PDA

View Full Version : Can we just get rid of Davis Cup already?

jgunnink
01-31-2006, 11:17 AM
The only people who care about it are the McEnroes and some fans in Argentina. I think it's just a distraction now, the way the Olympics are a distraction for NBA players.

Does anyone care who's country has the best team one year? (Or more accurately, which country was able to get more of their top ranked players to actually play and/or give a crap.)

I used to get annoyed about Johnny Mac going on and on about how important it was for Pete and Andre to play Davis Cup. Why, so they can go to some play on carpet against a player with a highly partisan crowd and possibly get injured?

With tennis being an individual sport, and with successful players living anywhere they choose (and not necessarily in their home country), the national pride thing in tennis rings a little false to me.

I know this might be controversial to say, but I'm pretty apathetic about it. I can't remember the last time they even showed it on TV in the U.S.

Rabbit
01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I guess they should abandon Ryder Cup as well?

I love Davis Cup and think it's unpatriotic for anyone to talk against it!!!!!!

This agression won't stand, dude.

jgunnink
01-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Actually, I vote for getting rid of the Ryder cup too, and I'm a big golf fan. I don't care if the best of Europe can beat the best of the U.S. Golf, like tennis, is an individual sport.

I have heroes in both sports, but they aren't all Americans. In fact, I hate the US media bias for not really caring about a grand slam final unless an American is in it.

My favorite tennis players are Swiss and Russian. Somehow I don't care if Switzerland beats Russia in the Davis Cup.

Andres
01-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Davis Cup rooocks, baby!!! :D

Kaptain Karl
01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
No!!!

Davis Cup has some of the most exciting tennis you'll ever see. Love it!

- KK

Max G.
01-31-2006, 12:01 PM
The only people who care about it are the McEnroes and some fans in Argentina. I think it's just a distraction now, the way the Olympics are a distraction for NBA players.

And fans in, from what I gather, most of the rest of the world besides the US :)

Hey, if you don't care, don't watch it. If US players don't care about it, they can just not play in it - other countries do care and their players do participate.

Does anyone care who's country has the best team one year? (Or more accurately, which country was able to get more of their top ranked players to actually play and/or give a crap.)

Yes - many countries do, and many countries can regularly get their best players to play.

I used to get annoyed about Johnny Mac going on and on about how important it was for Pete and Andre to play Davis Cup. Why, so they can go to some play on carpet against a player with a highly partisan crowd and possibly get injured?

With tennis being an individual sport, and with successful players living anywhere they choose (and not necessarily in their home country), the national pride thing in tennis rings a little false to me.

I know this might be controversial to say, but I'm pretty apathetic about it. I can't remember the last time they even showed it on TV in the U.S.

Ah. So you don't watch it, and therefore you think nobody should? Brilliant logic there...

FYI, last time it was shown in the US was the last time they played, against Belgium in, I think, September.

Californication
01-31-2006, 12:04 PM
I love Davis Cup, and I love how enthused Roddick, Ginepri, Blake, and the Bryans are about it. While it will probably never happen, I am praying we can bring the Cup back home to the States.

Other countries care about the Davis Cup. Note the record 27,000 who packed into Sevilla to see Spain crush the US and take the Cup in 2004. Note the enormous parade in Zagreb after Croatia won their first Davis Cup this past winter. And note, well note everything about Argentina.

Moose Malloy
01-31-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't know Max, I get the sense that worldwide, davis cup is not what it used to be.
Federer skipped Davis Cup 1st round last year to "concentrate on my number 1 ranking." He had a huge lead in the rankings at. The world 1 choosing not to play for his country says a lot. Hewitt is not playing the 1st round. Henman skipped some ties recently, as did Moya.
It's really not just an American thing(being hard to get players to commit)

Chadwixx
01-31-2006, 12:13 PM
They need todo it like the soccer, hold it every 4 years. Davis cup basically means nothing now a days. Most players dont even live in the countries they are playing for.

Personally i like davis cup, the more tennis to watch the better (i just wish espn were a better tennis network and would show non american ties).

simi
01-31-2006, 12:19 PM

Well, you aren't too apathetic about it because you spent the time and energy to post about it. The last tie that the Unites States played was shown on television here in the U.S. As MaxG. said, it was against Belgium and there was some pretty good tennis.

We get too few matches broadcast as it is. It is really the only chance we have to see doubles (with the exception of the recent AO, where other issues came into play).

Don't watch if you have no desire to. Some of us enjoy the competition.

You get your wish, however. ESPN has indicated that they will not broadcast Davis Cup this year.

Dedans Penthouse
01-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Get rid of the Davis Cup?! What next (God forbid!); the Kremlin Cup?

We need cups. Imagine living in a world without:

The Davis Cup
The Ryder Cup
The Stanley Cup
The President's Cup
The America's Cup
The Breeder's Cup
The FIFA World Cup
The Canadian-American Challenge Cup
The Hopman Cup
The Ski World Cup
The FA Cup
The Rugby Union World Cup
The Nextel (NASCAR) Cup
The Calcutta Cup
Buttercups
Tea Cups
Athletic Cups ('ow!)

---or even worse---

The AA-Cup (*)(*) "hello, world!"

The A-Cup (quiver)

The B-Cup (wiggle)

The C-Cup (jiggle)

The D-Cup (w-wobble)

The DD-Cup (wa-wa-wobb-b-ble)

The DDD-Cup ("Er sweetheart, could you please shift a little?...you're sitting on grandma's nipples.")

I say keep 'em. I revere cups and Revere bowls.

sureshs
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
It is important outside the US. Both for the crowds and the government money it attracts indirectly in tennis funding.

sureshs
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I love Davis Cup, and I love how enthused Roddick, Ginepri, Blake, and the Bryans are about it.

You know that they get $100,000 per match, don't you?

austro
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM

Fully agree! ONly serves to bring out misplaced nationalistic feelings. I have no problem rootinng for Federer or Bags but I couldn't care less if Switzerland or Cyprus win the Davis Cup.

I guess it doesn't count for individual rankings, so the best players often choose to eschew it. there are enough tournaments as it is.

devila
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Pat McEnroe, who didn't see that Olivier Rochus hit a winner on the line, told the umpire that the linesman called the ball out. The umpire gave Roddick a 4-2 lead in the 5th set without bothering to find out what happened. The cameramen, the crowd and American home fans knew the ball was clearly in. Roddick barely moved due to exhaustion and the Belgian captain taunted and laughed at Roddick. Days before, he mocked Roddick at the players' meeting. McEnroe did anything to cheat the opponents, and pretended that he did nothing wrong.
Rochus was angry that McEnroe changed the umpire's decision.
Brad Gilbert was worried that Pmc might lose his job as DC captain before that unjust call. After the match, Brad complained that Rochus was robbed.

If you think that's patriotic, you're very misguided.

armand
01-31-2006, 01:50 PM
It's people like the OP that make me feel that if the U.S. dropped out of Davis Cup competition, it wouldn't surprise me.

Rabbit
01-31-2006, 02:06 PM
I also love the fact that it's played on different surfaces in different venues. I love the fact that it's played indoors and outdoors. I love the fact that the home country gets to pick the surface. I love the fact that a guy playing at home ranked #388 in the world can go five sets with a guy ranked #1. And (Michael Haller pay attention to this) I love the fact that a guy who boycotted Wimbledon basically his whole career can come in with the visiting team and beat the #1 player in the world on his favorite surface.

Davis Cup....it does rock.

Kaptain Karl
01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
defila - If you told me 2+2=4, I'd want a second and third opinion. So, without even researching your post ^^^ I choose to disbelieve it.

- KK

Andy Hewitt
01-31-2006, 02:32 PM
People DO bring up strong points.... hmmm.... I say keep it.

devila
01-31-2006, 03:20 PM
As far as his mojo is concerned, Roddick has heard enough about it, and more than enough from Martens, who needled Roddick last Wednesday at the traditional dinner that precedes Davis Cup ties and is attended by officials of both countries and the ITF, the ruling world body of Davis Cup...
http://www.protennisfan.com/2005/09/belgian_davis_c.html
South Florida Sun-Sentinel: Roddick has mojo working
Now it was Belgian Davis Cup captain Martens' turn to take a shot. "I guess you've been hearing about your mojo about 25,000 times," Martens was quoted by a member of the USTA staff as commenting at the podium during the dinner.
"Yeah," Roddick replied icily from his table. "But not at this forum."

Then, after a big point in the second set of the Rochus match Friday, Roddick turned toward Martens and screamed, "Keep talking."
He was so upset by Martens' comments at the dinner, said a Davis Cup team spokesman, that when the team got back to the hotel in Brussels, Roddick went for a 20-minute cooling-down walk before going up to bed.

Rochus played through six deuces to hold serve in the sixth game. He threw in a phantom swing at a Roddick shot that was clearly on its way out

Rochus hit a very deep approach shot just inside the line to Roddick’s backhand. Roddick managed to get to it but could only hit a wounded duck that flew up in the air and just made it over the net. Rochus had plenty of time to set up and hit an easy overhead just inside the deuce court sideline. So far so good. After the point, though, the linesperson on Roddick’s side of the net walked up to the chair umpire and told him that she had called Rochus’ shot out. Rochus and Martens are outraged, as is almost everyone else in the building except Roddick, who is getting an unintended and desperately needed rest.

in clay court matches, players are all over any ball that even looks like it’s going out. You can be sure that Roddick would have been right there to draw a ring around the mark if there had been any question.

most puzzling of all, the chair umpire, Sune Alenkaer, didn’t overrule the call - he must have seen it just like everyone else in the house - and never left his chair to check the ball mark. All match long, whenever a player questioned a call, the chair umpire obligingly jumped out of his chair and ran over to the mark. Now, when it would have been crucial to do so, he doesn’t make a move.
The chair umpire awarded the game to the US giving Roddick a 4-2 lead in the deciding set. The Belgian players are ****ed, the home crowd is stunned, and the Americans, well, they’re very quiet. They know not to look a gift-horse in the mouth.
After both players held serve, Roddick served his thirty-fourth and thirty-fifth ace to win the set and match, 6-7(4), 7-6(4), 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-3. With a courageous effort that included an exceptionally high number of aces on a clay court surface, Roddick managed to hang in there long enough to take advantage of an inexplicable mistake and win the tie for the USA in the longest match in Davis Cup history since the introduction of the tiebreaker.
The US team didn’t celebrate. They circled Roddick, gathered up their belongings and got off the court as fast as possible.
http://tennis.mostvaluablenetwork.com/2005/09/
The nearly five-hour marathon of Olivier Rochus and Andy Roddick offered fresh example that the quest for the Cup requires too much of a few top players. Rochus had played best-of-five singles and doubles the two preceding days, while toward the end Andy was closer to exhaustion than I'd ever seen him. No wonder that Agassi, for example, is reluctant to spend a part of his remaining playing career in Cup matches. In my opinion, it would be wise to reduce Cup matches to best-of-three sets and to cut the top World Group to just eight nations (meaning just three weekends of play during the Cup year). Expanding each meeting to seven matches would compensate fandom for these reductions http://www.tennisserver.com/lines/lines_05_09_29.html
http://www.tennis.com/Tennis_World_Blog/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=224
Roddick said, "To be honest, after what happened, it would have been unprofessional (to celebrate). The team came on court but I said 'Let's get out of here.' It wouldn't be right (to celebrate on court), especially because you don't want that quality a match to end like that."

Grimjack
01-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Let's be serious here: any international team sporting competition won by Croatia needs to be re-evaluated for relevance.

Feña14
01-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeh Davis Cup has some great tennis, like the final last year, you could see what it meant to the players.

Ljubicic's performance against USA was amazing, his performance throughout the entire year was out standing going 11-1 I think it was. Only this could happen in Davis Cup!

I'm sort of neutral when it comes to Davis Cup, not like Team Great Britain are setting the world alight ;) So looking from the outside, I think it should retain it's place :)

Yours!05
01-31-2006, 03:35 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18005053-23216,00.html

Roddick, Blake lead US cup squad
From correspondents in New York
February 1, 2006
ANDY Roddick and James Blake will team up for the United States against Romania in the first round of the Davis Cup February 10 to 12.
The two singles stars will be joined by Australian Open doubles champions Bob and Mike Bryan in what is an enormously strong quartetBecause of its jingoistic appeal I believe it's one of the keys to the future of tennis. It's one thing that has a chance of bringing the US sports fan on board. And the support of the US sports fan is vital - to us anyway. If DC becomes the preserve of "new" countries we won't see DC ties and tennis will be hurt here.

Moose Malloy
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Yours, espn just dropped Davis Cup from its schedule(& they had been broadcasting it since 1979) due to poor ratings. So the majority of American tennis fans can't even watch davis cup now.
its largely been an irrelevant event in the US since the mid 80s(which coincided with Mac stepping away from playing for the US)

When the US last won the Cup in '95, it was largely ignored by the US media.
Trust me, the US sports fan could care less about Davis Cup.

devila
01-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Why would the US team captain feel confident of winning all ties?
He's paid quite a lot to stretch the truth for the media? He certainly can't coach. Neither singles player can recover from at least 10 months of unending match play. Blake isn't an all court player. Roddick cancelled a Memphis match because he didn't want to skip Davis Cup against Croatia. He did nothing and lost. Mike Bryan's injury and the doubles team contributed to the embarrassing loss against Ancic/Ljubicic.

Why would a top 5 player endure 6-8 hours on the court? Without time to improve his game, he enters the regular tour only to lose ranking points due to injury and fatigue.

arosen
01-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Davis Cup may not have the ratings in the US, but it attracts a large audience elsewhere, and it's the only national team competition in tennis with fans taking sides based on home team, not on players personality. It's awesome. Look what happened in Spain. It was like a football match, so many people came out to watch. Regular matches are never that involving.

Max G.
01-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Let's be serious here: any international team sporting competition won by Croatia needs to be re-evaluated for relevance.

Why?

They beat a FULL-STRENGTH US team. No excuses there about US players not showing - Agassi and Roddick on singles, Bryan Brothers on doubles.

Later, they beat a Russian team - Russia was lacking Safin, but because of injury not because of withdrawal...

That's two tough teams, and if either one of them had won you wouldn't be saying "any international team sporting competition won by the US or Russia needs to be re-evaluated for relevance."

Croatia also had some "easy" matches - beating Romania in the second round, and Slovakia in the final. (Slovakia had, along the way, beaten two of the other powerhouse teams in the draw, Spain and Argentina.)

It sickens me that you think Davis Cup "should be re-evaluated for relevance" because it's won by someone other than who you expect. Because the teams you expect to win GOT BEATEN FAIR AND SQUARE.

uNIVERSE mAN
01-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Davis Cup's frequency renders it meaningless, outside of the winning country (where it's celebrated for about 15 mins and then forgotten), no one gets any coverage whatsoever, for example, if this Davis Cup is such a big deal how come I never saw the finals? it wasn't on tv.

devila
01-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Everyone pressured Agassi to play. Mike Bryan and Roddick had hip and ankle injuries but their idol Agassi was finally with them at last. They couldn't resist playing. Agassi lost the match and the Bryans played badly on big points. Everyone knows who was blamed for the loss. Not Agassi.

Noelle
01-31-2006, 05:28 PM
defila - If you told me 2+2=4, I'd want a second and third opinion. So, without even researching your post ^^^ I choose to disbelieve it.

- KK
Kaptain, I think devila comes up with some good points sometimes. That post was one of them.

Yours!05
01-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Yours, espn just dropped Davis Cup from its schedule(& they had been broadcasting it since 1979) due to poor ratings. So the majority of American tennis fans can't even watch davis cup now.
its largely been an irrelevant event in the US since the mid 80s(which coincided with Mac stepping away from playing for the US)

When the US last won the Cup in '95, it was largely ignored by the US media.
Trust me, the US sports fan could care less about Davis Cup.I was thinking to try promoting it for its jingoistic appeal. I do understand about the emblematic "Joe Sixpack" - we have a version here. But somehow, in a land of huge Aussie Rules footy, and cricket, even the AO has become, like the Melbourne Cup (horse race) The Place To Be (and be seen), and I think about a sixth(?) of the population watched it.

Kaptain Karl
01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Kaptain, I think devila comes up with some good points sometimes. That post was one of them.You surprise me, Noelle. Here are some excerpts from that convoluted, disjointed, can't-decide-who-to-blame-so-blame-everyone, super-cynical post. (The one YOU think has good points....)

... Pat McEnroe ... told the umpire that the linesman called the ball out.So what? The Umpire's job is to check with the Linesman.

... The umpire gave ... Interesting verb choice.
... Roddick a 4-2 lead in the 5th set without bothering to find out what happened.Maybe. Maybe not.

... the Belgian captain taunted and laughed at Roddick. Days before, he mocked Roddick at the players' meeting.I didn't see this, but Davis Cup certainly brings out the partisans.

McEnroe did anything to cheat the opponents, and pretended that he did nothing wrong.Oh really? "Anything???"
Did he ... poison their Gatorade? ... whack a player's knee with a pipe? ... throw a racket to disrupt an easy put away? ... pay off some officials? ... encourage steroid use? ... teach the USA team how to get away with blood doping? ... assassinate a Rochus?

No. Of course not. defila's posts are constantly laced with hyperbole. This one is no exception.

Rochus was angry ...Duh! That's Davis Cup.

... McEnroe changed the umpire's decision.Hey, dummy! The Umpire ultimately makes the call; not any Coach.

Brad Gilbert was worried ... Great! One of the worst commentators to ever work the booth, and you elevate him to an authoritative position. (Figures...!)

After the match, Brad complained that Rochus was robbed.Big deal. Gilbert loves to stir the pot. Nothing new.

Yeah, Noelle. I can see why you admire this person's post so much. (Geez!!!)

- KK

Noelle
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Whoa, don't shoot the well-meaning messenger! I did NOT expect that sort of reaction, KK (although from your recent posts on this board, I should have). But check what you did say about the post when you actually broke it down.

... Pat McEnroe ... told the umpire that the linesman called the ball out.
So what? The Umpire's job is to check with the Linesman.

... The umpire gave ...
Interesting verb choice.
... Roddick a 4-2 lead in the 5th set without bothering to find out what happened.
Maybe. Maybe not.
... the Belgian captain taunted and laughed at Roddick. Days before, he mocked Roddick at the players' meeting.
I didn't see this, but Davis Cup certainly brings out the partisans.I didn't want you to miss the preceding by dismissing devila's post wholesale. Note that I never said I admired devila's post, but she brought up an interesting point about the ump not stepping off his perch to look at the mark.

Then again, I shouldn't have expected you to put up with sifting through **** to find gold.

VGP
01-31-2006, 07:02 PM
How come no-one called the OP a noob-troll?

Here goes. OP = noob-troll

Davis Cup is and has been the pinnacle of the sport. It's just no longer firmly in the grasp of the US and Australia. Sadly, that means the interest in the US is waning. As far as I can tell, the (US) players still care about it.

katarddx
01-31-2006, 07:13 PM
I guess they should abandon Ryder Cup as well?

I love Davis Cup and think it's unpatriotic for anyone to talk against it!!!!!!

This agression won't stand, dude.
i am with you rabbit! if you ever watched davis cup ( and i mean outside of usa) you would understand what it means for some people. but i guess not all the countries and all the people are the same... anyone remembered Spain last year or Croatia this year? that was AWSOME!

grind
01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Davis Cup is more important on the continent and in South America than it is in the U.S. That doesn't mean it isn't a problem for American tennis. I mean Johnny Mac, US Davis Cup hero, lasted what, several months to a year as captain -- even Mac's attention span to this century-old event is limited to the relative time of a TV commercial. I've always thought combining Fed and Davis Cups would be a more interesting format. The combined tour events are definately the best, so i would seem to follow that a combined team/country event would be cool too! At least we would get to enjoy watching the other sex play.

VamosRafa
02-01-2006, 12:19 AM
I've had so much fun going to Davis Cup events over the years -- they are more than fun tournaments, BTW. It's on only the weekend. So you can do that, and spend the rest of your time in Paris, Nice, Barcelona, Sydney or whatever doing something else. Perfect combo -- pro tennis plus sightseeing in a great area of the world.

But the most important thing is that you are there supporting your country. So it's an Olympic experience with two countries battling it out. And it's just a blast, I can't say anything more about it.

Perhaps the scheduling and such needs to be changed to involve all the top players, but if someone offered me tickets to a Davis Cup final involving the US, or tickets to a slam final involving anyone else, I would be there to cheer on the USA. Wouldn't have to ask me twice.

jukka1970
02-01-2006, 12:29 AM

I don't think it's as much what team wins it, as fans get to see players that they usually wouldn't see. Some other posters have said it best when they say it draws more attention to the sport as well as needed funding. I mean yes it is a big deal which country wins it, but I think most people are focused on the new and upcomming players. Plus it also puts new names into commentators heads, which at times has caused them to show a match at the slams that normally wouldn't get covered.

John

Kaptain Karl
02-01-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm with Susan and Rabbit on this one.... (Welcome back, Susan.)

- KK

VamosRafa
02-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm with Susan and Rabbit on this one.... (Welcome back, Susan.)

- KK

Thanks, KK. When you consider that I went to the USA vs. ESP final in Sevilla in 2004, while I was doing the Nadal site, but yet was in the stands waving the red-white-and-blue and cheering on Roddick against Nadal. Just shows you what country loyalty is all about. There's nothing else like it in tennis. Best bang for your tennis buck.

Phil
02-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Get rid of the Davis Cup?! What next (God forbid!); the Kremlin Cup?

We need cups. Imagine living in a world without:

The Davis Cup
The Ryder Cup
The Stanley Cup
The President's Cup
The America's Cup
The Breeder's Cup
The FIFA World Cup
The Canadian-American Challenge Cup
The Hopman Cup
The Ski World Cup
The FA Cup
The Rugby Union World Cup
The Nextel (NASCAR) Cup
The Calcutta Cup
Buttercups
Tea Cups
Athletic Cups ('ow!)

---or even worse---

The AA-Cup (*)(*) "hello, world!"

The A-Cup (quiver)

The B-Cup (wiggle)

The C-Cup (jiggle)

The D-Cup (w-wobble)

The DD-Cup (wa-wa-wobb-b-ble)

The DDD-Cup ("Er sweetheart, could you please shift a little?...you're sitting on grandma's nipples.")

I say keep 'em. I revere cups and Revere bowls.

Well, to be honest, without all of those Cups you mention in the FIRST column ONLY, my life would not be any different-for better or worse. Now for the second column: I do like "B', "C" and "D" cups-A is a bit lacking and DDD is a bit over the...ahhhh...top for me. A world without those would create a vast and gaping void in my life.

VamosRafa
02-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Phil, Dedans and whoever, you can make fun of all the Cups you want, but if you go to a Davis Cup event where your country is featured (or some country you like is featured), it does have an Olympic atmosphere. It's electric.

And what I love about Davis Cup is the fans react to every point as though it's match point. People at other events just kind of yawn and do a cursory clap here, even when a player wins a set. No so in Davis Cup. It's European soccer meets tennis, and it's so much fun. You get to bring out the horns, the clappers, and enjoy tennis in a way you can't at Wimbledon. The Queen would forbid it. But sometimes it's fun to enjoy tennis in a way the Queen would forbid. ;-)

peter
02-01-2006, 02:02 AM
You know that they get $100,000 per match, don't you?

To put things in perspective: The Swedish players get $0 per match for playing Davis Cup. And they like it that way.

(I assume though that the Swedish Tennis Association pays for their accomodation and travel and stuff like that).

bluegrasser
02-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Dedans - LOL - funny cup analogy..

If you're a real tennis fan, you have to love " Davis Cup" some of the best matches were at DC..

croatian sensation
02-01-2006, 07:07 AM

How dare u? Yes we care!!!!! Some people live outside US. In countries where tennis wasn't so popular until their team won the Cup. In countries that have only 5 000 000 inhabitants, and they now have 2 ATP tournaments because after the win tennis became so popular that the mayor of the capital decided to invest money to bring the 2nd tournament here. In countries where now maybe they'll build the first public court so that tennis stopps being affordable only to upper-class.

To you it may be a distraction...but luckily in Croatia we still have players who will virtually perform miracles in the court when playing for their country (I know that I don't have to repeat that for the real fans out here but just for you..as you don't follow the DC- Ljubicic played his best matches of the year in the DC..the best one-against Roddick being played in..oh..look, it's a miracle-your country!) and the fans who will follow them all the way to Bratislava.
I rarley say this..but thank God I live in a country where little things can still make you happy. Like the T-Shirt I bought yesterday..that says: CROATIA, DAVIS CUP WINNER 2005

Grimjack
02-01-2006, 08:28 AM
View Profile: croatian sensation
croatian sensation
Amateur

:rolleyes:

Carley1986
02-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm with the Davis Cup I guess. It kinda reminds me of watching the FIFA World Cup and The 'Olympics'. What I love about the Davis Cup is the atmosphere you get from the crowd. You get more excited crowds in davis cup than individual matches. And it's more about fun for the fans and the players. For example in the Davis Cup final, many people went to the federation square just to enjoy the match and cheer for the country where they were from (background) in the big screen. It's a chance for us to actually show our support for the country. And for the players it's actually a chance for them to show that they care for the country and not only themselves. If ya know what I mean.

Kaptain Karl
02-01-2006, 09:32 AM
This shoulda been a poll. The numbers are overwhelmingly *opposed* to the position of the OP.

Good!

- KK

bc-05
02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey Carley!!!

Carley1986
02-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Hellow!! How are yah??

Californication
02-01-2006, 10:18 AM
View Profile: croatian sensation
croatian sensation
Amateur

:rolleyes:

Yup, because the fact that you have been here longer makes you far superior to the rest of us. Oh, how we bow to you all mighty master.:rolleyes: Get a grip man.

jgunnink
02-01-2006, 12:17 PM
You guys are funny with your terminology. OP=noob troll. That's a good one.

The reason I posted about it is because I know people are on both sides of the fence on this. It's just not popular to say out loud that you don't like it. People act like it's religious blasphemy.

I know fans of tennis will naturally want to see it on TV every chance they get, so I understand not wanting to get rid of it from that perspective. I have never seen a match in person, and I'm sure the atmosphere is a lot of fun. I will probably never get a chance to see a match in person, however, so I'm not holding my breath. I'm lucky if I get to see some of the SAP each year.

As for the Olympics, personally the same thing applies. I don't care who wins the gold medal in tennis. I think it's dumb for tennis to be a olympic sport. Remember the guy who won gold last time and was supposed to take the tennis world by storm?

Was his name Nadal? No.

Gasquet? No.

Baghdatis? No.

Massu? Oh that's right. Current ranking 60-something. Exited AO first round this year.

It's like Lance Armstrong winning the gold medal in cycling (or not winning it, or not racing because he wants to prepare for the tour.) The guy who won the gold medal in the cycling TT in Athens is now found out to be a doper.

For me, the slams in tennis are awesome. We didn't even used to get to see the AO, and now we do. It's a full fortnight with good coverage like the other majors.

Personally, I rather see better coverage of the Masters events than to see Davis Cup.

At any rate, that's my opinion, and this is a discussion board, so I'm glad people have found this topic interesting enough to discuss.

VGP
02-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Sorry for my noob-troll comment....:)

Just seemed that the original post felt like a troll post.

Tennis is essentially an individual (or individual doubles team) sport.

What Davis Cup brings is a sense of nationality and team competition. The players are much less "individuals" in that sense. Each match contributes to the overall score of the tie. Plus in DC, I like how the dubs is placed on the middle day. More often than not, it's the pivital match. Much better than Fed Cup when it is only crucial if the tie goes to the fifth match (although that adds a different level of excitement).

Also, the on-court coaching seems to prevent individual players from imploding under the pressure of the situations.

As for JMac's short tenure as captain, seems to me that he thought that the Agassi's, Sampras' et al. would come running because JMac was captain. Just didn't happen. PMac's doing relatively better. But he's kind of a butt kisser to the players.

I say keep DC and dump the Olympics. It's nice that the players get to experience the Olympic environment, but the importance is a bit dulled given the grand slams, DC, and upper tiered events. Plus it's not a "team" event at the the Olympics anyway. OTOH, medals are cool I guess.

Jolly Reaper
02-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Even though I've never even really seen the Davis Cup or anything, I like it. If I did see it, I'd be ecstatic. I mean, people are so into other countries players that they forget about their own country. It'd be great to have the national pride thing in there, at least once in a awhile.

Yes, tennis is an individual sport. That's why I like it, because I hate having team members that mess it up. But with the Davis Cup you still get to play individually, but you have team members for points and all. Maybe if I was there I'd get mad at someone who goofed it up for me, but that's the only downside as I see.

The comment about the Olympics makes me a little angry. The Olympics is supposed to be the ultimate place for the ultimate athlete, and I think it should stay that way. Even though the Massu dude won the last one, that doesn't mean that it's for losers or anything. Top players have lost to low-ranked players before, and it'll happen forevermore.

I say that if they organized the Davis Cup a little better, and get planted into the ground a little quicker, then it'll have a chance of regaining its lost charm and spirit.

Dedans Penthouse
02-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Phil, Dedans and whoever, you can make fun of all the Cups you want, but if you go to a Davis Cup event where your country is featured (or some country you like is featured), it does have an Olympic atmosphere. It's electric.
No one's making fun of the Davis Cup itself....simply "running with the 'Cup' theme. That said: As for "if I ever go to a Davis Cup event

Susan, :roll:....... where do I begin? Ok, I know you like to name drop, so I'll cut to the chase: been there; done that.

Spain vs. U.S.A., Newport, Rhode Island
Saw the U.S. tinkle on Spain at the Newport Casino in the early 90's. Tomas Carbonal (sp?) muttering curses in Spanish--ha. Blast of a time in the evening at Black Pearl on Boman's Wharf (partying Danish tennis pro Torbin Ullrich, tennis' Jimmy Buffet sure liked Newport!). Would recommend the Newport Casino with or without a Davis Cup match to watch (Int'l Hall of Fame) if nothing else than being able to walk in and "book" grass court tennis, preceeded of course by lunch at LaForge adjacent (and looking out onto) the Horseshoe Court and Piazza. There's also a "Court Tennis" or "Real Tennis" court on the grounds (I think the original "court tennis" bldg. burned years ago) and I'd thoroughly, throughly, throughly recommend doing some "due dilligence" beforehand (just to get a snippet) and then take a lesson there--if you appreciate tennis, it's a unique, once-in-a-lifetime experience. Besides, the real benefit would be that you'd learn nomanclature such as "Dedans" and "Penthouse." Just think, Ellie May, of how your "cement tennis court next to thee ceement pond" California friends would be awed by your "tennis antiquity" scholarship. Dedans?....Penthouse.....oh, the esoterica alone would kill those provincial Johnny come latelys. (smirk)

Germany vs. U.S.A., Hartford, Ct.
Saw Becker (Ger.) break the hometeam's heart at the Hartford Civic Center. Er, I DO NOT recommend Hartford per se....insurance town that rolls up the sidewalks after 5:00 p.m. and the "joints" close at some rediculously early hour (1:00 a.m.).

Czechoslovakia vs. U.S.A., New York, NY
From a 1st row at Louie Armstrong, saw Ivan Lendl nail (blast) McEnroe in the chops with a forehand at point blank range and can recall McEnroe snarling "You F***ing Communist!" at the dour (now) "local boy" from Greenwich.

Austria vs. U.S.A., Uncasville, Ct.
After Robbie Ginepri struggled for a little bit in his opening match, I then saw Andy Roddick single-handedly (it almost seemed single-handedly) clobber Austria's little lefty Koubek then Meltzer at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Ct.. Austria would've been better off having Barbara "I vant to haf yer baby, Dedans!" Schett playing for them.

******* SOMEWHAT OFF-TOPIC**********

People at other events just kind of yawn and do a cursory clap here, even when a player wins a set.
You MUST be living in California.....I mean, you sound like you attend tennis events populated by L.A. Dodger fans. At the 2005 U.S. Open, when Nadal played James Blake, the warmup alone gave indication that that match was going to be anything but "tea, crumpets and lawn bowling." There was a very perceptable buzz in the stands to go with Eminem's "8 Mile" CD blasting on the Ashe Stadium P.A.. So many insane U.S. Open memories that would rank up there with the best of Davis Cup--minus the sometimes "threatening, violent vibe" that has become (esp. recently) part of the Davis Cup landscape. My favorite U.S. Open "trainwreck" : McEnroe-Nastase-Frank Hammond; pure insanity.....but nobody was going to jump out of the stands and kill someone on behalf of: "my country!!!...my people!!!...my people!!!" (yawn...)

You bring out the horns, the clappers, and enjoy tennis in a way you can't at Wimbledon. The Queen would forbid it. ;-)
Get a copy of the British BBC broadcast of the Rafter-Ivo final. THAT ranks up there with the best "atmosphere" of any place, anytime, imo. As for "Wimbledon" itself.....there IS another way to enjoy tennis. Sit 'neath the roof at Centre Court and "listen" to the intense/DEAFENING QUIET that preceeds an important point at Centre Court---very special in and of itself. I would recommend at least a semi-final match (more at stake) to witness. The "quiet" is special. The serves sound like shotguns! You can hear the "spin-of-the-ball!" Tennis' special moments are not reserved exclusively for hyper-nationalistic settings.

A "quiet" field trip: there are two cathedrals of tennis that I would suggest a visit to. One is to play grass court tennis nearing dusk at Newport in the late summer. The other is to get permission to walk down the club house at Forest Hills and go "visit the ghosts" in the now-empty Forest Hills Stadium. It's like a little Colleseum.....you look around and let the view "work for you."

As for "Davis Cup" itself, do recall my recent tome in another post about the '72 finals between the U.S. and that fat-head cheater, Ion Tiriac and Illie Nastase that was blacked out. Your "Make fun of the Davis Cup" er, asumption, completely missed the mark, Vamos. On the other hand, in this day and age, Davis Cup can (at times) get a little too boorishly jingoistic in some venues, the U.S. included, particularly in recent years. The format/atmosphere overall is indeed great, but: some idiot in a Banana Republic making outright threatening gestures with a knife, throwing coins, purposely trying to "f" with your head?.......I think that kind of crap sucks in anybody's book.

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Dedans,
were the stands filled for that Lendl-Mac match at Louis Armstrong stadium?
If so, pretty impressive that there was so much interest in Davis Cup that they could fill a 18,000 stadium.
They couldn't fill the stands at Carson last year(Croatia vs US) & that was only a 5,000 stadium.

simi
02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
The guy who won the gold medal in the cycling TT in Athens is now found out to be a doper.

That would be Tyler Hamilton and the whole "process" of this particular test is being deliberated at this time by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). The whole test can be ruled invalid and unreliable by the CAS. A final ruling is due within the next few weeks. It is premature to call Tyler a "doper". He is one of the most courageous American cyclist to ever compete in international cycling. Who else could finish fourth in the Tour de France with a broken collarbone? If he is proven guilty, then yes, we can call him a doper. Until then, we wait until the story runs its course.

jgunnink
02-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Dedans, your description of those old DC matches are awesome. That must have been the golden age, Mac calling Lendl a communist.

If that sort of thing were still happening today I'd pay any amount of money to see that. Maybe that's the problem, everything's too PC and nice today.

jgunnink
02-01-2006, 03:12 PM
All right, I take it back about TH. Actually I decided not to use his name in case I'm wrong.

Yours!05
02-01-2006, 03:18 PM
No one's making fun of the Davis Cup itself....simply "running with the 'Cup' theme. That said: As for "if I ever go to a Davis Cup event

Susan, :roll:....... where do I begin? Ok, I know you like to name drop, so I'll cut to the chase: been there; done that.

Spain vs. U.S.A., Newport, Rhode Island
Saw the U.S. tinkle on Spain at the Newport Casino in the early 90's. Tomas Carbonal (sp?) muttering curses in Spanish--ha. Blast of a time in the evening at Black Pearl on Boman's Wharf (partying Danish tennis pro Torbin Ullrich, tennis' Jimmy Buffet sure liked Newport!). Would recommend the Newport Casino with or without a Davis Cup match to watch (Int'l Hall of Fame) if nothing else than being able to walk in and "book" grass court tennis, preceeded of course by lunch at LaForge adjacent (and looking out onto) the Horseshoe Court and Piazza. There's also a "Court Tennis" or "Real Tennis" court on the grounds (I think the original "court tennis" bldg. burned years ago) and I'd thoroughly, throughly, throughly recommend doing some "due dilligence" beforehand (just to get a snippet) and then take a lesson there--if you appreciate tennis, it's a unique, once-in-a-lifetime experience. Besides, the real benefit would be that you'd learn nomanclature such as "Dedans" and "Penthouse." Just think, Ellie May, of how your "cement tennis court next to thee ceement pond" California friends would be awed by your "tennis antiquity" scholarship. Dedans?....Penthouse.....oh, the esoterica alone would kill those provincial Johnny come latelys. (smirk)

Germany vs. U.S.A., Hartford, Ct.
Saw Becker (Ger.) break the hometeam's heart at the Hartford Civic Center. Er, I DO NOT recommend Hartford per se....insurance town that rolls up the sidewalks after 5:00 p.m. and the "joints" close at some rediculously early hour (1:00 a.m.).

Czechoslovakia vs. U.S.A., New York, NY
From a 1st row at Louie Armstrong, saw Ivan Lendl nail (blast) McEnroe in the chops with a forehand at point blank range and can recall McEnroe snarling "You F***ing Communist!" at the dour (now) "local boy" from Greenwich.

Austria vs. U.S.A., Uncasville, Ct.
After Robbie Ginepri struggled for a little bit in his opening match, I then saw Andy Roddick single-handedly (it almost seemed single-handedly) clobber Austria's little lefty Koubek then Meltzer at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Ct.. Austria would've been better off having Barbara "I vant to haf yer baby, Dedans!" Schett playing for them.

******* SOMEWHAT OFF-TOPIC**********

You MUST be living in California.....I mean, you sound like you attend tennis events populated by L.A. Dodger fans. At the 2005 U.S. Open, when Nadal played James Blake, the warmup alone gave indication that that match was going to be anything but "tea, crumpets and lawn bowling." There was a very perceptable buzz in the stands to go with Eminem's "8 Mile" CD blasting on the Ashe Stadium P.A.. So many insane U.S. Open memories that would rank up there with the best of Davis Cup--minus the sometimes "threatening, violent vibe" that has become (esp. recently) part of the Davis Cup landscape. My favorite U.S. Open "trainwreck" : McEnroe-Nastase-Frank Hammond; pure insanity.....but nobody was going to jump out of the stands and kill someone on behalf of: "my country!!!...my people!!!...my people!!!" (yawn...)

Get a copy of the British BBC broadcast of the Rafter-Ivo final. THAT ranks up there with the best "atmosphere" of any place, anytime, imo. As for "Wimbledon" itself.....there IS another way to enjoy tennis. Sit 'neath the roof at Centre Court and "listen" to the intense/DEAFENING QUIET that preceeds an important point at Centre Court---very special in and of itself. I would recommend at least a semi-final match (more at stake) to witness. The "quiet" is special. The serves sound like shotguns! You can hear the "spin-of-the-ball!" Tennis' special moments are not reserved exclusively for hyper-nationalistic settings.

A "quiet" field trip: there are two cathedrals of tennis that I would suggest a visit to. One is to play grass court tennis nearing dusk at Newport in the late summer. The other is to get permission to walk down the club house at Forest Hills and go "visit the ghosts" in the now-empty Forest Hills Stadium. It's like a little Colleseum.....you look around and let the view "work for you."

As for "Davis Cup" itself, do recall my recent tome in another post about the '72 finals between the U.S. and that fat-head cheater, Ion Tiriac and Illie Nastase that was blacked out. Your "Make fun of the Davis Cup" er, asumption, completely missed the mark, Vamos. On the other hand, in this day and age, Davis Cup can (at times) get a little too boorishly jingoistic in some venues, the U.S. included, particularly in recent years. The format/atmosphere overall is indeed great, but: some idiot in a Banana Republic making outright threatening gestures with a knife, throwing coins, purposely trying to "f" with your head?.......I think that kind of crap sucks in anybody's book.Just...marvellous.:)

simi
02-01-2006, 03:49 PM
All right, I take it back about TH. Actually I decided not to use his name in case I'm wrong.

No problema. Let's just hope he is innocent. He really is one of the "nice guys". There is an auction that just started today for his foundation to raise money for multiple sclerosis.

devila
02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Ljubicic was a prejudiced, sore loser. After his luck in Davis Cup, he became the Legendary p r i ck. Not any more sportsmanlike.
John McEnroe was disgusted by him.
Brad Gilbert was indifferent. He was ape wild that he was on TV with Ljubicic. "I didn't realize Ivan was so good!!!!"
He rushed to interview him enthusiastically. Brad loves delusional players like himself.

Coria and Hewitt were furious at each other. Their fans didn't pay much attention to their dull match, but more interest was generated from their on court putrid antics.

Chadwixx
02-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Make davis cup every other year (or every four years like world cup) and its popularity will sky rocket.

Docalex007
02-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I couldn't care less about the Davis Cup. Davis Cup isn't big news, it doesn't mean jack as players would gladly trade in Davis Cup success for Grand Slam or even Masters Cup success.

...not to mention...did I mention something I haven't mentioned yet but should've mentioned that I'll mention now.....it sucks *** dude. :D

Topaz
02-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Davis Cup's frequency renders it meaningless, outside of the winning country (where it's celebrated for about 15 mins and then forgotten), no one gets any coverage whatsoever, for example, if this Davis Cup is such a big deal how come I never saw the finals? it wasn't on tv.

It was on the Tennis Channel.

croatian sensation
02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Ljubicic was a prejudiced, sore loser. After his luck in Davis Cup...
John McEnroe was disgusted by him.

I guess in some theory of possibility you can consider 11/12 matches won-luck.
And Mac also said in 2001 that Goran con only serve and nothig else. I also guess you can win Wimbledon only by serving.

Dedans Penthouse
02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
moose: yes, I recall that it was pretty much full. Not to sound like a snob but I wasn't really focusing on the tippy-top tier. I was just a farily new to the game punk who got "comped" for the seats by a friend from a club at the last minute--turned out to be a really neat experience. As for the crowd support, it definately was 15,000-16,000 plus.

But, you have to remember: this was immediately after John McEnroe stopped Borg's streak at Wimbledon. McEnroe, after beating Borg (I think I recall) chirped to the interviewer: "Party back in New York!" But then again, I'm not sure if it was his '81 win or after another Wimbledon win. The ironic thing was I was in London at Wimbly '81 and only caught the Borg-McEnroe final on the BBC "telly" having saw McEnroe beat Rod Frawley (Aus.) and Borg edge Connors in a 5-set thiller in the semis live. A couple of things to consider: This, again, was just days after McEnroe came back to N.Y. after dethroning Borg (so he was a "hot" item), but what was lost was that it was also one of the few times that Jimmy Connors was on the team as well (there was that other time years later when they made jackasses out of themselves in Sweden). McEnroe lost a close "first match" to Lendl and Connors then came out and mercilessly hammered Tomas Smid in the other singles. The crowd was kind of ****ed about Mac losing to that "Commie robot" and this New York "attitude" atmosphere was made for Jimmy Connors. Other players would've shrunk like violets---Connors came out with those squinty eyes looking like a mop-topped Mike Tyson. Smid was a sacrifical lamb and you could almost sense that he knew it.

And it should be known, that none other than the great (and former #1 in the world) Stan Smith and his partner, Californian Bob Lutz played the doubles and won as well. McEnroe then beat Smid in the "reverse singles" and Connors beat Lendl to complete the 4-1 U.S. win. But the best part of that "tie" was the first match between Lendl and McEnroe. McEnroe was feeling his oats as Wimbledon champ and Lendl was letting him know that he, Lendl, was a force that had arrived on the scene. Needless to say, the crowd suddenly loved McEnroe the "whinny brat turned you-bleeping-communist, Davis cup patriot." Eventually, the U.S. hosted the finals out on the West Coast (town?) in front of a big indoor arena crowd as well. I do remember they beat a great Argentina team that had Guillermo Vilas and Jose Luis Clerc. Mac won his singles, Roscoe Tanner lost his match and McEnroe and his N.J. buddy Peter Fleming won the doubles. That "team" repeated in '82 (sans Connors). I think that was the year McEnroe beat Willander in St. Louis in a match that took 6 hours to complete-whew!

Yours05: Before my time, but in reading books about the history of tennis (Davis Cup), I recall a number of photos from Kooyoung Stadium (spelling?) in Australia that would field 25,000 spectators to a Davis Cup final?

CDestroyer
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM
It may mean alot to the players but I think DC sucks *** as well.

jackson vile
08-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Davis cup is a huge achievement and it is very interesting to see who's country stands on top.

People from the USA don't care anymore because they are not winning anymore. Similar for tennis in general, people from USA only care when the #1 is a guy from USA.

kiki
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM

¿Would you say the same if the US had a winning team, like that of the 80´s and 90´s?.....

jokinla
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Too much tradition, it won't happen.

Emet74
08-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Davis cup is a huge achievement and it is very interesting to see who's country stands on top.

People from the USA don't care anymore because they are not winning anymore. Similar for tennis in general, people from USA only care when the #1 is a guy from USA.

The US won DC just a couple years ago and it got very little coverage. Same in the 90's; Sampras was said to be dissapointed w/ how little attention his DC win got.

adidasman
08-02-2011, 01:33 PM
The US won DC just a couple years ago and it got very little coverage. Same in the 90's; Sampras was said to be dissapointed w/ how little attention his DC win got. Because it was HIS win. Not the team's win. Typical Sampras.

Paul Murphy
08-03-2011, 05:47 AM
It's a chance for a player to represent his country - not just himself, to experience what it's like to be part of a team.
Australians, Americans, the French, Serbs and Spanish are still pretty keen on it it seems.
I am too.

Gizo
08-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I like the Davis Cup. The 2 most common suggestions that people come up with to 'improve' the competition, are to hold it every 2 years, and/or to hold in one venue over a 2 week period.

However both of those ideas would be terrible if implemented in my opinion. Firstly tennis federations would lose a lot of money if the competition was held every 2 years, as Davis Cup ties are a vital source of income. Secondly the 'home and away' format with loud football-like atmospheres at ties makes the competition special. Holding the competition in one 'neutral venue' would kill the atmosphere.

The only change I think should be made, is to reduce the World Group to 14 teams, with the 2 finalists from the previous year getting a 1st round bye. It does seem unfair that in a knock out competition, you can win it in December one year, and then have to play in the 1st round less than 2 months later.

tacou
08-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I like the Davis Cup. The 2 most common suggestions that people come up with to 'improve' the competition, are to hold it every 2 years, and/or to hold in one venue over a 2 week period.

However both of those ideas would be terrible if implemented in my opinion. Firstly tennis federations would lose a lot of money if the competition was held every 2 years, as Davis Cup ties are a vital source of income. Secondly the 'home and away' format with loud football-like atmospheres at ties makes the competition special. Holding the competition in one 'neutral venue' would kill the atmosphere.

The only change I think should be made, is to reduce the World Group to 14 teams, with the 2 finalists from the previous year getting a 1st round bye. It does seem unfair that in a knock out competition, you can win it in December one year, and then have to play in the 1st round less than 2 months later.
I'm a fan of the "World Cup" format but you make some good points
also like the Bye idea

jackson vile
08-03-2011, 09:52 AM
The US won DC just a couple years ago and it got very little coverage. Same in the 90's; Sampras was said to be dissapointed w/ how little attention his DC win got.

Not when it is a seldom to one time thing. Look at countries where it is much more consistent it gets a lot more support.