PDA

View Full Version : Guga to play Davis Cup next weekend.

simi
01-31-2006, 03:51 PM
The official nominations just came out for the Davis Cup ties for the weekend of February 10-12 and I was happy to see Gustavo Kuerten is on the team. Of course, this doesn't mean that he will actually play. It will be nice to see him back on the tour soon . . . just in time for the clay court season.

- - - - - below cut-n-paste from Davis Cup e-mail sent earlier today - - - - -

AMERICAS ZONE GROUP I 1ST ROUND

PERU v BRAZIL
Venue: Asia, Peru (clay, outdoors)

Peru
Luis Horna
Ivan Miranda
Matias Silva
Mauricio Echazu
Captain: Jaime Yzaga

Brazil
Andre Sa
Gustavo Kuerten
Ricardo Mello
Flavio Saretta
Captain: Fernando Meligeni

pound cat
02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Kuerten sees retirement looming

Kuerten has had two hip operations since 2004
Brazilian Gustavo Kuerten says he will retire at the end of the season if his form fails to improve.
A three time winner of the French Open, Kuerten, has struggled to come back from a succession of injuries.

Currently playing doubles for Brazil in the Davis Cup tie with Peru, the former world number one has slipped to 300 in the rankings.

"I am 29 and if by the end of the season I haven't rediscovered my top form, I will stop playing," he said.

ACE of Hearts
02-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Its sad to see Guga go down like this.I love the way this guy plays.I hope he goes out in style!:)

legolas
02-10-2006, 06:03 PM
i hope guga goes out in style too

gugafanatic
02-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Guga was due to play in Chile but he suffered a set back prior to the tournament twisting his ankle. He has fully recovered from the injury and hopes to maintain his charge during the clay court swing. Guga is hoping the hardwork he has put in pre-season will help him achieve better results.

Guga is not currently contemplating retirement but he would find it very frustrating if he is not finding his top form and improving his ranking by the end of the year. He has put alot of physical training in during the off season, and the hip does not seem to be bothering him.

DaveGrable
02-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Guga is a tragic story. He probably would have reigned supreme over the French Open had he not succumbed to injuries. It's just a shame such a great talent went to waste.

yo_3133
02-11-2006, 09:29 AM
we're going to beat kuerten's ***

gugafanatic
02-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Guga is a tragic story. He probably would have reigned supreme over the French Open had he not succumbed to injuries. It's just a shame such a great talent went to waste.

Great talent went to waste??. How exactly do you work that one out. Kuerten has 3 grand slams and finished yr end number one by winning the masters cup, being one of the few players to take out Sampras and Agassi in an prestigious tournament. He is also top 10, in all time career earnings not to mention the masters tournaments he has won.

The only tragedy is missing out on the possiblity of a Fed vs Kuerten rivalry.

Shabazza
02-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Great talent went to waste??. How exactly do you work that one out. Kuerten has 3 grand slams and finished yr end number one by winning the masters cup, being one of the few players to take out Sampras and Agassi in an prestigious tournament. He is also top 10, in all time career earnings not to mention the masters tournaments he has won.

The only tragedy is missing out on the possiblity of a Fed vs Kuerten rivalry.
It's not that he wasn't succesful, he had a great career, but that he could have won so much more if it were not for those injuries :( I really love his style and his one handed backhand is a beauty
you're right there were way to few matches between Fed and Guga, both are classy players - damn I hate injuries!!!!! :mad:
I really hope he finds some form this year - go Guga you're still capable to suprise us all!

Go Tennis
02-11-2006, 03:11 PM
gugafanatic, Kuerten has the honor to be the ONLY player to beat Sampras e Agassi back to back. Did you remember when Guga in the same day beat Tim Heman and a couple of hours later beat Patrick Rafter to win a Masters Series? A wonderfull player. Gustavo Kuerten deserves to be in the tennis history.

hermano05
02-11-2006, 04:09 PM
sorry... i forgot the spoiler.