PDA

View Full Version : What tension to use Polyester string as main?

Pui
01-31-2006, 11:46 PM
I've founded some different information about the tension of polyester string (such as Pro Hurricane, BB Alu Power) used as the main string.
In TW, recommend to increase the tension of the main: Polyester string above the cross 2-4 lbs. But in Babolat's website suggest increase the tension of the cross string above the main: Polyester string.

http://www.babolat.com/hybrid/index.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html

Which is correct?

smittysan89
02-01-2006, 05:34 AM
I would suggest lowering it a little bit , but I use my poly mains at 62 lbs and my syn gut crosses at 60 lbs, but then again stiff string beds dont bother me.

Gaines Hillix
02-01-2006, 06:12 AM
IMO, if you increase the tension on a poly it's going to feel like a board even with the high initial tension loss. I recommend dropping it by 5-10% depending on how you like you normal stringbed to feel. I like a fairly firm feeling string bed to begin with so I only drop it by 5%.

djones
02-01-2006, 06:35 AM
It doesn't make much of a difference how tight you string the mains!
I've had poly strung at 25 and 21 kilos in the mains, and you can't really tell the difference.
It's the crosses that matter!

Ripper
02-01-2006, 08:15 AM
He's asking if he should decrease or increase the tension of the mains IN RELATION TO THE CROSSES... I'll tell you what I've been doing lately when hybriding poly with syn. gut. I figure out an all around tension that'll give me the feel (level of comfort, power, stiffness, etc.) I'm aiming for. In other words, same tension for crosses and mains. That has been my answer to all the confusing and contradicting info.

coach
02-04-2006, 09:12 PM
IMO, if you increase the tension on a poly it's going to feel like a board even with the high initial tension loss. I recommend dropping it by 5-10% depending on how you like you normal stringbed to feel. I like a fairly firm feeling string bed to begin with so I only drop it by 5%.
do you drop the tension on ALL polys? I noticed that Ashaway Monogut package says 10-15% but other low cost polys like Tecnifibre Polyspin, and Prince Polygut don't say anything on their packaging about lowering the tension.

SteveI
02-05-2006, 02:06 AM
do you drop the tension on ALL polys? I noticed that Ashaway Monogut package says 10-15% but other low cost polys like Tecnifibre Polyspin, and Prince Polygut don't say anything on their packaging about lowering the tension.

Hi,

Since I like a firm stringbed and this seems to be all about feel and comfort, I string my Polylon Ice 17 at my normal tension and drop the crosses a few lbs to help open up the sweetspot a bit. So.. I guess I am raising the mains a few lbs in relation to the crosses. The string bed feels very firm in the beginning but then settles in nice. In most cases, after that I will start to feel the tension loss/loss of control and re-string.

Regards,
Steve