PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Amelie donating her racquet!!!!!!

PM_
02-01-2006, 08:32 AM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatourauctions.com/

Amelie has put up her racquet for charity. This spells class for this all-around classy lady. To give away a piece of her first Grand Slam title is beyond words...

She's just great, aint' she?:cool:

vllockhart
02-01-2006, 08:36 AM

Amelie has put up her racquet for charity. This spells class for this all-around classy lady. To give away a piece of her first Grand Slam title is beyond words...

Gosh, you make it sound as if she's the only pro player to ever donate something to charity. It's a nice gesture, but let's keep it in perspective.

bc-05
02-01-2006, 08:37 AM
$1k?? pwoahh!

SteveI
02-01-2006, 08:38 AM

Hi,

She is quite a lady and a great role model for the game. Patrick Rafter.. I believe donated most of his 1st US Open Winner's check to a children's hospital back home.. heck what else did he need.. a motor bike and a hot GF.. his wife to be.. :-)

Regards,
Steve

Applez
02-01-2006, 08:40 AM

That's really wonderful

A class act indeed

legolas
02-01-2006, 08:44 AM
nice, but a lot of pros has done this, like coria and federer

Grimjack
02-01-2006, 09:19 AM
nice, but a lot of pros has done this, like coria and federer

A particularly moving gesture from Coria, since his grand slam titles have been so few and so far between.

Andres
02-01-2006, 09:33 AM
A particularly moving gesture from Coria, since his grand slam titles have been so few and so far between.

Hehehehe :mrgreen:

stevewcosta
02-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Big deal. Donating her check would warrant a "WOW". Not many people make millions in a couple weeks. It's good PR for her too.

SteveI
02-01-2006, 10:36 AM

Did he win one????? :-). I know he lost one..

Steve

Mr.Federer
02-01-2006, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's not really the frame she played with in the final.

quest01
02-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Are Dunlop racquets even any good?

pound cat
02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Don't get too excited...read the fine print. "This racquet was used during her title-winning 2006 Australian Open campaign"

It does not say the racket was used in the final...likely in one of her other winning matches that got her to the final. Sony Ericsson tournaments is sponsoring this, and I bet she kept the racket she had in her hand when Justine retired.

It's probably part of the WTA-Sony Ericsson sponsorship contract.

If it was auctioned on e-bay where bidders are pickier it would have a more detailed description...and potential bidders can ask questions.

Court_Jester
02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Are Dunlop racquets even any good?
It's not the racquet, per se, that fetches the price. It's the history associated with it. You don't expect to actually use that racquet in a match, do you?

agassifan7
02-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's not really the frame she played with in the final.

It probably isnt, someone bidding a grand on a racket from a hideous woman that had A LOT OF LUCK to win the tourney is obviouslt welthy to beign with, and has money to blow

jgunnink
02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
If it was from the final, it's a pretty good deal for the eventual buyer due to the minimal string wear.

Mr.Federer
02-01-2006, 02:53 PM
If it was from the final, it's a pretty good deal for the eventual buyer due to the minimal string wear.

That's a good one.

Docalex007
02-01-2006, 03:31 PM

Last time I checked, a $150 racket doesn't mean much to a pro - the publicity does, however.

I know, I'm such a horrible guy for always looking at things in this manner.

Viper
02-01-2006, 03:37 PM
It probably isnt, someone bidding a grand on a racket from a hideous woman that had A LOT OF LUCK to win the tourney is obviouslt welthy to beign with, and has money to blow

Is it just me or are the new users getting worse and worse.

Docalex007
02-01-2006, 03:40 PM
I think TW should close its borders for a while.

rlbjr
02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
It's not just you.

Doubtfull that this frame was used in the final. If it was, the auction would say so as that would increase interest and collector value. The auction states "campaign", a word chosen carefully. As for "the racket is only $150..." crap, players are as sentimental about their achievments as anyone. Ever notice how many touchdown balls are kept by football players? The racket she won her first GS title with no doubt has special value to her.

Slazenger
02-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Is it just me or are the new users getting worse and worse.

Most likely an existing user who created a new acct to flame Mauresmo. Let's not feed the troll.

PM_
02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Last time I checked, a $150 racket doesn't mean much to a pro - the publicity does, however.

I know, I'm such a horrible guy for always looking at things in this manner.
Last time I checked, when do you see football player throw the ball he scored his first TD with into the crowd, or a hockey player who leaves his first goal in the net, or someone winning his first major in golf sign and give away his clubs.
Get the picture?

Maybe she really DIDN'T use it in the finals, maybe it's a Dunlop straight off the shelf, maybe this maybe that who cares???
It's the gesture that counts.
This coming from someone who waited all these years to win her first GS title.

TennisDog
02-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Doesnt she get racquets free?

Backcourt Pickup
02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Usually the average pro (male) strings about 8 or so racquets for a grand slam match.

I don't know if women are the same, and break strings as quickly, but Mauresmo would have a lot of racquets at the Aussie Open, and it could be advertised as one of the racquets that she "used to win the Aussie Open" because technically, if she used it, then it did help in some way, even if it meant winning one point in her first round match.

Charity is charity, though. It's great to see more of that coming from the ATP and the WTA tours.

I think a bunch of other players auctioned off stuff later last year for the ACE foundation, right?

randomname
02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Doesnt she get racquets free?

the point isnt the value of the racquet, its the sentimental value that shes giving up

Deuce
02-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Why are people assuming that
A) it is the racquet she used in the final?
and
B) it has sentimental value to her?

I'm with Docalex here.

PM_
02-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Why are people assuming that
A) it is the racquet she used in the final?
and
B) it has sentimental value to her?

I'm with Docalex here.
Because unlike some apathetic people here, some of us have something called "good faith" and we believe.
Again, and why do I find myself repeating myself.

Read the article in case you haven't. I'll help you, it says:
"Fans and supporters can bid with confidence knowing that all items are genuine and that 100 percent of the final bid from each auction will equally benefit Habitat for Humanity, First Serve, Make-A-Wish Foundation® and Tennis Against Breast Cancer."

The fine print on the right-bottom corner reads:
"She used this racquet during her title-winning campaign..." Good enough?

To disbelive this you are challenging the integrity of the WTA and if you want to it's your prerogative. No one cares.

This thread is to commend Amelie for doing such a charitable thing and to take it for what it is.

Deuce
02-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I am taking it for what it is - and it's not much to me.

Half the time (or more), the players aren't even aware of these 'racquet donations' - they're handled by their agents or sponsors, etc. without the player's knowledge.

If you need a hero and want to 'congratulate' Mauresmo, go ahead - no-one's stopping you. But you need to know more about how life really works if you really want to direct your 'kudos' to the appropriate persons and places.