PDA

View Full Version : Hingis proves weak state of WTA eurosport

pound cat
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Tennis AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Hingis proves weak state of women's game

Your feedbackWomen's tennis is in trouble and Martina Hingis is the proof! When the former world number one can reach the quarter-finals of a major after three years of absence, it shows that the game has not moved on, argues Gregory Lanzenberg.

Many predicted that the 25-year-old Hingis would not pass the first hurdle in Australia when she was drawn against 30th seed Vera Zvonareva.

But those predictions went down the Yara river.

But they forgot that Martina Hingis was one of the smartest players in history.

In her preparation, Hingis always made sure to strike the balance between athleticism, technique and strategy.

NO GAME PLAN

Athletically, the game has moved on. Kim Clijsters, Maria Sharapova, the Williams sisters, and Lindsay Davenport can hit the stuffing out of the ball.

But Hingis can not only return, she can anticipate where her opponent is going to hit the ball and decide in a flash where to put it herself.

That's how she ended Monica Seles' reign as undisputed world number one.

Four players among the elite have the ability to do more than bash the ball:

Justine Henin-Hardenne, Kim Clijsters, Amelie Mauresmo and Anastasia Myskina have a complete game, enter the court with a game plan, and can change plans during the course of a match. All the others have the same baseline game and few answers when the script does not go according to plan.

The Swiss surprised even herself winning her first-ever mixed doubles title at the Australian Open. "It definitely exceeded my expectations, " she told reporters before jetting off for Tokyo to play the Pan-Pacific tournament.

"It has to be so encouraging for Martina Hingis to see Amelie Mauresmo win and not Maria Sharapova or Lindsay Davenport, because Mauresmo is not going overpower Hingis," noted Eurosport TV analyst Mats Wilander.

The former Swedish champion says Hingis can say to herself "I can do what Mauresmo does and I'm mentally tougher."

EYE ON ROLAND GARROS

As Hingis' serve improves, Wilander believes she and Mauresmo have a genuine shot at dominating the big tournaments.

In the case of Mauresmo, she's always choked at the French Open under the pressure of playing in her home tournament. Finally winning a major could relieve that pressure.

And as for Hingis, we missed her last year in Paris. So few of the top women showed any inspiration on clay.

The return of Hingis will undoubtedly oblige her opponents to think on their feet, and that can only be good news.

Max G.
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
As Hingis' serve improves,

I think that should be "IF Hingis' serve improves". I don't see that as a given at all...

Shabazza
01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
I think that should be "IF Hingis' serve improves". I don't see that as a given at all...
Her first serve certainly has, her 2nd is as weak as ever, though.

Alexandros
01-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Ended Monica Seles' reign as number one? Undisputed number one?!

Noelle
01-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Oh no. Not again.

Nalbandian
01-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Ended Monica Seles' reign as number one? Undisputed number one?!

Everybody knows that it was knife from a jealous german fan that ended Monica's undisputed reign as number one on April 1993.

fishuuuuu
01-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Oh no. Not again.

Hi Noelle ... nice to see you on another thread about Hin ... Seles and Graf ...

These nuts ... they just don't stop ... maybe the next step for 'admin' is to make a sub-forum completely dedicated to Seles/Graf.

VGP
01-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Could it be that Hingis actually is better now than when she "retired?"

Her failed comeback in '05 showed her how far off she was. Then a full season of WTT helped with her confidence.

The WTA tour is in a wierd state, that I agree with. Tell me how almost every top 10 player gets by in matches with 50-60 unforced errors....its just week in, week out hard-hitting no-brainer tennis from both sides of the net. The one that wins is the one that sucks less on that afternoon.

Funny how Mary Carillo was calling one of Hingis' matches at the AO and was glad to finally see a match with "healthy numbers."

That's just sad.

chess9
01-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Because Hingis has ragged on the strong girls, I don't think she will ever take the conditioning steps necessary to rise to the top 3 in the WTA. If she were my player, I'd have her getting a lot beefier in the arms and chest. Sort of what Agassi II looks like. :) Right now, she looks like she couldn't bench a 6 pack of Yonex racquets.

Although Mauresmo may look like a man (mostly because of her walk and facial features, I think) she has a very strong looking build that appears to be the product of some serious weight training. Maybe I'm wrong....Actually, she looks stronger than Federer, who should never take his shirt off in public. Ugh, I think I've destroyed my own argument.....:)

-Robert
________
MARY JANE (http://maryjanes.info/)

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 09:15 AM
TOKYO (AP) -- Martina Hingis made an impressive return to Tokyo on Wednesday, needing just 35 minutes to cruise past South Korea's Cho Yoon-jeong 6-0, 6-0 in the first round of the Pan Pacific Open.

Hingis barely broke a sweat on her way to a convincing win over Cho that set up a second-round clash with third-seeded Nathalie Dechy of France, who had a first-round bye.

"I just really like playing here," Hingis said. "I've always done well here in the past and those memories kicked in well."

"Women's tennis is at such a high level right now that everyone in the top 10 is a rival," Sharapova told a Tokyo press conference in comments published by Reuters. "Martina is not in there yet but I'm sure she will quickly get into the top 10."

Applez
02-01-2006, 09:19 AM
TOKYO (AP) -- Martina Hingis made an impressive return to Tokyo on Wednesday, needing just 35 minutes to cruise past South Korea's Cho Yoon-jeong 6-0, 6-0 in the first round of the Pan Pacific Open.

Hingis barely broke a sweat on her way to a convincing win over Cho that set up a second-round clash with third-seeded Nathalie Dechy of France, who had a first-round bye.

"I just really like playing here," Hingis said. "I've always done well here in the past and those memories kicked in well."

"Women's tennis is at such a high level right now that everyone in the top 10 is a rival," Sharapova told a Tokyo press conference in comments published by Reuters. "Martina is not in there yet but I'm sure she will quickly get into the top 10."

Wow that's simply amazing.. That's why I love Martina

It's safe to say that Martina Hingis is BACK

Michael Haller
02-01-2006, 09:55 AM

Yeah, Sharpy baby, women's tennis is at such a high level right now that a former #1 player - who never was one of the really greats of the game actually - can go away from the game for more than 3 years, then return and clobber the #61 to pulp with 6-0 6-0 ....

The tennis guy
02-01-2006, 10:02 AM
If she were my player, I'd have her getting a lot beefier in the arms and chest. Sort of what Agassi II looks like. :) Right now, she looks like she couldn't bench a 6 pack of Yonex racquets.
-Robert

That's just opposite of what Agassi did. Agassi realized all those muscles he put on in 90s increased power but reduced his quickness, thus he started to slim down. Look at Agassi now.

You have to find the balance.

Nalbandian
02-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah, Sharpy baby, women's tennis is at such a high level right now that a former #1 player - who never was one of the really greats of the game actually - can go away from the game for more than 3 years, then return and clobber the #61 to pulp with 6-0 6-0 ....

Not one of the greats? LMAO

And the german #1 by DEFAULT is one the greats? am I right? LMAO

araghava
02-01-2006, 10:48 AM
"Justine Henin-Hardenne, Kim Clijsters, Amelie Mauresmo and Anastasia Myskina have a complete game, enter the court with a game plan, and can change plans during the course of a match. All the others have the same baseline game and few answers when the script does not go according to plan."

I'm surprised that Kim Clijsters has been included in this list. I would put her into the banger category.

MonkeyPox
02-01-2006, 10:59 AM
And I would put Myskina not in the league of the others at all. One good tournament doesn't really make her a contender. And she's too much of a nutbag.

chess9
02-01-2006, 11:07 AM
The Tennis Guy:

Is that true? I thought AA was still pumping some serious iron. He still looks a lot stronger than he did in the late '80's, but maybe my memory is bad. Probably need some before and after and recently pics. :)

I agree that the balance must be there, but you don't have to be muscle bound to be very strong. Young kids can lift and get very strong without putting on much muscle at all.

In Hingis case, she looks great, but, let's face it, these other women pros are very very physically strong for the most part.

-Robert
________
HOMEMADE LIGHT BULB (http://www.vaporshop.com)

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Agree, Agassi in the early 90s was much more bulked up than he is now. He realized he lost speed because of it & trimmed down.

The tennis guy
02-01-2006, 09:34 PM
The Tennis Guy:

Is that true? I thought AA was still pumping some serious iron. He still looks a lot stronger than he did in the late '80's, but maybe my memory is bad. Probably need some before and after and recently pics. :)

I agree that the balance must be there, but you don't have to be muscle bound to be very strong. Young kids can lift and get very strong without putting on much muscle at all.

In Hingis case, she looks great, but, let's face it, these other women pros are very very physically strong for the most part.

-Robert

Yes, it is true. Hingis can go JHH route, strong but not too much muscle. Your suggestion of beefing up her upperbody will reduce her quickness advantage.

AeonT
02-02-2006, 12:02 AM
And I would put Myskina not in the league of the others at all. One good tournament doesn't really make her a contender. And she's too much of a nutbag.

I agree Monekypox ha, ha, ha