularly one of the three that I have. The problem is that the other two are heavier and can't be matched to the one I like. I figure life will be easier if I can find a lighter racket that I like that will be easier to customize and match based on always adding weight rather than needing to reduce it.

Another thing I may look into doing is having the swingweight of my favorite Gen 2 measured so that I can order some new ones with the same swingweight.

gonzalocatalino
02-01-2006, 05:46 AM
The Wilson Pro staff tour 95 could be an option.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WT95.html

is a flexy frame, 20mm, same string pattern and is a low power racquet. The main difference is that is less HL, so, have a few more points in swingweight.
I used to play with this wilson and really like it!

vin
02-01-2006, 05:55 AM
The Wilson Pro staff tour 95 could be an option.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WT95.html

Looks good, but I think the swingweight may be a little high for me. Based on the Volkl's I've played with, I think I like somewhere near 310 - 315. Maybe I'll give it a demo anyway.

gonzalocatalino
02-01-2006, 06:02 AM
If you have the chance to demo, try it. I`m not sure about the 325 SW, maybe is a little lower.

gonzalocatalino
02-01-2006, 06:03 AM
double double post post

mark1
02-01-2006, 07:05 AM
I am the person who was supposed to get a DNX 295 from a website in England. However, to make a long story short they never sent the package and i had to contact my credit card company to pull the payment. I am however trying out the DNX 325 on thursday night.

Again though, I would recommend the O3 tour. It is thin beamed, very flexy and has great spin and relatively low power if you string it tight enough. Reminds me alot of a volkl feel actually. It also swings much lighter than a gen II in my experience. I would definately give that a demo...

vin
02-01-2006, 07:17 AM
I am the person who was supposed to get a DNX 295 from a website in England. However, to make a long story short they never sent the package and i had to contact my credit card company to pull the payment. I am however trying out the DNX 325 on thursday night.

Again though, I would recommend the O3 tour. It is thin beamed, very flexy and has great spin and relatively low power if you string it tight enough. Reminds me alot of a volkl feel actually. It also swings much lighter than a gen II in my experience. I would definately give that a demo...

OK, disregard my email then. :)

I thought the O3 tour swung too heavy for me. According to TW, it has a swingweight of almost 330. I'm surprised you found it to swing lighter than the Gen 2. Maybe one of us was using an off spec racket.

midsouth
02-01-2006, 07:48 AM
There's a DNX 10 295 in the for sale section.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=84786

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Fischers .... ?

vin
02-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I hit with the i.Radical and the Tour 9 VE last night.

The Tour 9 didn't seem as stiff as some people say. I found it comfortable enough and easy to swing, but maybe too easy. It seemed like I was able to swing it too fast and easily and it threw off my timing.

When I picked up the i.Radical, I immediately began looking for traces of lead tape on the head. It was noticably more head heavy than what I'm used to, but then I remembered it's only 2 pts head light. My timing was off with this racket also, but not as bad as with the Tour 9. I was getting a ton of controllable power and spin. Impressive, but I'm not sure I like the balance. I'd have to figure if it's going to be a problem based on causing pull on my shoulder.

I ended up sending my Gen 2's to racquetmaxx and will probably just end up having them find me a few new Gen 2's that match the lighter one that I prefer. I don't think I'll ever buy a racket again with out asking for it's swingweight to be measured!

vin
02-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Hmm... The specs for the new Yonex RDS 001 MP look interesting. 11.5 oz, 310 SW, 9.4 pts HL. Let's see if it serves better than the RDX.

Django
02-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Vin -- I understand COMPLETELY. I play with the Gen II, but switched for a short while following a layoff to the Tour 9 VE. The weight feels right with the 9, but I personally feel that it plays noticeably stiffer. As someone mentioned earlier, the only Volkl I recall that had a 11.5 or so weight AND was still flexy was the old C9 Pro and the C9 Pro Xtended.

or, perhaps hang in there until the DNX 9 is released here in the U.S.

framebreaker
02-03-2006, 06:04 PM
speaking of swing weight. I am still trying to figure out how the swing weight interferes with the style of a serve (i know what swing weight is).
what players prefer a low swing weight/high swing weight?

Marius_Hancu
02-03-2006, 06:58 PM
speaking of swing weight. I am still trying to figure out how the swing weight interferes with the style of a serve (i know what swing weight is).
what players prefer a low swing weight/high swing weight?

if you know, just in the same way as it interferes with your FH.

AndrewD
02-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Vin,

You might be interested in the Volkl DNX 9. It's right at the limit of your weight requirements (11.5 ounces) but might be worth testing. Here's a link to a thread carrying the specs:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=84810

Otherwise, have you considered the Volkl Tour 6 Gen2? Slightly larger headsize (100sq) but, otherwise, its 10.4 ounces, 4 pts HL, swingweight of 300 and flex rating of 61. So, you'll be getting something low powered that is easily modified but still retains the graphite fibreglass composition and the spin potential (16x18 for the Tour 6 vs 16x19 for the Tour 10).