PDA

View Full Version : What if Andre Agassi retires next week ?

Dolfan
01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Where will American tennis be with out AA ? Roddick is not showing any signs of being a champion right now . I think Arod needs to go back to what got him to the top , a big serve big forehand and good fittness. Have you noticed how much he slices his backhand lately ?
James Blake is playing well but not a top five player yet. Robby Ginepri is playing good too but not a serious contender yet . Forget Dent, and Fish is trying to come back after an injury . Two years ago I thought Fish was at the top of the young American group .
If Andre retires next week we are in trouble . He will be so missed , and what will ESPN do with out him ? I do miss Sampras , but his last year was pretty painful for his fans . My favorite match happens to be Sampras's last one , he played Andre in the US Open final . So please AA , hang in there for at least a couple more years.

Californication
01-31-2006, 11:49 AM
When AA retires, the USA will no longer have that superstar presence, unless you still think Roddick is a superstar, but we will still have some good players. Ginepri is ranked 16th in the world, Roddick is still a Top 10 caliber player, Blake is ranked a career high 20...we're not doomed. Robby Ginepri I think will make a run at the US Open this year, I think he is due.

Someone else will eventually surface, maybe Scoville Jenkins, maybe Sam Querrey, heck, maybe even Donald Young.

Max G.
01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
US wouldn't be that far behind where we are now - it's not like Agassi plays Davis Cup much anyway. US will have Roddick as probably a top-10 presence, and probably a couple more guys hovering in the 20-50 range. Not that great, but not too shabby.

buder
01-31-2006, 12:02 PM
AA has to maintain at least the appearance of being active because many of his sponsors support his school...

so I think you'll see him hang around a la sampras for at least a year -- withdrawing last minute from every tourney.

love to see him play. unfortunately, it's now just a nostalgia trip. can't get past fed and prob doesn't get alot out of finishing 2nd or worse...

babbette
02-01-2006, 01:40 PM
comeon US as hope!! what about Taylor Dent?:p

Michael Haller
02-01-2006, 01:46 PM
comeon US as hope!! what about Taylor Dent?:p

LOL - he almost lost to Steffi's son ....

VGP
02-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Agassi's just waiting around until the next big thing comes up.

A lot is resting on Donald Young's shoulders.

So Agassi won't retire next week. He'll retire in like seven years.

Taylor Dent? P'shaw.

Perhaps Baghdatis should start working on his American citizenship.....

smittysan89
02-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I personally dont think that donald young has the certain skills to do good in the pros at least at this point, hopefully he will grow some and get bigger and have so more power. I guess Roddick didnt have his serve until he was around 17 and had a growth spurt so you never know.

Viper
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM
LOL - he almost lost to Steffi's son ....

I'll admit it, I laughed when I read that

tennis-n-sc
02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Arod is what, 2 or 3 in the world. In my book that qualifies for superstar status.

uNIVERSE mAN
02-01-2006, 07:38 PM
being a bald armenian that walks like a duck, that is a superstar.

BaseLineBash
02-01-2006, 07:41 PM
He's American.

superman1
02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
An American that could whomp your *** with that duck walk.

He's not retiring anytime soon, he's playing right now. He better not retire next week because I'm going to the SAP Open just for him and McEnroe.

breakfast_of_champions
02-01-2006, 08:47 PM
andre only has 1 or 2 good tournaments a year nowadays anyway.

AAUS
02-01-2006, 08:56 PM
he made the quarters pr better of every non-clay tourney he joined last year

breakfast_of_champions
02-01-2006, 09:35 PM
he made the quarters pr better of every non-clay tourney he joined last year

right, and between the clay, and missed tournaments, thats the majority of the men schedule. making quarters sure isn't challenging for #1, either.

Rickson
02-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Where will American tennis be with out AA ? Roddick is not showing any signs of being a champion right now . I think Arod needs to go back to what got him to the top , a big serve big forehand and good fittness. Have you noticed how much he slices his backhand lately ?
James Blake is playing well but not a top five player yet. Robby Ginepri is playing good too but not a serious contender yet . Forget Dent, and Fish is trying to come back after an injury . Two years ago I thought Fish was at the top of the young American group .
If Andre retires next week we are in trouble . He will be so missed , and what will ESPN do with out him ? I do miss Sampras , but his last year was pretty painful for his fans . My favorite match happens to be Sampras's last one , he played Andre in the US Open final . So please AA , hang in there for at least a couple more years.
Life will go on, that's what. What would the NBA be like without Michael Jordan? Life went on as usual. Michael was a great player, but do you really want to watch a 50 year old Jordan play against Kobe? Agassi is only 36 so we'll see what happens, but when he retires, remember that life goes on.

VGP
02-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Life will go on, that's what. What would the NBA be like without Michael Jordan? Life went on as usual. Michael was a great player, but do you really want to watch a 50 year old Jordan play against Kobe? Agassi is only 36 so we'll see what happens, but when he retires, remember that life goes on.

Yup. It did when Sampras walked away. Now we's gots Feds. After Agassi and Feds? Who knows.......