PDA

View Full Version : Any Recent Experiences With Titan Gut?

Gaines Hillix
01-31-2006, 10:40 AM
There seemed to be mixed reviews on this stuff going back to the middle of last year. Anyone have any recent experiences to share?

steve d
01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Its too early to tell for me. I am using it in the mains(16 gauge), with Gosen OG Micro 17 in the crosses of a PT 280. I had about 2 hours on it in November when I apparently gave myself a sports hernia. I hit for a little over an hour recently but I am not sure how much tension I have lost since my injury.

My initial impression is that I like it. But I should qualify that by mentioning that for the previous ten years I have been using polys because I am a frequent string breaker and I didn't have a stringer then. Compared to the polys I was using, most other strings would probably have more feel and comfort. Actually, it still feels a little too lively at this point. But that may have as much to do with my injury-induced inactivity as the string itself.

I can say that, for me, it serves bigger than the poly did. I was playing the tennis version of make-it, take-it with the best local high schooler and he would go long stretches where he couldn't do anything with his return. He had never had much luck with my serve but there was a noticeable difference.

Groundstrokes and volleys felt too lively and a little out of control. Like how it feels when I have used a granny stick. But after all the years of using poly that may be something to be expected. Maybe I will have to adust my swing a bit try a different cross.

I have read that some had the Titan gut break during the stringing process but I had no problems and it was only the 7th racket I had ever strung. I read the posts about stringing gut and tried to follow the suggestions as best as possible. Maybe I just got lucky, but I don't have any reservations about doing it again.

As I am able to play more I hope to learn more about the string. The comfort is there and if I can get at least 6 hours out of it I will be OK with the durability. The playability is yet to be determined.

hksmin
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I bought it a month ago, it tore apart when I was stringing. It was really bad.

LSee19
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I used Titan Gut in my mains (with ALU crosses) all last year, before TW started selling the same string. I feel it's a good natural gut string, and a steal at that price. I didn't feel any significant difference in feel in conparison to other "value natural gut" models from Babolat, Bow Brand, BDE, etc. At first, it felt a tad bit firmer than those other brands that I mentioned, but it keeps its tension well and the durability is not that bad either. As far as breakage during stringing, I have used 8 sets of the stuff and although I don't string racquets, the place that I bring my racquets to have never complained of breakage. At the price that Titan is going for, you might as well give it a shot. I think this year, i'm going to try an all gut setup to see how it feels. I personally think some people on the boards judge this string before actually trying it.

#LT
01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
spend a little more, you won't regret it. titan natural gut sucks.

Ruuzo
01-31-2006, 09:02 PM
had 3 sets of titan gut 16. did 6 stringjobs as hybrids. 3 played out fine, 1 broke prematurely after a few hours of play, 1 broke in my bag without me ever getting a chance to hit with it. 1 broke while stringing.

so in other words, 2 thumbs down for titan gut! :-(

shogun
02-01-2006, 09:00 PM
The 16 gauge lasted less than 2 weeks.
I've gotten more than 6 months from 16 gauge Bow & BDE gut.
Needless to say, I am not happy with the durability of Titan gut.

louis netman
02-01-2006, 09:16 PM
I've strung it up over a dozen times in hybrids and have had no problems. I nastily tear through strings, however, and this stuff doesn't wear any more easily than Bow, BDE, or Klip...

TENNIS_IS_FUN
04-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I've just purchased the 17g of the titan natural gut...i've read that it breaks easily...if it did, can you guys tell me what gauge and tension you guys tried to string it as?

127mph
10-30-2006, 05:25 PM
i dont know man, but now that they sell half sets at 9.99, i mean combine that with pro hurricane or gosen polylon, i mean thats less that 15 bucks for a gut poly hybrid son. and 15L gauge, son!!!

SteveI
10-31-2006, 04:54 AM
There seemed to be mixed reviews on this stuff going back to the middle of last year. Anyone have any recent experiences to share?

Gaines,

Nice to see your name here again :-). My experience is very mixed also with this string. Obtained a few good sets, strung up and played very nice..and then other sets were less than perfect to say the least. So, very mixed indeed as indicated. Not really sure what the pattern might be related to.

Regards,
Steve

jayserinos99
10-31-2006, 09:21 AM
I've just purchased the 17g of the titan natural gut...i've read that it breaks easily...if it did, can you guys tell me what gauge and tension you guys tried to string it as?

I used this string as a hybrid w/ syn gut crosses (18g og sheep micro) in a Volkl Tour 10 VE mid at 58 lbs. It played very well until it broke. I think I tried putting it into a second Tour 10 VE mid and it snapped at the last main on one side; I ended up putting it into a Kramer Staff mid I sold on the bay later on.

ucrctennis
10-31-2006, 10:06 AM
A few months back a customer brought a set of 17 gauge Titan Gut in to be strung. The string looked incredibly thick, upon measuring it the string turned out to be 1.54 mm in diameter. I had so much trouble pulling this through the crosses and weaving. It felt like polyester. I would never recommend it to anyone.

andrew_b
10-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Isn't Titan gut the "seconds" for Klip?

play well,
Andrew

TonyB
10-31-2006, 02:01 PM
Gaines,

Nice to see your name here again :-). My experience is very mixed also with this string. Obtained a few good sets, strung up and played very nice..and then other sets were less than perfect to say the least. So, very mixed indeed as indicated. Not really sure what the pattern might be related to.

Regards,
Steve

Steve, didn't you notice that his post was from January ??

SteveI
11-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Steve, didn't you notice that his post was from January ??

Why would I? I was just adding to the post. Gaines might still be reading these post but he almost never posts due to the # of new rude posters that now come to this site to waste the time of serious tennis players, racket techs, coaches and professionals.

Have a good one... Thanks for noticing for me...LOL

Steve