PDA

View Full Version : Watched Agassi practice today

Indy Tennis
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
At Delray Beach on Tuesday. He was hitting with NCAA champ Benedikt Dorsch. At one point the two were just doing constant baseline rallies and after about 15 mins. of non-stop hitting Dorsch looked like he was ready to lose his lunch. Agassi looked fresh.

Agassi and coach Cahill appear to be working on heavier groundies (if you can believe that). His serve in last nights match was much improved. In one game he aced Mello three times and hit an unreturnable to close out the game.

If you think you see Agassi hit some awesome shots during a match, you should see some of the stuff he does in practice. It's absolutely unreal!

He hit some winners that where among the hardest shots I've ever seen.

They played some practice games. Agassi won most of them, but Dorsch held his own, at least when serving.

It was a blast to get to sit in on the session.

Honestly, it looks like Agassi uses Cahill to bounce ideas off of more than anything else.

It looks like Agassi is serious about giving it one last shot at trying to catch Federer. It will be an uphill battle for sure, but he's in tremendous shape and seems to be hitting really sharply.

It's good to see him coming back so strong after a long layoff.

simi
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Nice report, Indy. Thanks for the update. Good insight.

TennisWooh
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Good to hear Agassi is doing okay. Nice report!

Gugafan_Redux
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah, cool report. I need to see Andre play a match live before he retires! I better do something about that.

Lee
01-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Indy, how does Dorsch look? I saw him play once 2 years ago. Is he a top 10 material?

Lee
01-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah, cool report. I need to see Andre play a match live before he retires! I better do something about that.

I saw him for the first time last year at SAP open, but he lost to Melzer. I want to see him WINNING a match live before he retires!

35ft6
01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
It's been known forever that Agassi hits wayyyyyy harder in practice than he does in matches. I saw him warmup for his US Open final against Todd Martin. Todd had a methodical warmup (with Jose Higueras), going through every stroke, a warmup that lasted well over an hour (probably around 90 minutes), whereas Agassi came out, just started KILLING the ball, hit every shot for about 2 minutes, hit 5 overheads, like 10 serves, and that was it. Brad was just bunting the ball back to Andre, and Andre hit groundstrokes so hard and flat it was hard to believe the laws of physics would even allow them to stay in. Like 13 minutes tops. Unreal. Guga, Roddick, and Agassi hit the biggest forehands in practice I've ever seen.

unkast
01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Anyone know if AA still plans to skip the whole claycourt season? I remember hearing that before.

joesixtoe
01-31-2006, 01:27 PM
i've seen agassi play twice these last two years at the nasdaq, and its always a night match it seems when he plays, and the atpmsophere is electric, especially when he is first walking onto the court. its pretty cool.

Dan007
01-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Good thing Andre is feeling better.

jamumafa
01-31-2006, 01:33 PM
i want AA to play wimby

Indy Tennis
01-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Indy, how does Dorsch look? I saw him play once 2 years ago. Is he a top 10 material?
Lee,

I think Dorsch was a little overwhelmed by playing with Agassi. He got really tired during the extended groundstroke drills and started missing a lot towards the end.

It was intense though. They would get a ball going and just kept pounding away. If someone missed another ball was immediately put back in play. This was in effect like having a 15-minute rally. Dorsch was breathing really hard by the end of it, and as I said began missing because he wasn't getting to the ball as well.

His serving is really a strong point and he hit a nice ball for Agassi to practice against.

He's good for sure. Needs a little seasoning, but I think he'll be a solid pro player.

35ft6
01-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Top 10? No way. He's a grinder who physically overwhelmed guys with tenacity in college but he's got no pro level weapons. Top 75 would be very good for him.

djones
01-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Very nice to hear the good news about Agassi!
Do you have any pictures of the training?

Are you going back to the tournament tomorrow orso?
See if you can have a close look of his racquet:-)

Marius_Hancu
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
His serving is really a strong point and he hit a nice ball for Agassi to practice against.

He's good for sure. Needs a little seasoning, but I think he'll be a solid pro player.

too late, he's already 24.

Rabbit
01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Great report.

Foo4Everlong
01-31-2006, 09:15 PM
i want AA to play wimby

He will. One of the main reasons he wasn't going to play the French Open. The last two years the French has kept Andre out of Wimbledon, so it's almost a no brainer. But one of my questions is, will he skip all the tune-up tournaments before the French? I know there are quite a few clay court tournies before the French, it seems like it might be a bad thing if he misses too many tournaments. But I guess it depends on how well he does at the Pacific Life and the Nasdaq as to whether or not he skip that part of the season. Stay tuned! And hope that this year Andre remains injury free. Later

K!ck5w3rvE
01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Good Report, I'm not surprised about the way he uses Cahill, more as a mentor type role.

superman1
02-01-2006, 01:13 AM
I doubt he'll ever play on clay again.

Sixpointone
02-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Hi Indy,

That is an interesting report. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
John

Galactus
02-01-2006, 05:40 AM
That's why I question when people say 'ohh today's pros hit much harder than they did 10-15 years ago'...
Watching Agassi and Sampras go at it toe-to-toe, especially circa 1999-2002 was one the most explosive things in modern tennis...

35ft6
02-01-2006, 05:43 AM
That's why I question when people say 'ohh today's pros hit much harder than they did 10-15 years ago'...
Watching Agassi and Sampras go at it toe-to-toe, especially circa 1999-2002 was one the most explosive things in modern tennis... I think most people think that on average, like among the top 100, players hit harder, but if you take a super high powered match from 10 years ago, it would compare favorably to a contemporary match. But Agassi versus Sampras or Safin versus Roddick or Federer? Becker versus Lendl on clay, or Gonzalez versus Ferrero?

Galactus
02-01-2006, 05:59 AM
I think most people think that on average, like among the top 100, players hit harder, but if you take a super high powered match from 10 years ago, it would compare favorably to a contemporary match. But Agassi versus Sampras or Safin versus Roddick or Federer? Becker versus Lendl on clay, or Gonzalez versus Ferrero?
Sampras - Agassi, either the Cincinnatti Masters Final from '99 or the US Open Qtr-Final from '01. There's great examples of power-hitting from both guys from the baseline...not only that, but neither of these two dealt with loopy topspins games like the guys of today, either...

LN_Dad
02-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Indy, how quick is Dorsh around the court? I hear he's built like a linebacker?
I've seen Agassi in practice before and would tend to agree that he hits way harder in practice than in a real match. It's the showman in him when there's nothing at stake.

Rabbit
02-01-2006, 07:07 AM
I've posted this before, but a few years ago when the Masters was in Bejing(?), Agassi was playing Ferrero. Both were at the baseline and apparently Agassi got a really good look at a forehand. I've never seen one hit so hard. He hit it from his baseline so hard that all Ferrero had time to do at his baseline was play the reply from between his legs in a desperate half volley.

Agassi was 30+ years in age then and still able to clock it like no one else in the game. Gilbert has gone on record as saying that he and Agassi changed his strategy. Agassi looks now for an 8 ball rally moving his opponent side to side while he controls the center of the court. If you watch his matches thinking about what Gilbert said, it's really cool. Agassi will often take pace off to keep the ball playable. Gilbert went on to say that one of the biggest changes was getting Agassi to accept the loss of a set, especially in a 3/5 or harsh conditions, as a good thing. The reason? What Agassi's game takes out of a player usually pays him back in the long run with a "W". Agassi loses the first set, but it takes so much effort against him that the opponent can't sustain.

Agassi takes the ball so early and hits it so hard that he's about as unique to play against as McEnroe.

BabolatFan
02-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Fantastic report. Thank you. I'm a huge fan of AA and hope he's taking this year's slams extremely seriously especially the Wimby and USO. He's also the last true hardcourt top player to win the FO slam in 1999. Rumors have it that he may retire after 2006 USO.

jackcrawford
02-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Watching Agassi and Sampras go at it toe-to-toe, especially circa 1999-2002 was one the most explosive things in modern tennis...
Thanks for the report, first off. Galactus, I agree - Agassi to me hit slightly harder in 1988 than he does now and Lendl still beat him at the US Open that year. On average below the top 10 it seems to be true.

drexeler
02-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Agree that although the power level at the top hasn't increased, it seems like so many players outside of top10 can crack a 100MPH forehand: Blake, Verdasco, Gonzalez, Turusunov, J. Johansson, Grosjean, Monfils, Gasquet, Ishtomin, Calleri etc

BillH
02-01-2006, 09:42 AM
I had the pleasure of wathching Aggasi warm-up at the clay court tourney in Houston a few years ago. I sat on ground level approximately 3 feet from the sideline of the court. Aggasi did a long rally warm-up like you describe except hitting with Cahill. I was pretty impressed with Cahill's ability to keep up with the play. I was also floored by how hard Agassi could hit the ball, especially on the forehand side. Even relatively flat shots still had an incedible amount of rotation and every shot looked immensely heavy. Aggasi then worked on his serve by starting with hitting 10-12 massive kickers into about a 2x2 square foot corner of the ad court as if it were nothing. I didn't see but two or three of those massive forehands during the Roddick-Aggasi final - every thing had much more spin and was usually played 2-4 feet above the net cord.

legolas
02-01-2006, 09:44 AM
nice, good to hear good things about aa

156MPHserve
02-01-2006, 01:39 PM
IMO... Agassi should start the clay season late... last year he started Monte Carlo and didn't have the health to play the French. IMO he should skip Monte Carlo, Hamburg and play Rome. Then he will have decent preparation for the French. The French may be the only surface he can beat Federer on although Nadal and Gasquet among others would eat him for dinner.

rod99
02-01-2006, 02:32 PM
he didn't play monte carlo last year. he played houston then went to rome (semi-finals) and then hamburg (1st round in very cold conditions).

slice bh compliment
02-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Agassi looks now for an 8 ball .........

Hmm. But isn't that a banned substance?

KIDDING. Just a little fun with quotes.

Good luck Dre. Wish you were back three weeks ago in Oz.

We've got to see another Federer/Andre classic or two this year. Doesn't matter who wins, it's always great points.

Mr.Federer
02-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Did you take any pictures?

35ft6
02-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I had the pleasure of wathching Aggasi warm-up at the clay court tourney in Houston a few years ago. I sat on ground level approximately 3 feet from the sideline of the court. Aggasi did a long rally warm-up like you describe except hitting with Cahill. I was pretty impressed with Cahill's ability to keep up with the play. I saw Cahill practicing with Hewitt a few years ago and, yeah, the guy has no problem keeping the balls in play. If you had seen Brad Gilbert practice with Agassi, you'd be amazed by how nice Brad's strokes are compared to hacks like us. He was effortless getting the balls back with enough pace and depth to make it worth Andre's time.

About the 8 ball thing, I've heard many times about players talking about the first time they played Agassi, and how they never ran that much in a tennis match their entire lives. And how other players will tell them before the match that they're going to run their butts off. haha. It's like a rite of passage.

Chadwixx
02-01-2006, 04:19 PM
About the 8 ball thing, I've heard many times about players talking about the first time they played Agassi, and how they never ran that much in a tennis match their entire lives. And how other players will tell them before the match that they're going to run their butts off. haha. It's like a rite of passage.

I played his hitting partner in a tournament back when agassi was at bolliteri's. He said winning 1 or 2 points off andre isnt very hard, but to win a game is near impossible. Oddly enough the guy wore me out and i lost in three.

joesixtoe
02-01-2006, 09:50 PM
IMO... Agassi should start the clay season late... last year he started Monte Carlo and didn't have the health to play the French. IMO he should skip Monte Carlo, Hamburg and play Rome. Then he will have decent preparation for the French. The French may be the only surface he can beat Federer on although Nadal and Gasquet among others would eat him for dinner.

agassi beat Gasquet 3-3 last year

superman1
02-02-2006, 12:27 AM
He probably wouldn't have any trouble blowing Gasquet away again, considering Gasquet's results this year. Losing to Henman? No one loses to Henman anymore.

35ft6
02-02-2006, 03:56 AM
I played his hitting partner in a tournament back when agassi was at bolliteri's. He said winning 1 or 2 points off andre isnt very hard, but to win a game is near impossible. Oddly enough the guy wore me out and i lost in three. I think you posted a longer version of this response a while back. Sweet the first time, sweet this time, too. Any more to it?

willm873
02-02-2006, 06:10 AM
are these ralleys down the center or all over the court, the ones in the warm up

BaseLineBash
02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
''I figured it's been 20 years -- I might as well try it,'' said Agassi, laughingly admitting the serve-and-volley game has never been his source of success. ``I might as well come to the net besides for shaking hands.'' (post match quote about saving two match points by coming to net in the second round)

AJK1
02-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Seems he got over his injury pretty fast since pulling out of the OZ Open?

BillH
02-02-2006, 01:48 PM
are these ralleys down the center or all over the court, the ones in the warm up

The one I saw, they started down the middle and progessed to all over the court. It appeared each was trying to win a "point" however they could.

marc
02-02-2006, 02:30 PM
andre served and volleyed before he got to nick's academy...

tkramer15
02-06-2006, 11:28 AM

Yeah, Agassi played Houston and then Rome and Hamburg. He did not play in Monte Carlo. In fact, the last time he played in Monte Carlo was in 1998. It's too bad the injury risk is gonna keep him out of the clay season this year because he showed he's still capable of beating good opponents on clay last year. His run to the semis in Rome was impressive, with straight set wins over Gasquet, Ljubicic and Hrbaty before losing a close straight setter to Coria. The decision is for the best though, as Agassi's got a more realistic shot of doing well at Wimbledon than at the French. And he's been forced to miss Wimbledon the last two years because of the beating his back and hip took on clay.