PDA

View Full Version : Does the MP Tour-5 play similar to the RDX500MP and do they flex in a similar way?

Ripper
02-01-2006, 07:44 AM
I own a pair of RDX500MPs and am very happy with them, reason for which I might be getting another pair (before they get discontinued). Never demoed the MP Tour-5, but am very curious about them, because of the very similar specs. to the RDX500MP and because of the great price they are selling for, at this moment. I'm wondering if the MP Tour-5 plays similar to the RDX500MP. The thing that makes me doubt is the way the RDX500MP is designed to flex at the throat. Not sure if the MP Tour-5 flexes in the same way. So, those of you who have experimented both...

... do they play similar?

... and do they flex in a similar way?

Guess if you answer "no" to one of these questions, it should be "no" for the other one, too (and vice versa).

Note that I'm not asking which one plays better than the other, because I know that's, pretty much, a subjective opinion.

backcourt
02-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Each racquet feels quite a bit different. IMO the 500 mp is a better all around stick. I owned a Tour 5 for awhile and currently have a 500 MP in my bag, but still continue to play with with my MP 3i's because I can serve better with them and they have a bit more pop. The Tour 5 is a nice stick, very flexible, more so than the RDX, and very good for spinning the ball, just like the 5000MP. Despite it being more flexible, I find the 500 MP to be a more comfortable racquet with a larger sweetspot and a more consistent stringbed. I believe, like the 3i, the Tour 5 has a hot spot in the sweet spot from where the ball really takes off. maybe its the muscle power gromets. The big advantage to the Tour 5 IMO is the serve, which you can really nail with this stick, probably because of the extra 1/2 inch. Otherwise, I didn't care for the xtra length. If you're looking for xtra power on your serve, the Tour 5 is worth taking a look at.

buder
02-01-2006, 08:50 AM
without lead, the Tour -5 has a truly small sweetspot and the upper hoop is completely dead. Light frames that are superheadlight tend not to have enough mass around the stringbed.

Having said that, if you add some lead -- there are many posts about it -- the frame plays great. I don't mind it in stock form either; I appreciate the feedback . . . but with lead it approaches the stabiltiy of the RDX.

Swingman
02-01-2006, 09:35 AM
I had a chance to play with both the other night. Note that the RDX 500 MP was the stick I used this past summer season and have been playing with the MP5 since November or so. Also note that my MP5 is weighted to 12oz. They do not play similarly IMO. The primary differences are in the balance and flex of the racquets. The RDX is stiffer and more evenly balanced. The RDX is more powerful for all strokes except serves - the extra length helps the MP5. I have better control with the MP5 - the string bed is more consistent IMO. I think spin is good on both but more penetrating with the RDX. Volleys are equal in my opinion - the RDX feels less manueverable at net but the power adds some stick to the volleys. As a point of reference I strung my RDX at 59 lb and string my Mp5 at 57 (both with Yonex Super 850). I would go down to about 54 or 55 on the MP5 to get closer to the power of the RDX. I think it depends on your style. I think the MP5 suits an aggressive all courter while the RDX favors a baseliner. I had control issues with the RDX500MP but I have to work a little too hard with the MP5. I would advise against getting the MP5s as backups for you RDXs - they are too different. I would just by a few used ones.

Zverev
02-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Could I ask you guys for some help here, coz I am about to give up on my Tour 5. Could you advise on string/ tension setup and the weight you have added to it, please.
Mine is already 12.8oz (from original 11.8 ) (to get more stability in the upper hoop) strung with Pro Plasma in mains at 58 over Gosen Super at 57 in crosses. It seems like the power is low but the ball flies all of a sudden, and the hoop stability in not even near my other racquet, PS 7.1.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.
P.S. Would someone happen to know how to cut a bit of butt from this racquet?

monologuist
02-01-2006, 02:00 PM
The Tour-5 feels stiffer to me than the RDX-500...or maybe crisper? It's been suggested that the Muscle Power grommets are responsible for this..I personally much prefer the feel over the RDX-500, which feels too vague and mushy to me. My Tour-5's are leaded up to be similar in weight and balance as the RDX-500, and after doing so, they are clearly more powerful on all shots. That said, the Tour-5 seems to play best strung at 55-58 lbs..not sure bout the RDX. The Tour-5 seems to flex a lot in the throat area....the hoop feels stiffer than the RDX. THe Tour-5 also feels lower-profile...in terms of the beam...the RDX is somewhat chunky in the beam. So the Tour-5 to me cuts through the air faster and easier, somewhat negating the difference in length, in terms of maneuverability.

monologuist
02-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Could I ask you guys for some help here, coz I am about to give up on my Tour 5. Could you advise on string/ tension setup and the weight you have added to it, please.
Mine is already 12.8oz (from original 11.8 ) (to get more stability in the upper hoop) strung with Pro Plasma in mains at 58 over Gosen Super at 57 in crosses. It seems like the power is low but the ball flies all of a sudden, and the hoop stability in not even near my other racquet, PS 7.1.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.
P.S. Would someone happen to know how to cut a bit of butt from this racquet?

NOt sure what you mean that the power iss low but the ball flies suddenly....I am guessing that the "dwell time" is not sufficient to you...you may want to try a softer string. I know that particularly on slices, the Tour-5 can pop the ball up a little with a stiff string. I'd recommend trying a multifilament like Yonex Tour Super 850 in it. What lead configuration do you have on it exactly? IF you add too much lead, you might not be hgetting enough racquet-head speed...which means less spin, which means balls flying. I tried a similar string set-up to what you have and did not like it on the Tour-5. However Signum Plasma 17 in the mains/Natural Gut 17 in the crosses was wonderful...the gut crosses make all the difference, despite what some people might say...

BjornBorg
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
I've used both rackets. The R Q7 is clearly superior to both. It is more powerful than the MP-5 and just as maneuverable. It clearly serves better and is even better for topspin than the 500RDX MP. Probably the best Yonex racket ever made, in my opinion.

It can easily be customized to be brought up to 11.5 if you need that weight.

Zverev
02-01-2006, 03:05 PM
NOt sure what you mean that the power iss low but the ball flies suddenly....I am guessing that the "dwell time" is not sufficient to you...you may want to try a softer string. I know that particularly on slices, the Tour-5 can pop the ball up a little with a stiff string. I'd recommend trying a multifilament like Yonex Tour Super 850 in it. What lead configuration do you have on it exactly? IF you add too much lead, you might not be hgetting enough racquet-head speed...which means less spin, which means balls flying. I tried a similar string set-up to what you have and did not like it on the Tour-5. However Signum Plasma 17 in the mains/Natural Gut 17 in the crosses was wonderful...the gut crosses make all the difference, despite what some people might say...
Monologuist, your comments somehow sum up what is going on in my inflamed with disappointment brain.
When I first got Tour 5 it was strung with Sensation and it wasn't bad but felt like a bit too powerful. So I decided to go for a bit less powerful string which was Perfection control with Gosen Super. The power wasn't reduced at all from the new setup and Perfection control moved like crazy. I cut it out and installed Pro Plasma with same Gosen Super. Strings stopped to move but overall feel didn't change much. What I mean by conflicting power feel is that if I spin the ball in court it doesn't seem to have power, but when I try to flatten it out a bit to have a bit faster ball, it flies on me.
So it means the racquet is very sensitive to the angle of racqet face.
Same time I am trying to reduce that unstable hoop feel by adding some lead.
I have lead from 11 to 9 in small patches (that's how I added it) arount 15 gramms (half a ounce ) in total. I have started from 11 and then gradually moved down, trying to increase torsional stability to achieve something similar feel to my PS 7.1 or 200g for that matter, which are stable like a rock.
I am very much on my weight limit now (12.8oz) and stability is much better now, but not like 200g yet. I cannot increase weight any more, as a matter of fact I would like to decrease it, at least by .3 oz.
That;s where the idea of cutting butt a little comes from.
I had suspicion that I might have moved in the wrong direction whith my choice of string (stiffer), but when I wanted to order 850 Tour TW didn't have it. So that's where I am at the moment. A bit disoriented. :-)

monologuist
02-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I've used both rackets. The R Q7 is clearly superior to both. It is more powerful than the MP-5 and just as maneuverable. It clearly serves better and is even better for topspin than the 500RDX MP. Probably the best Yonex racket ever made, in my opinion.

It can easily be customized to be brought up to 11.5 if you need that weight.

tried the RQ7.....thought it felt like a toy...might be good as a "tweener" for weaker players I guess...my buddy bought one and it broke after a light drop on the ground...definitely not up to the usual Yonex quality standard for their player's racquets...but this is usual for lightweight tweeners I guess. Tried it leaded up to about 11.7 oz. too...did not take the lead well..you have to add so much to get the thing feeling solid, that it ends up feeling like a dead log... Lightweight plus flexible equals not solid, no pop, and not-heavy ball...you can't get around physics.

but to each his own....

monologuist
02-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Monologuist, your comments somehow sum up what is going on in my inflamed with disappointment brain.
When I first got Tour 5 it was strung with Sensation and it wasn't bad but felt like a bit too powerful. So I decided to go for a bit less powerful string which was Perfection control with Gosen Super. The power wasn't reduced at all from the new setup and Perfection control moved like crazy. I cut it out and installed Pro Plasma with same Gosen Super. Strings stopped to move but overall feel didn't change much. What I mean by conflicting power feel is that if I spin the ball in court it doesn't seem to have power, but when I try to flatten it out a bit to have a bit faster ball, it flies on me.
So it means the racquet is very sensitive to the angle of racqet face.
Same time I am trying to reduce that unstable hoop feel by adding some lead.
I have lead from 11 to 9 in small patches (that's how I added it) arount 15 gramms (half a ounce ) in total. I have started from 11 and then gradually moved down, trying to increase torsional stability to achieve something similar feel to my PS 7.1 or 200g for that matter, which are stable like a rock.
I am very much on my weight limit now (12.8oz) and stability is much better now, but not like 200g yet. I cannot increase weight any more, as a matter of fact I would like to decrease it, at least by .3 oz.
That;s where the idea of cutting butt a little comes from.
I had suspicion that I might have moved in the wrong direction whith my choice of string (stiffer), but when I wanted to order 850 Tour TW didn't have it. So that's where I am at the moment. A bit disoriented. :-)

yes...it sounds like you are having difficulty adjusting to the reduced dwell time of the ball on the strings...I experienced this too when I was experimenting with polyester strings...A move to a softer string will help I think. However, you will sacrifice in terms of more string movement, there is nothing you can do about that. Sounds like you have a lot of lead on that thing. Personally, I have 3 grams at around 3 and 9 o'clock, and 3 grams at 12 o'clock. I find that the 3 grams at 12 is the crucial one. Then either 3 grams at 3 and 9, or 3 grams at 10 and 2, depending on how much power and swingweight you want. I think I even tried 3 grams at 3/9, 3 grams at 10/2, AND 3 grams at 12....super solid, but too much swingweight for me.

I never tried cutting mine down, but you could try....maybe .25" shorter? If you do this, you can have more lead on the hoop to stabilize it, but keep the swingweight lower (the .25" difference in length will drop the swingweight a good 10-15 points)...usually there are 2 routes to stability: adding length or adding mass to the hoop...the Tour-5 goes the length route...so cutting it down means you have to add more weight to the hoop. What kind of player are you? I think the Poly/gut hybrid is best for baseliners...I'd definitely use a softer string for all-court/slicing/net players.

by the way, have you tried either the Yonex Ti-70 98" or the Ti-80? I switched over to the Ti-70 from the Tour-5...more control, more feel, less spin...but discontinued. Ti-80 is almost the same...best Yonex in production IMO. The new RDS series is coming out soon too.

Zverev
02-01-2006, 03:56 PM
yes...it sounds like you are having difficulty adjusting to the reduced dwell time of the ball on the strings...I experienced this too when I was experimenting with polyester strings...A move to a softer string will help I think. However, you will sacrifice in terms of more string movement, there is nothing you can do about that. Sounds like you have a lot of lead on that thing. Personally, I have 3 grams at around 3 and 9 o'clock, and 3 grams at 12 o'clock. I find that the 3 grams at 12 is the crucial one. Then either 3 grams at 3 and 9, or 3 grams at 10 and 2, depending on how much power and swingweight you want. I think I even tried 3 grams at 3/9, 3 grams at 10/2, AND 3 grams at 12....super solid, but too much swingweight for me.

I never tried cutting mine down, but you could try....maybe .25" shorter? If you do this, you can have more lead on the hoop to stabilize it, but keep the swingweight lower (the .25" difference in length will drop the swingweight a good 10-15 points)...usually there are 2 routes to stability: adding length or adding mass to the hoop...the Tour-5 goes the length route...so cutting it down means you have to add more weight to the hoop. What kind of player are you? I think the Poly/gut hybrid is best for baseliners...I'd definitely use a softer string for all-court/slicing/net players.

by the way, have you tried either the Yonex Ti-70 98" or the Ti-80? I switched over to the Ti-70 from the Tour-5...more control, more feel, less spin...but discontinued. Ti-80 is almost the same...best Yonex in production IMO. The new RDS series is coming out soon too.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I might try to cut a bit, have to figure out how to do it.
I will try softer string anyway.
I am more of a baseliner at the moment but trying to venture to the net more and more, and working on volleys a lot trying to move to all court game.
Tour 5 is my first Yonex. Yeah, it feel like cutting would improve things, there is no way back though. :-)

Ripper
02-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Is (or was) the MP Tour-5 used by any pro (with or without a different pj on top)? Does anyone know? Sometimes, I find it a bit suspicious that pros wanted nothing to do with it.

JediMindTrick
02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your suggestions.
I might try to cut a bit, have to figure out how to do it.
I will try softer string anyway.
I am more of a baseliner at the moment but trying to venture to the net more and more, and working on volleys a lot trying to move to all court game.
Tour 5 is my first Yonex. Yeah, it feel like cutting would improve things, there is no way back though. :-)

It really sounds like the Tour 5 is a dead end for you. Maybe you should try the RDX 500 MP.