PDA

View Full Version : Estusa Power Beam Braided VS Wilson ProStaff Tour 90

garbage
06-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi,

I'm interested in the Estusa PBB, but the racquet is not sold in Australia, so demo-ing is completely out of the question.

How does it compare to the Tour 90 in terms of:

- serving (power/control)
- groundstrokes (power/control)
- forgiveness
- shock from off center shots

Thanks,

Han.

Coda
06-09-2004, 09:37 PM
tour 90 beats the PBB in all of your categories...and in my opinion everything.

HeavyBall
06-10-2004, 07:00 AM
I use the Tour 90, and can honestly say that anyone telling you that it beats the PBB in either of your last two categories is smoking some serious crack. The Estusas have a feel unlike any racket on the planet, and are virtual polar opposites of the Wilson Pro Staff line.

Kick Serve
06-10-2004, 07:34 AM
The Estusa is more forgiving and has a softer feel. I think it's flex rating is overstated a bit. It feels a lot more flexible than what is posted on TW. I've played with both the Tour 90 and the Estusa PBB. Spin potential is slightly higher on the Estusa but the Tour 90 provides a more predictable response. Power is similar. Also, the Tour 90 had a crisper response, which some people prefer. Even though their specs are similar, they feel quite different when you actually hit with them. I was able to produce similar results with both, but again, the feel was different. You would have to demo them together to see what I mean.

Coda
06-10-2004, 11:05 PM
I felt like there wasn't enough mass in the head of the PBB, it felt like I was swinging a flyswatter with 12 oz in the handle. I used a PS 6.0 85, so I was used to heft, but the Tour 90 has a higher swingweight and it took me a couple of weeks to get my timing down. If this happens to you, don't give up and know that this racket takes a little more work to get full potential out of it.

fuzzy balls
06-10-2004, 11:38 PM
What's with the love affair with the pbb? To me the pbp or the pb have a much better feel.....the pbb is stiffer than a board!

stevewcosta
06-11-2004, 06:47 AM
fuzzy balls is correct. The pb is soooo much better than the pbb. I couldn't even hit w/the pbb yet the pb was almost my next purchase until I tried the 6.0 85!

bcaz
06-11-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't think the PBB is very stiff. It plays much more flexible than its posted rating. I preferred it to the Power Beam because it was more head-light and powerful, produced more head speed even though it was heavier. I never tried the Power Beam Pro; the demos were back-ordered when I tried the other two, and I liked the PBB so much I switched to it and purchased three. I've played the PBB for 9 months now, adding a little lead at 3, 9, and 12, and with a Wilson Pro overgrip, they weigh about 12.9 oz. and are 9-10 pts. head-light.

The Tour 90 is s very good serving racquet, better, certainly for power, at least, than the PBB. In my view, the Tour 90 was unplayable otherwise. I wanted to like it, having always played Pro Staffs, but it was a miserable frame compared to their other products. I much prefer the PS 85, the original 6.0 95, and even the ROK to the Tour 90. Good riddance to it ... I hope Wilson has solved the balance/flex/feel problems with the new 90.