PDA

View Full Version : racquet weighting and lead tape questions

Steve Dykstra
01-31-2006, 04:08 PM
I recently made the switch from the Estusa Power Beam Pro to the Estusa Power Beam Braided. The racquets are supposed to be very similar. However, the grip size is bigger on the new racquets even though it was supposed to be the same. In order to have the grip feel right I now play with 2 overgrips rather than the original grip and 1 overgrip. Because of this, and the fact that I always used head tape on the old racquets, the weighting is considerably different and I cannot play with these racquets. The feel is way off. I want to lead tape them up so that they play similar to the old racquets. I put the head tape on the top of the racquet and it feels much better, but I am still missing weight from the handle that I think would make it feel just like the old racquets.

I have never used lead tape and do not really know how to use it. If I want to make up for the lost weight in the handle, where and how would I apply the lead tape? To determine how much, I would also like to know the typical weight of an original grip and the weight of an overgrip so I can figure out about how much lead tape I need. Also, how could I make the racquet play as though the 2 strips of the clear gamma head tape are on the top of the racquet with lead tape? I assume I would put the lead tape in the very top of the racquet, but I just need to know about how much. When I used the head tape, I applied the 2 strips over the portion that a bumper guard usually covers. I want to use lead tape now instead since this racquet comes with a bumper guard and I do not want to replace the tape after every restring.

Last question is if all lead tapes are the same. If not, which one should I get? Thanks for anyone who can help me out.

lookitstrevor
01-31-2006, 06:47 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/increasegripsize/increasegrip.html

Both of these articles helped me raise my babolat PD from 1/4 to 3/8 and it feels perfect.

PBODY99
01-31-2006, 07:26 PM
I recently made the switch from the Estusa Power Beam Pro to the Estusa Power Beam Braided. The racquets are supposed to be very similar. However, the grip size is bigger on the new racquets even though it was supposed to be the same. In order to have the grip feel right I now play with 2 overgrips rather than the original grip and 1 overgrip. Because of this, and the fact that I always used head tape on the old racquets, the weighting is considerably different and I cannot play with these racquets. The feel is way off. I want to lead tape them up so that they play similar to the old racquets. I put the head tape on the top of the racquet and it feels much better, but I am still missing weight from the handle that I think would make it feel just like the old racquets.

I have never used lead tape and do not really know how to use it. If I want to make up for the lost weight in the handle, where and how would I apply the lead tape? To determine how much, I would also like to know the typical weight of an original grip and the weight of an overgrip so I can figure out about how much lead tape I need. Also, how could I make the racquet play as though the 2 strips of the clear gamma head tape are on the top of the racquet with lead tape? I assume I would put the lead tape in the very top of the racquet, but I just need to know about how much. When I used the head tape, I applied the 2 strips over the portion that a bumper guard usually covers. I want to use lead tape now instead since this racquet comes with a bumper guard and I do not want to replace the tape after every restring.

Last question is if all lead tapes are the same. If not, which one should I get? Thanks for anyone who can help me out.

You need to find the balance point of the frame you are trying to match. The grip size may not be the only issuse. The lelad tape you will need to apply and the location will depend if you need to incrase the Headlightness< more wt in the Handle> or headheavy< you would add weight inside the hoop at the top>.

That said, it may be time to find a USRSA stringer or someone who does racktet macthing if you don't feel handy.:cool:
Good luck.

Steve Dykstra
02-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys, it seems like doing these sort of things are pretty involved. Does anyone know anyone who will perform this sort of service in upstate NY?

Marius_Hancu
02-02-2006, 09:27 AM
r p n y t e n n i s.com
in NYC

upstate NY? hm ...