PDA

View Full Version : Is Nat. Gut REALLY more expensive?

Ripper
02-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Is a high quality nat. gut really more expensive than, say, a high quality multi? Let's compare a premium nat. gut that costs 35 bucks against a premium multi that costs 15 bucks. Ok and let's say that this nat gut retains it's playability/tension for 35 hours (of playing), while the multi retains it's playability/tension for 15 hours. Then, the real cost of these strings would be the same. Actually, nat. gut would be more convenient, because you would have to string less.

Is this how this works?

Edit: Of course, the above refers to a full nat. gut job versus a full multi job.

Craig Sheppard
02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I think a gut hybrid gets you more playability than a full multi job, you don't even need to compare full gut to full multi. Being that you can get a decent hybrid for the same cost of a top-end multi, the playability and durability unquestionably leans in favor of the gut hybrid. It's the best value all around.

Now you asked about full gut jobs... going on string cost only (since I string myself), you get a top end multi for $15-18, where as gut for around $25... the playability difference is through the roof. Durability is well worth the extra dough, IMO... you'll get longer life and more playability out of the gut.

I use a gut hybrid b/c it's the best of both worlds...

Dennis Chan
02-01-2006, 10:43 AM
I do not string my own rackets and each string job costs me $14 on labor alone. From my experience, a gut x poly hybrid is actually less expensive than a multi x poly hybrid.

Strings alone, my gut hybrid is about $16 and a multi hybrid would be $9. Add labor then the costs become $30 and $23 respectively. See the gut hybrid is only a few $$$ more but it lasts about twice as long, usually 20 hours before it breaks. So my average costs become $1.50/hr for the gut, and $2.30/hr for the multi. Also the multi loses playability sooner so my last few hours on it are really less worthy for the $$$.

Hope my point is clear. Of course if you string your own racket then it's a different calculation.

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Now you asked about full gut jobs... going on string cost only (since I string myself), you get a top end multi for $15-18, where as gut for around $25... the playability difference is through the roof.

I like this "through the roof." Yes, that's my calculation also.

yourserve
02-01-2006, 10:50 AM
after having played with gut i'm not sure you can put a price on how
easy it is on your arm. unless i have a real bad experience with gut
when the temps go up i'll never go back.

armand
02-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Is Nat. Gut REALLY more expensive? Not in my brief experience. I used NXT 16s for a long time but always had to cut them out long before they'd break because they'd lose tension, resiliency, feel etc.
So now I've been using a full gut job and it's been great for a good long time now. I would say gut has 4 times the life of a synthetic gut. Not to mention the better playing characteristics of spin, feel, power etc. BTW, I'm sort of a big hitter, but I'm not a string breaker.

PBODY99
02-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Is a high quality nat. gut really more expensive than, say, a high quality multi? Let's compare a premium nat. gut that costs 35 bucks against a premium multi that costs 15 bucks. Ok and let's say that this nat gut retains it's playability/tension for 35 hours (of playing), while the multi retains it's playability/tension for 15 hours. Then, the real cost of these strings would be the same. Actually, nat. gut would be more convenient, because you would have to string less.

Is this how this works?

Edit: Of course, the above refers to a full nat. gut job versus a full multi job.

For the non string breakers, gut is cheaper if they notice the lost of playability when nylon string hits its dead spot.
Many of my lower level players can't tell so they won't spend the diffference. For the group who use widebody sticks, their strokes won't let them contro a gut stringing so if they try it once and never go back.
For a string breaker such as myself, I have to string up a fresh snythetic frame every tourney or league match as 10 hours is just a little too brief for my investment since iI started using an extended lenght frame, even in my Volkl x-4 100" tweener.:sad:

bigserving
02-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Is a high quality nat. gut really more expensive than, say, a high quality multi?
Is this how this works?

I think that your concept is correct in an "all else being equal" scenario.

Most of us don't mind paying a little more for a string that plays better. For me, gut lasts a really long time and does not lose playability like nylon or polyester. Sometimes it even feels better after a month or two. For those reasons and for players like me, gut both plays better AND is cheaper.

For rookie gut users, the price can look scary. It can be expensive to string some $25 - $30 gut and have it break in short period of time. If someone can string it so that it plays well and lasts, it is the way to go.

kenyee
02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
ditto on whether you're a string breaker.
I'm not and end up leaving a gut job on for 2 yrs (once/wk play). Synthetic loses it's feel after 3 months for me...

louis netman
02-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm an arm sufferer: can't play poly, multi's & mono synth last less than an hour. Stringing takes too much time. Switched to gut hybrids 2 years ago. Lasts the longest, saves my arm, saves my time, plays well until it breaks (approx. 5-8 outings)...

bcaz
02-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Unless you break strings a lot, nat gut is the way to go, incomparable ... many good comments here in favor of hybrids using nat gut ... if you don't string your own sticks, I perfectly understand balking at coughing up 40-50 bucks or more for a string job when you spent maybe 2-3 times that on the racquet. But if it diesn't break and it lasts, you'll be ahead.

JediMindTrick
02-02-2006, 07:40 AM
I also think that natural gut is actually cheaper but most important it is much better than anything else. Contrary to popular belief even the best multis are not even close to nat. gut. I wasted a lot of money on many different multis but that's it for me, now I know what string is best. If I could also find the perfect racquet than maybe I would spend more time playing tennis and less time browsing this site and I would actually make some progress! Just kidding, this forum is great and trying other racquets is too much fun!:D

devilish_duke
02-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Gut isn't too expensive if you hybrid it and buy it from a site like TW. You can also get Babolat Tonic Nat Gut for example... a less expensive version of their highest end product. The only difference is that the gauge control isn't as stringent.

mctennis
02-05-2006, 05:15 AM
I agree with the theory that nutural gut is NOT as expensive as others think. It keeps it's tension close to what you string it at, doesn't lose tension until close to breaking, plays consistant without a huge breakin period and lasts longer than synthetic strings. I've switched to gut in my racquets and haven't looked back. I use to LOVE Bow brand because it was so reasonable. Now it's just as pricy as all the others. That is a shame because they could have switched so many more folks over to their companys gut string.