PDA

View Full Version : around the world vs. 2 piece

Squid
01-31-2006, 08:06 PM
which is better? around the world stringing or two piece stringing?

Gaines Hillix
02-01-2006, 06:26 AM
There's no one answer to this question. If you ask Head what their official position is they'll say two piece and if you do one of their frames whose mains end at the throat one piece ATW they'll tell you they won't honor the warranty. Yonex racquets with the isometric head shape are the same way. However, I wouldn't hesitate to string my own frames ATW. Some ATW patterns, such as the 3X3 or JCS pattern are supposed to balance the stress across the frame better than any other. There are fewer knots and this is an advantage when people don't want 4 knots on their frames(some believe this increases the chance of string breakage). However, when it's a customers frame and the pattern calls for two piece stringing that's what I'd use unless specifically asked not too and so far that hasn't happened.

Steve Huff
02-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Agree with Gaines. If it's still under warranty and it calls for a 2-piece (Head, Yonex), I'd use 2-piece. If it was my own racket, not under warranty, and I wasn't doing a hybrid, I'd string ATW.

yourserve
02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
i need more practice with the one piece. i hate having to deal with all that
extra string.

Steve Huff
02-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Try prestringing the mains. That will get some of it out of the way.

GrahamIsSuper
02-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Ugh, 2 piece is great occasionally, unless of course you are talking about the lm prestige mid. I would rather 0 piece that than anything else. 2 piece on that thing is the devil. It is also gets intense 2 piecing the wilson skunk. Other than that, I make it a point to string everyone's 2-piece out of ease.

yourserve
02-02-2006, 04:22 AM
thanks for the suggestion steve, i will try that.

Rabbit
02-02-2006, 09:14 AM
i need more practice with the one piece. i hate having to deal with all that
extra string.

I was and still am totally the opposite. I used to hate to do two piece jobs. I didn't like fooling with starting knots and tying four knots. I've had guys swear up and down that two-piece stringing gives more accurate tension, but I don't buy it.

IMO, stringing is another reason to use Volkl. All of their frames are laid out so you can string them one piece from top to bottom without doing an ATW.

Two Fister
02-02-2006, 01:21 PM
IMO, stringing is another reason to use Volkl. All of their frames are laid out so you can string them one piece from top to bottom without doing an ATW.

On my Volkl DNX 10, the mains END at the throat, so the above statement is not (or no longer) true.

My demo came from TW with one-piece stringing.

I string it two-piece as recommended by volkl.

Steve Huff
02-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Also, with your long string, if you do an ATW pattern, you might want to weave that last cross BEFORE you block that hole. That hole is a bear to get through after the 8th main has gone in.

Rabbit
02-03-2006, 04:57 AM
On my Volkl DNX 10, the mains END at the throat, so the above statement is not (or no longer) true.

My demo came from TW with one-piece stringing.

I string it two-piece as recommended by volkl.

Oooops....you're right!

Isn't that just the way.....just when you think you've got it down....they change everything on you.

I haven't seen a DNX 10, but the 18X20 pattern would pretty much guarantee it. My bad.

yourserve
02-03-2006, 05:00 AM
i have an 03 silver to string tonight. 41 feet of string should be fun to start
off with. also my first time with the O ports. oh well, part of the learning
curve.

ATXtennisaddict
02-03-2006, 05:34 AM
someone help this newbie out with some questions.

ATW = one piece right?

You all keep mentioning finding it hard to deal with 40 feet of string. With 2 piece, you all pre-measure and pre-cut the string? How long for crosses and mains on average?

Stan
02-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Mains 20/21 ave.

Crosses 18/20 ave.

ATXtennisaddict
02-03-2006, 07:04 AM
20/20 split would be good then?

yourserve
02-03-2006, 07:43 AM
20/20 split would be good then?

yes, on most frames. it is a good idea to get the pattern from one of
the sites that supplies that info before you start on a frame that you
have not strung before.
this is where i usually check http://www.klipperusa.com/stringing/manufacturers.php