PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about my shoulder (pure drive) - Will this help??

Venus06
01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi. I currently use a Babolat Pure Drive but i havent played tennis for a few weeks becuase it is winter and i have no indoor courts near me. (I live in the UK).

Since using the Pure Drive for about a year i have experienced some problems with my shoulder quite recently and i put it down to the racket because of everything i have read and other peoples problems.

I am looking to change my racket and hope to go to Wilson as i like the lightness of their rackets - i am male but not that strong and still growing and i need something to help me improve my game. I find 310 grams plus is too heavy and just not manouverable enough.

I really like the look of the Wilson N4 (Venus blue one) but not the oversized version. Will this racket be better for my arm than the Pure Drive? Also would it be better for my arm than the Pure Storm MP (yellow one) which i have also recently purchased but played with once.

I would add lead tape to the grip to balance the racket out but my question is simple - which is better for my arm? I would just like an answer then you can suggest other rackets from Wilson which may be better as i'm sure you will. Please reply so i can get out of this rut i am in and can start preparing for the Summer - thanks.

Marius_Hancu
01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
nothing too light, nothing too stiff, suggest PK or Volkl

FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

Search the Health forum for "shoulder" and read everything or ...

Marius_Hancu
01-31-2006, 01:45 PM
check this out too:

Babolat = elbow pain?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=27161

Venus06
01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks for replying.
Just wondered - referring back to my question - will the N4 be more friendlier on my arm? Can anyone answer this?

Genki
01-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Can't give you a comparison of the Rackets but I have been playing with a PD standard for 3 years and have never had elbow or shoulder problems. I'm 63 and play 3-4 days a week. My racket is strung with Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17, strung at 52#.

Azza
01-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Here's a suggestion... Dont string the PD with Pro Hurricane (or any racquet for that matter) and I can assure you you'll have no shoulder problems...

d_techie
01-31-2006, 09:43 PM
yes, ive had my PD+ strung with polymono and it is very stiff...bad idea..but isn't pro hurricane is more flexible than polymono?

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 08:17 AM
use multis or natural gut, best for your arm and shoulder, no polys
also, string in the lower part of the range

d_techie
02-02-2006, 01:42 AM
hmm...natural gut is too expensive for me...right now I strung my PD with polymono @53lbs...still too stiff...marius, do you have any suggestion about using lead tape to reduce the risk of TE using Bab PD+?sorry if my English is very bad, I hope you get my point

Marius_Hancu
02-02-2006, 04:50 AM
hmm...natural gut is too expensive for me...right now I strung my PD with polymono @53lbs...still too stiff...marius, do you have any suggestion about using lead tape to reduce the risk of TE using Bab PD+?sorry if my English is very bad, I hope you get my point

well, lead might reduce the impact vibrations because of more mass, but it would not make your racquet and your strings less stiff.

you should try it, but you should be aware it places more load on your shoulder and arm, thus you should be in good condition for that.

Take2
02-02-2006, 03:01 PM
The shoulder problem might not be caused by vibration or lite racket. Instead, it might be that you're shoulder just isn't strong enough or you are swinging too hard or your service toss is off. If this is the case, adding lead will just make matters worse.

Hit the weight room and focus on rotator cuff. Have someone take a look at the mechanics of your strokes. If that fails, then try the lead.

SHUNGO
02-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Venus06, I had wrist problems with my PD std., I really believe it is the racquet stiffness the problem, I switched strings to multifilament of high quality, improved but pain kept on, changed tensions several times, no big changes, so finally changed to my old Volk T10MP and yes pain stopped, but I donīt like too much the weight on this one and my game does not improve, but with good luck, I got a Babolat Pure Storm, and yes, is a good answer, same feels as with the PD, but much more solid, its stiffness is 64 instead of 71 so it is very, very comfortable (my wrist pain just dissapeared) and also lower weight, with great control, I sincerely recomend you give it a try, test it, and you might find an answer, at Wilson tem I have been already, and can recomend you the Protour 95, great racquet, comfortable but still not light.

Venus06
02-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi, thanks for your responses. Well as far as im conerned the Pure Drive is a no go. I wont be using it anymore i dont think becuase i played yesterday with it and my arm was a little sore.

Couldnt find any rythm at all with the pure storm either so i have just purchased a Wilson N Pro Team racket for Ģ75.

I read lots of reviews on how this is an arm friendly racket and i have also previously play tested it before and had good results. The racket is head light and is 291 grams which is really good for me.

Hopefully it will be better for me than the Babolat's i currently own. I wont rule out playin with the Babolat Pure Storm MP, but im cetainly not going to on a constant basis.

tennis_nerd22
02-03-2006, 03:34 PM
something's concerning me here: about the pro hurricane strings, because i was gonna get a hyrbrid with the hurricanes on the mains, but this arm/shoulder thing is starting to worry me. however, im only 15, so i dont think ill have to worry about this... will i? like, is it just a thing as you get old, as in really old (btw, no offence or anything to anyone)? or is it just that poly strings naturally are bad for your arm?

Venus06
02-04-2006, 04:20 AM
No, i dont think it's one of these "as you get older" things.

I am 17 and have shoulder problems through using the Pure Drive. I have also been using the Pure Storm MP which is strung using Pro Hurricane strings. I have changed rackets becuase i want to be playing tennis for a long time and i need a racket that offers me power as thats my style of play. I want to mix my game up also and i feel something like the Wilson Npro will help me a lot more.

Im not saying get a new racket or anything - just saying that you could experience arm and shoulder problems like i have if you continue to use that rakcet on a consistent basis.

It baffles me why its been the best selling racket for ages personally. I mean before all my problems i could've gathered why - great power potential, good on all aspects of the game and it looks great. But when it comes to being arm friendly..... :|
I'd rather look elsewhere......

Marius_Hancu
02-04-2006, 07:29 AM
something's concerning me here: about the pro hurricane strings, because i was gonna get a hyrbrid with the hurricanes on the mains, but this arm/shoulder thing is starting to worry me. however, im only 15, so i dont think ill have to worry about this... will i? like, is it just a thing as you get old, as in really old (btw, no offence or anything to anyone)? or is it just that poly strings naturally are bad for your arm?

you have to worry about your body at any age.
use multifilament string, not polys.
injuries just accumulate in your body, many of them don't disappear, then BOOM, they hit you.
these are called RSI (Repetitive Strain Injuries)
do a search at Yahoo on them

Venus06
02-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Chaning to a Pure Storm Team (lower stiffness and higher weight than Storm MP) I think this will be more beneficial to me.

Will adding lead tape to the handle of the Storm Team help with making it more head light - thus reducing any arm problems?