PDA

View Full Version : which gosen string?

tennis24/7
01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
i've tried gosen og sheep micro 17 (the generic version) and liked it very much. i'm looking for a string with a little more power, resilience, and control (a better overall string). i would like to try a higher line gosen string. out of these four: micro super, gosen jim courier, super tec pro, or super tec speed; which do you recommend i try? any input would be appreciated.
thank you

diredesire
02-01-2006, 01:02 AM
i've tried gosen og sheep micro 17 (the generic version) and liked it very much. i'm looking for a string with a little more power, resilience, and control (a better overall string). i would like to try a higher line gosen string. out of these three: gosen jim courier, super tec pro, or super tec speed; which do you recommend i try? any input would be appreciated.
thank you

The non generic version sounds like what you're looking for ;)

The JC is a crisper version of the normal micro. TRY THE NORMAL MICRO. It's a great string to base your opinions of other strings on :)

Stan
02-01-2006, 03:27 AM

Agreed with Diredesire. The non-generic version of the OG Sheep may fit the bill for you.

tennis24/7
02-01-2006, 06:51 AM

The JC is a crisper version of the normal micro. TRY THE NORMAL MICRO. It's a great string to base your opinions of other strings on :)

is the generic version (29.99 for 660') not the exact same as the normal micro? on tenniswarehouse it states it's the same og sheep micro string without the name printed on the string. is there a difference?

any other suggestions would be appreciated

Stan
02-01-2006, 07:04 AM
It actually states "same quality" which is marketing speak meaning "it's similar." They never actually state it is the "exact same string," nor can they, because it is not. If it were the same the name would be imprinted on the string. The generic is a bit stiffer and a little less powerful. One could argue the TW description on this item is a bit deceptive...though cleverly written.

diredesire
02-01-2006, 08:26 AM
is the generic version (29.99 for 660') not the exact same as the normal micro? on tenniswarehouse it states it's the same og sheep micro string without the name printed on the string. is there a difference?

any other suggestions would be appreciated

"same quality" could also mean... "made in the same factory" or something. :P

I agree with stan. A bit stiffer, and less resilient. It's not a bad string by any means, but i found the non-generic OG-sheep a better string in all categories. I imagine it should be, being 2x as much.

tennis24/7
02-01-2006, 04:09 PM
thanks for clarifying that. i will give it a try and perhaps another one of the four gosens strings i chosen, any recommendations on those four?
thanks

bcaz
02-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I've asked this question a couple of times without an answer but I'll ask again: Can anyone comment on the difference, if any, between OG Sheep Micro and OG Sheep SUPER Micro? Super is about a buck more, but still cheap. I like it but I haven't tried non-super OG Micro. Anybody?

Two Fister
02-01-2006, 09:32 PM
It actually states "same quality" which is marketing speak meaning "it's similar." They never actually state it is the "exact same string," nor can they, because it is not. If it were the same the name would be imprinted on the string. The generic is a bit stiffer and a little less powerful. One could argue the TW description on this item is a bit deceptive...though cleverly written.

When you look at the detailed description on the TW page it says:

"Gosen's traditional synthetic gut with good all around performance. Consistent playing string for all seasons and any weather conditions.

This is the same string as standard OG Sheep Micro 17g. but without the name printed on the actual string. A great value!"

So here it says it is the SAME STRING as OG Sheep Micro.

Stan
02-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Okay. No arguments on what TW says. But while in the same family it is definitely NOT the same string.

kinsella
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I find the OG Super worth the small additional price. More power, reslience and just a better string. Looks identical, but is not.

PM_
02-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Polyon and OG Micro-best bang for the buck!

bcaz
02-02-2006, 09:29 PM
kinsella, thanks for responding, man -- I think the super micro is a fantastic value but never had any information how it was different or better than regular og sheep micro. I hope we get other comments. By the way, can anyone come up with a sillier brand name for a string (or anything) than Gosen OG Sheep Super Micro? wtf?

meh
02-02-2006, 09:37 PM
kinsella, thanks for responding, man -- I think the super micro is a fantastic value but never had any information how it was different or better than regular og sheep micro. I hope we get other comments. By the way, can anyone come up with a sillier brand name for a string (or anything) than Gosen OG Sheep Super Micro? wtf?
Super is a softer string, and more resilient.

And no, Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super is not a silly name, it's awesomely fobby and reflects the company's Japanese heritage ;)

Stan
02-03-2006, 04:54 AM
The OG Sheep Micro Super depends on the gauge. According to the USRSA here's the stiffness ratings for the following strings:

Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 17 - 193
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 - 199

Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16 - 204
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 - 203

Craig Sheppard
02-03-2006, 06:06 AM
i've tried gosen og sheep micro 17 (the generic version) and liked it very much. i'm looking for a string with a little more power, resilience, and control (a better overall string). i would like to try a higher line gosen string. out of these four: micro super, gosen jim courier, super tec pro, or super tec speed; which do you recommend i try? any input would be appreciated.
thank you

I've had good luck with the SuperTec AK Pro string. Good playability, certainly a more comfortable string than regular OG Micro. I wouldn't call it a soft string though. Just decent all around string that I think is a step up from regular OG Micro.

CheapStrings
02-04-2006, 03:33 PM
i would like to try a higher line gosen string. out of these four: micro super, gosen jim courier, super tec pro, or super tec speed;
It's not one of your four but Gosen's newest poly, Polylon SP, got a good review from RSI. http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200509/gosen_polylon_sp.html

What impressed me is that a number of Wilson Sensation and NXT users liked it. If you buy a reel it's a little over $3.00 per set. I'll probably get a reel next time I put in an order.