PDA

View Full Version : help on changing my racquet...

rj_md
01-31-2006, 08:53 PM
first thing, i wish i knew of this site sooner before buying a wilson ncode 6.1 90. i've just started playing regular tennis (4-5 times a week) for the past six months using this racquet. i chose this one primarily because it had a small head area (since i tried a Head OS racquet first and it didn't really work for me). how good am i?...obviously not so good...but i guess good enough for my trainer to ask me to give the next upcoming tournament at my club a shot. i could say i had the hardest time when i started, but am getting the hang of it. it's just that i could definitely say i'm not as strong/ready for the racquet, and would probably get better game with a lighter, mid-sized racquet. any suggestions?!?:) i was thinking of getting a babolat PD or AeroPro...any help on the matter would be great!:cool: Thanks!!!!!:D

andyroddick's mojo
01-31-2006, 10:23 PM
dude, everyone says the nsixone tour 90 is one of the HARDEST rackets to use. The TW review says so, and thats why not many pros use it on your, except of course for the one and only federer. I have a friend who plays with it, and likes the weight, so its different for different people. I say, only consider switching rackets if you don't like the feel or some other property isn't good for you, but if your only concern is the weight, and you're a junior i suggest keeping it, and start working out to build strength, cuz it'll give you more power later on. If you're an adult, who just doesn't want to hold a heavy racket all the time, you can still work out if you want to, but having a lighter racket will give you more swing speed, and more movement at net which is important. It all just depends how strong you are, and if you want the properties of a lighter racket over a heavier racket.

rj_md
02-01-2006, 06:05 AM
thanks a lot for the tips andyroddick's mojo!:) i agree i, really need to work out some more (im on the heavy side). its just that i never really demoed/used any other racquet & just picked the ncode 6.1 out of the shelf (partly coz it was on sale)...my trainer then just wanted me to work with what i had at that time. its only now, since i feel i know more about the game, that im thinking that my racquet may not be the right one for me. since u brought it up, my other concerns would be not getting enough spin, not having enough power on servíce returns, and am havng a hard time with my volleys. would a more "forgiving" racquet help?...any other insights & suggestions will be greatly appreciated. again, thanks for the advice dude! :)

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 07:10 AM
I haven't played with the ncode 6.1 90, but I am using ProStaff Tour 90 (as well as 6.0 85).

It provides very good topspin from the back and very good serving, including kicks.

I find it's less stable on vollesy than the 6.0 85, but otherwise it's a very good racquet.

I'd recommend:

Use more the mass of the racquet in a ballistic way, check the "educated wrist release" in Tips.

Work on your timing and movement.

That's where your power should be, not in your muscles. OK, for your muscles, theck the Health forum and my posting on surgical tubing exercises (in "elbow" and "shoulder" threads).

oldguysrule
02-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Go lighter, 11.3oz (give or take a little), headlight, midplus headsize, and swingweight in the 310-325 range. You will generate more racquet head speed for more spin (if your technique is right), you will have an easier time with returns and volleys because of the larger headsize and more manueverability, and you will hit with more pace and control because of the larger hitting area. Both of the babolats you mentioned would fit as well as a number of other racquets. Demo as many as you can before you invest in your next racquet.

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 07:12 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 07:14 AM
also, check the Sticky (topmost thread here)
for postings on technique
you must work on it

rj_md
02-01-2006, 08:24 PM
to marius and oldguysrule, thanks a lot for all the help!;) marius, i'll definitely check on the liks you gave me, i'm sure i'd get a lot from them. oldguysrule, i will start demoing several racquets next week, just to see if i find something that will work for me better. thanks again! :cool:

Marius_Hancu
02-02-2006, 07:06 AM
also, check the Sticky (topmost thread here)
for postings on technique
you must work on it

should have said in the Tips forum

jonolau
02-02-2006, 07:38 AM
If you want something that can give you sufficient power with great control, good feel and comfort, I would suggest that you give the Volkl 10 series a demo. Start with the C10 Pro.

theazneyes
02-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Wow, for someone whose just started playing tennis, a 90 in frame isn't a great place to start.

You should go ahead and try the 95" version. But if you want a much lighter, bigger head frame racquet, go for the Pure drive. They're great racquets that are more stable than other low 11 oz racquets, and have one of the better all round feel.

But I'd try out the 95 version of the n6.1, since you've already tried the 90. Also consider the LM Radical, also a good racquet. I use it.

matchpoint54
02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
I'd try out an RDX 500 Mid or a Prestige.

rj_md
02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Jonolau, theanreyes, and matchpoint54...thanks guys!:D i'll be researching on those racquets as soon as i log off. or better, i'll propbably go check them out at the shop. thanks a lot people! you all been great help. :cool:

any more suggestions or tips woulod be great...:p

jonolau
02-04-2006, 12:37 AM
No worries. Good luck with your demos and just ask if you need more detailed help.