PDA

View Full Version : Put Widom on center court...

Qualies Hitchhiker
01-31-2006, 07:55 AM
and turn the scoreboard on, jackasses.

Fee
01-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Huh?

Todd played yesterday (and won). Matches at Delray don't begin until 5:30 pm EST.

norcal
01-31-2006, 08:10 AM
He's obviously mad cause he lost in the qualies (OP). Better thumb a ride to San Jose.

Fee
01-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Well, he could thumb a ride to the Dallas Challenger first, then skip San Jose and play the Joplin Challenger qualies that week instead. Improve his chances.

Qualies Hitchhiker
01-31-2006, 05:40 PM
It has nothing to do with the start time of matches, its about giving a quality player his due. The scoreboard thing, well, it is about basic match procedure. Something they couldn't accomplish during Vince's match.

Fee
01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
The scoreboard was on during Vince's match, it just went out for a while. No way they were going to put Todd on Center Court on the same night that Agassi was playing. I'd bet that Todd's not losing sleep over it.

Indy Tennis
01-31-2006, 06:30 PM
The scoreboard was on during Vince's match, it just went out for a while. No way they were going to put Todd on Center Court on the same night that Agassi was playing. I'd bet that Todd's not losing sleep over it.

Widom looked solid against Moodie. He hustles around the court like nobody's business. The kid is flat fast.

Qualies Hitchhiker
01-31-2006, 06:39 PM
I never suggested he take the spot over Agassi, just give him the benefit of the doubt as he moves through the draw. Also, were you at the match with Spadea. He clearly asked the chair umpire if the scoreboard was broke. Then it became obvious in the second set that it wasn't on, again.

Fee
01-31-2006, 06:51 PM
I thought you meant the online scoreboard. My bad for not being able to interpret your obtuse post. :)

Fee
01-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Ex-UM star Widom doesn't disappoint fans
The Coral Springs native rallies to a three-set victory before vocal supporters.

By Greg Stoda
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 31, 2006

DELRAY BEACH They came some in buses, some in cars from everywhere in Todd Widom's life to watch him play Monday night in the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships.

OK, so Andre Agassi was something of an attraction as well on nearby Center Court.

But it was Widom, a 22-year-old tournament qualifier by way of Coral Springs and the University of Miami, who drew local bar buddies and many former teammates and "just about every coach I've ever had" to Court 1 for his opening act.

"I only have one hometown tournament. I couldn't disappoint, right?" said the 246th-ranked Widom after his almost 2 1/2-hour, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 elimination of Wesley Moodie.

"It absolutely helped to have them out there."

He needed something.

Moodie, fifth-seeded and ranked 57th, was a set up and a break ahead before Widom, who won three qualifying matches to reach the main draw, rallied.

"I wasn't returning great and he was serving well," Widom said, "but the court was slow enough that I started getting them back."

That was enough to recover from a 3-1 deficit in the second set, and Widom then won a break-filled third set to advance.

The top-seeded Agassi, who is ranked No. 9, had no real trouble in a 6-4, 6-4 victory against Brazilian Ricardo Mello in his first match since November that he "anticipated" would be "pretty uncomfortable" . . . but wasn't.

Agassi even said he has told Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe of his willingness to be involved in that upcoming competition, but likely somewhere beyond the first round.

"I think he has better options right now," said Agassi, who's still working back from an ankle injury that kept him out of the Australian Open, in deference to Andy Roddick, Robby Ginepri and James Blake.

Agassi never lost serve against Mello and, in fact, lost only two points on his first serves during the match.

He finished with 10 aces and never faced a break point in 10 service games.

"You never know how it's going to be," said Agassi, who explained how the sore ankle has been prohibiting him from getting a good push into his serve.

'I didn't know what I got into there," Agassi said about his success serving. "I guess I was excited to get out there."

Justin Gimelstob led other first-round winners that also included sixth-seeded Florian Mayer of Germany.

Gimelstob earned a 6-4, 6-4 win against Thailand's Danai Udomchoke.

"I like playing more, but I'm better writing about it," said Gimelstob, who produces a blog for SI.com and is ranked 110th. {Shameless plug, Justin!}

"I'd like to get myself firmly in the Top 100 and be healthy enough to play a full schedule."

Mardy Fish, a wild-card Floridian entry trying to come back from a wrist injury, was a 6-3, 6-3 loser to Simon Greul of Germany.

"There are little things I've just forgotten how to do," said Fish.

Eighth-seeded Vince Spadea of Boca Raton defeated Yeu-Tzuoo Wang of Taipei in the late match 5-7, 6-1, 6-1.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/31/w7c_delraynotes_0131.html

arosen
01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Fee, thanks for update.