PDA

View Full Version : How much would the stringbed tension increase when installing stringsavers all over?

Ripper
02-01-2006, 07:21 AM
I searched and found an opinion of someone saying that it couldn't be more than two pounds. However, people who've done this claim that the stringbed stiffens up A LOT.

yourserve
02-01-2006, 10:36 AM
you would have to check tension before and after installation to get an
accurate reading. i just experimented with these last week in a gut racquet.
i was less than impressed with the feel.
i also think you could vary the tension by how many string savers you insert.
they could be used as a tool to try to change tensions on different strings
in the string bed.
i could see myself going crazy with all the options, so i took them out of
my racquet. best of luck to you if you try them, they are a cheap experiment.

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 10:48 AM
buy yourself a stringmeter, but it might be difficult to detect.

Steve Huff
02-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I've never seen them put all over the string bed, but when you put them in the sweetspot area, say an 8 x 8 square, the tension increase is very small, probably 1# or so. It might feel tighter than the actual increase though, as the strings wouldn't move as much.

Valjean
02-01-2006, 11:37 AM
As much as how many you put in, the tension (and feel) can vary for what material your savers are made from--plastic, for example, alters the stringbed significantly more than teflon.

P.S. The most frequently recommended pattern for installing those is a diamond; obviously, you can use any other one you want, too...

Tchocky
02-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh my god....this never occured to me. Of course, adding stringsavers will increase the tension of the stringbed. I'm not being sarcastic....thanks for pointing this out.

fishuuuuu
02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I searched and found an opinion of someone saying that it couldn't be more than two pounds. However, people who've done this claim that the stringbed stiffens up A LOT.

I don't know why you would waste the time and effort (and money) of applying savers to every string intersection ... but the tension increase is minimal ... I can't even feel the string-savers I used to use for the most part.

Ripper
02-02-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't know why you would waste the time and effort (and money) of applying savers to every string intersection ... but the tension increase is minimal ... I can't even feel the string-savers I used to use for the most part.

Three reasons come to mind:

1. Principle reason is to raise the strings. If you raise the strings, you raise the spin potential.

2. Another one would be to lower the power of a full gut job.

3. And yet another would be to make a full nat gut job last even more. Everyone knows it maintains it's playability longer than anything else, but what good is that if it's going to snap early? Talking about "early", if you use the string savers early, the strings should last still more than if you wait for them to fray before doing so.

I'm not saying I've done this. I'm planning on doing this experiment on my next full nat gut job. String savers are darn cheap. What can I loose?

Valjean
02-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Of course; if you won't feel a two lb. change in tension, then you won't notice a tension increase with string savers in. On the other hand, a change in feel due to reduced string movement may be harder to miss.

munk3y
02-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I think it actually depends on the type of string savers you put on.
I've tried two: the Wilson String savers (blue rubber bands) and the Gamma string savers (some plastic things...can't describe them). Anyway, the wilson string savers wrap around the strings, so the strings still touch each other. Therefore I don't think the Wilson string savers really make much of a difference if any at all. The Gamma string savers on the other hand do not wrap around the strings, but rather act as the physical connection point so that the strings do not touch. This increases the tension depending on how much you put on.

Stan
02-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Adding stringsavers does not increase the tension of the stringbed. The strings may move less, but the tension isn't changed. If anything it drops.

yourserve
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
stan, i will have to respectfully disagree with you. in theory it may not
change the tension on a stringmeter, but it sure does effect the
stiffness of the stringbed. the string is being forced to be longer, while
covering the same distance.
the more i run it thru my mind, i could see the opinion that you have...
but it sure did make my racquet feel like it had more tension.

Stan
02-02-2006, 12:42 PM
When you hit the ball without string savers, the strings move and then return to position (or somewhere reasonably close). When you apply string savers you are reducing, if not eliminating this movement. What you are feeling as a player is the strings holding without movement. The illusion for some may be that tension has increased, but it is an illusion. Tension has not increased, but the action/responsiveness of the stringbed has been altered. This is what you are experiencing.

yourserve
02-02-2006, 12:50 PM
i understand and respect your opinion. and i do now agree with some of
your statement. can we turn this over to mythbusters and let them
experiment in their lab? j/k you put a spin on this that i never would have
thought of. thanks

Ripper
02-03-2006, 10:15 AM

Three reasons come to mind:

1. Principle reason is to raise the strings. If you raise the strings, you raise the spin potential.

2. Another one would be to lower the power of a full gut job.

3. And yet another would be to make a full nat gut job last even more. Everyone knows it maintains it's playability longer than anything else, but what good is that if it's going to snap early? Talking about "early", if you use the string savers early, the strings should last still more than if you wait for them to fray before doing so.

I'm not saying I've done this. I'm planning on doing this experiment on my next full nat gut job. String savers are darn cheap. What can I loose?

A 4th (or a continuation of the 3rd) would be when you want to play with nat gut on clay.