PDA

View Full Version : Lux ALU BB vs Ultimate Big Hitter vs Signum PPP

EsteroTennis
02-01-2006, 04:32 AM
I've been playing with Luxilon ALU Big Banger for the last couple of years and recently switched over to UNIQUE Big Hitter after doing MANY test comparisons. I decided to test BIG HITTER after reading so many postive posts in this forum....all were true ! IMO, BIG HITTER plays just as well as BIG BANGER and has the added qualites of more feel and comfort.

Now, I'm thinking about doing a test comparison of SIGNUM PPP to see how this string differs from both Big Banger and Big Hitter.

I'd be interested in hearing what some others think about the differences between these three strings........

Stan
02-01-2006, 06:56 AM
I think you are referring to the Unique Tourna Poly Big Hitter, correct? I am not aware of a string company called "Ultimate" though from a marketing standpoint you would think it to be a great name. :-)

The Signum Pro Poly Plasma will play softer/more comfortable than the Big Hitter and ALU. It is not as powerful, but is pretty responsive. It holds tension and playability longer. The Signum Pro PolyMegaforce and Topspin Cyber Flash are newer polys that approach the stiffer feel of the Big Hitter and ALU but hold tension much better.

EsteroTennis
02-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Yes, I was referring to UNIQUE BIG HITTER....I'll correct that on my original post.

I haven't heard much about the "newer" SIGNUM strings....all the buzz seems to be about the PRO POLY PLASMA ?

mark rodgers
02-01-2006, 10:53 AM
IMO you need to try the Signum Pro Poly Megaforce before the Pro Poly Plasma. If you like ALU Power and Big Hitter, I think you'll like the Megaforce better.

racingdad23
02-01-2006, 06:50 PM
After over 20 hours of play I finally popped my strings today with a mis-hit frame shot with my Pro Poly Plasma/Polystar Energy hybrid setup. Ther Plasma mains still look as good as the first day I used them, it was the Energy crosses that broke. I've been wanting to try the Megaforce strings so going to cut it all out tonight and restring it back up this time with
Megaforce mains and Energy crosses. It sure is nice to not have to restring after only 5-6 hours of play! Im hoping the Megaforce strings are as good as the Plasma has been.

EsteroTennis
02-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I like the BIG HITTER more than the BIG BANGER because I think it has more feel (comfort).
I can volley and change pace alot better w/the BIG HITTER.

Regarding the SIGNUM strings:

I'll have to call in for some MEGAFORCE........just ordered some PLASMA earlier this week
and hoping to have it for the weekend to compare to the UNIQUE BIG HITTER.

What are the main differences between the MEGAFORCE and PPP ?
From what I've read.....it seems that the PPP would be more like the BIG HITTER
and the MEGAFORCE would be more like ALU BIG BANGER ?

man-walking
02-02-2006, 02:40 PM
About PP no surely, PP should be the 'copy' of BB Original, that is, retalively to ALU: less crisper/responsive (or more dead), more elastic but less powerful because of the deader response.

Megaforce instead aims for a crisper ALU-like response.

Midlife crisis
02-02-2006, 04:40 PM
What are the main differences between the MEGAFORCE and PPP ?

Megaforce is a bit stiffer string, PPP offers more comfort. Both are very good at tension holding.

EsteroTennis
02-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I should have the SIGNMUM PPP arriving soon........looking fwd to trying it out !

Looks like TW doesn't sell sets of MEGAFORCE (only reels) ? Any tips where I can find a set of MEGAFORCE to try out.......

maconick
02-03-2006, 08:22 PM
i bought my megaforce from tennis string man.com/

maconick
02-03-2006, 08:40 PM
i have tried every big banger imitation out there and i believe the best string out there is polystar energy 1.20 used by davydenko heres the link
http://***************.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18

racingdad23
02-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Played with the Megaforce today for about 30 minutes. It was definitely stiffer but the Plasma was pretty stiff the first couple of times I played with it also. The Plasma didnt really grow on me until the second and third time I played with it (and the more I played with it the more I liked it each day). Serve was off a little but still managable. That may have been due to the strong wind gusts also. I'm looking forward to this weekend (weather permitting) when I'll have a good chance to break it in properly.

Midlife crisis
02-03-2006, 09:29 PM
I should have the SIGNMUM PPP arriving soon........looking fwd to trying it out !

Looks like TW doesn't sell sets of MEGAFORCE (only reels) ? Any tips where I can find a set of MEGAFORCE to try out.......

I bought my sets of Megaforce from TW a few months back. Maybe you can ask them if they'll carry them again in individual sets.

EsteroTennis
02-05-2006, 03:58 AM
The Plasma didnt really grow on me until the second and third time I played with it (and the more I played with it the more I liked it each day).

That is exactly the way I feel about the UNIQUE BIG HITTER.....the string felt better after a few hits.

Let us know if the MEGAFORCE feels better after a few hits with it....I guess these poly's need time to "set" in ?

156MPHserve
02-06-2006, 03:38 PM
That is exactly the way I feel about the UNIQUE BIG HITTER.....the string felt better after a few hits.

Let us know if the MEGAFORCE feels better after a few hits with it....I guess these poly's need time to "set" in ?

I remember Pete's stringer said something about how, if you feel that you play best just before your string is about to snap, you're stringing too tightly. Nowadays, its like a contest of who strings the highest.

It's fine by me if you think its more macho to string higher, but when I string it RIGHT and whoop you on the court, I believe I'm much more macho then. :cool:

mkevb1
02-17-2006, 07:05 PM
when you guys are talking about these strings, are you stringing them in hybrids or full jobs?

Midlife crisis
02-17-2006, 10:53 PM
when you guys are talking about these strings, are you stringing them in hybrids or full jobs?

I use a full stringjob of SPPP.

man-walking
02-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I remember Pete's stringer said something about how, if you feel that you play best just before your string is about to snap, you're stringing too tightly.
Yes, I have had that experience sometimes but usually stringing looser only worsen the string feel/playability.
So I'd say another way is "you may consider to prestretch it..." ;)