PDA

View Full Version : Federer's Focus

VolklVenom
02-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Federer said in an interview that the tornament he most wants is Wimby, but there is no doubt that "the French" really is the one he wants this year, more than anything else.
The Wimby comment indicates (to me anyway) that Roger is cagey about letting out his true intentions on how he feels.
What do others think?

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 12:29 PM
I really don't know why so many of you criticize Roger for saying he'd rather win Wimbledon than the French.
He's not caught up in this whole "greatest ever" bs that the media & fans are obsessed with. He's just trying to be the best he can be. I think he's a very honest guy, who values Wimbledon much more than the French Open(there are quite a few who feel the same-Borg & Sampras for example)
If you told Fed, you can have 6 Wimbledon titles & 0 French Open titles or 5 Wimbledons & 1 French, no doubt he would go for 6 wimbledons. It's the tournament he dreamed of winning all his life, not the French.

VolklVenom
02-01-2006, 12:36 PM
i bet Sampras really regrets never winning the French Open. It's the monkey he couldn't get off his back.
We want what we don't have.

Grimjack
02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Federer said in an interview that the tornament he most wants is Wimby, but there is no doubt that "the French" really is the one he wants this year, more than anything else.

I think it's so cool the way you used your psychic super powers to catch him in a lie.

pound cat
02-01-2006, 12:39 PM
The French is even more delicious for Roger because it's on clay...a court that requires a different skill set than the others and has been traditionally been dominated by clay courters. i will bet 1 million euros that he would more than williingly than take 1 French for another Wimbledon. In Rogers eyes, I think Wimbledom is a "been there, done that" many times tournament. Sure he would like another Wimbledon...but the French.... Ooh la la.

It's Safin's dream title as well. Another dream would be a Safin/Federer final. That would glue people to their screens.

VolklVenom
02-01-2006, 12:41 PM
...and for my next trick i will predict which direction he will hit the ball!:D

VolklVenom
02-01-2006, 12:44 PM
but seriously, it stands to reason he NEEDS the French badly. Get ready for a dog fight at Garros this year.

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 12:49 PM
No, you NEED the French, not Fed. Can't you understand, professional athletes don't think like obsessed fans? He's playing for himself not what guys on a tennis message board who never played professionally think.

I don't think Sampras has any regrets about the French either.

ferrari_827
02-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Let's get real.

I'm sure Sampras would have traded in a Wimbledon for a French, as would McEnroe, or even Connors (trading US Open).

You'll see how Roger reacts *if* he wins RG this year. Joy and excitement like we've never seen before. Forget this Australian Open. I can guarantee it.

RG has eluded McEnroe, Sampras, Connors, Becker, Edberg ? Think Roger wants it. You bet your life he does....

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Off course he wants it. But not more than Wimbledon. He's said it repeatedly, do you think he's a lier? have you heard how he talks about wimbledon? they way he weeps(granted this is becoming common at all slams) when he wins wimbledon?

Connors skipped the French for 5 years after they banned him in '74. He could give rat's *** about the French. Mac would not trade his wimbledons for the French, he talks in his book how Wimbledon is the most important title in the world. Sampras has said he wouldn't trade any of his wimbledons for a french.

You don't realize how much more important Wimbledon is compared to the French among many players in the history of the sport. The prestige is unmatched.

Heck, Lendl would probably give up all his French titles for a Wimbledon(and kinda said as much when he was playing)

ferrari_827
02-01-2006, 01:18 PM
I disagree.

A French Open title would vindicate Federer as the best *all-court* player ever. Not only in his mind, but tennis fans as well.

Federer's style is naturally good for grass/hard court, but Fed will have to use all his guile and shotmaking to win Roland Garros.

Tennis history will note the importance of Roger's French Open title, especially since it is absent from other champions (Sampras, McEnroe, Edberg, Becker).

In my mind, it will be the ultimate vindication of Roger's greatness as the all-court player.

pound cat
02-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I disagree.

A French Open title would vindicate Federer as the best *all-court* player ever. Not only in his mind, but tennis fans as well.

Federer's style is naturally good for grass/hard court, but Fed will have to use all his guile and shotmaking to win Roland Garros.

Tennis history will note the importance of Roger's French Open title, especially since it is absent from other champions (Sampras, McEnroe, Edberg, Becker).

In my mind, it will be the ultimate vindication of Roger's greatness as the all-court player.

Good post ...agree completely

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Fair enough, but do you think Roger really cares what tennis historians think? The guy says he values all tournaments(never puts down the minor events as 'lesser events')
He was 81-4 last year, which says to me he's the real deal. He really cares about all events.
I read a recent interview in which he chuckled over the constant greatest ever talk.
He said something like "people ask me constantly if I want to break this record or that & if I want to be the greatest ever. There isn't anytime to think like that. I'm most concerned about being physically & mentally ready for my next event. I just loving playing tennis, if I break records fine, if I don't, I'm still happy."

He seems like a very honest guy. I have no doubt that he wants Wimbledon more than the French. It may baffle you, but I think he's telling the truth. I don't think tennis fans should assume they know what he values more.

VolklVenom
02-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Moose, u say that McEnroe considered Wimby to be the most important title in his book.
True, but he also states in his book that he frequently suffers from nightmares and sleepless nights, to this day, about the French title he let slip away.

Warriorroger
02-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I believe that for him Wimbledon is the most special, maybe not most important. It's maybe the same feeling claycourters have for RG, but winning the AO opens up the possibility for Roger in winning the Grand Slam. If it will happen, it will happen this year. He has the talent, and everything. I do feel he's getting a bit weaker mentally, because of all the pressure, he has to guard for that. But who am I, I have never won a grand slam.

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah he regrets not winning that match, the '84 French Final. But do you think he'd trade any of his Wimbledon titles for a French? He's won 3 Wimbledons.
Somehow I don't think he'd like the sound of "2-time Wimbledon Champ John McEnroe"

pound cat
02-01-2006, 01:45 PM
No one knows what Roger thinks. But it would be foolish for Roger to be humble when every sports writer in the tennis world thinks he's the best thing since wooden rackets. I'm sure his life revolves around wanting to be known as the best tennis player in the world, and with his accomplishments , it would be absolutely stupid for him not to aim for this goal. And he's not stupid. Go for it Roger. That's if he doesn't have a nervous breakdown. The pressure on him by him must be unimaginable.

jings
02-01-2006, 11:15 PM
The nearest we'll get to knowing what he thinks is what he says, and for two years in a row he's said his first priority is to be #1 at the end of the year and then / to win Wimbledon. He's been asked about the French and he's said he would like to win it, but not at the expense of Wimbledon - were that choice there for him to make, which it isn't. Lest we forget in all the GS hype Fed is also the Halle and Wimbledon run this year away from beating Bjorn Borg's grass run which I think is probably up there with the untouchable records. Er... just like the GS finals run, all finals run, hard court run, etc that he's broken so far.

Now what is blindingly obvious to anyone who remotely follows the game is that with the AO '06 under his belt RG takes on a whole new dimension this year. It would give him the Roger Slam of holding all 4 titles and given his record at Wimbledon and US last couple of years a legitimate shot at THE GS. Would he like to achieve the GS - well that should be farily obvious. Would he take the Roger Slam and then miss out on Wimbledon and the grass court record ... my guess is that he'd take Wimbledon. He speaks in very reverential tones about the beauty and silence of playing on grass and there's no question it is his favourite slam, he's said that often enough. Either way we'll never really know.

urban
02-01-2006, 11:41 PM
It is indeed a problem. Like Sampras, Federer seems to have always Wimbledon in the back of his mind. If he plays a harder schedule on clay, to prepare for RG, maybe he fears, that it could affect his performance on grass. To play 4-5 clay tourneys before RG and then go deep at RG could be a gruelling test of stamina. Last year he said himself, that he was a bit tired at Halle and in the first week at Wimbledon, but there he had a good draw. He had a good drwa at RG, too, where only Gonzalez was dangerous before sf. Moya was injured, and Hanescu inexperienced.

kbg
02-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Federer has always said that his preparation for the French Open is just like any other Grand Slam. I do think that he wants to win it but at the same time I don't think that he'd drink himself into oblivion if he didn't win it; he'd probably just try his best, shrug his shoulders if he loses and then move on to the next slam.

I felt that just before the Australian Open the pressure on him was at its highest but since then it's been relieved. I don't get why the media are always so harsh on him, building him up with unrealistic expectations and then tearing him down when he doesn't fulfill them: I don't remember any number one player getting this kind of crazy attention. The media created this "Best Player Ever" monster and it seems that they would deem Roger a failure if he doesn't fulfill it--it's insane. Hopefully the presence of Nadal, Safin and Baghdatis during the French Open will divert attention away from Roger, but this "Roger Slam" nonsense will turn into a fullblown media circus by then.

EmGee
02-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Noone is going to regret anything if they've already put their best into it (i.e. their best is not enough). Why regret something that's not within your control anyway. It'll drive you crazy, even.

However, if for instance, Roger consciously chose to play lazy then he'll definitely regret it. If for instance Roger scheduled himself against better judgement, he might regret it.

The theory is for Pete too.

edberg505
02-02-2006, 01:43 AM
I disagree.

Federer is already an all court player. He would have won the french open no problem had it not been for the young spaniard. He didn't drop a set the whole tourney until he reached Nadal in the semis. He can play on the red stuff and has whipped many of superior claycourters and former french open champs on the stuff. I'm not sure how the french will turn out this year, but since Nadal will indeed be seeded number 2 and fed will be seeded number one; when they reach the finals it's gonna be a very much anticipated match and we all know what Fed's record in the finals of a slam is.;)

ATXtennisaddict
02-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Fed likes tradition and tennis history. Wimbledon is the oldest slam. Go figure.

AAAA
02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
i bet Sampras really regrets never winning the French Open. It's the monkey he couldn't get off his back.
We want what we don't have.

100% correct. What player wouldn't want to win another major, win just one major,win a major they don't already have or win all the majors in existence.

Brigitte_B
02-03-2006, 02:12 AM
I quite agree with you, but do you think Roger will be ever able to win the French??? I guess he will repeat Pete's way - winning Wimby, Australian Open and the US, but the French will unfortunately remain unavailable for him. Though Roger deserves this victory like nobody else (as well as Pete).

I disagree.

VolklVenom
02-03-2006, 02:43 AM
the quote by ferrari_827 above is what i'm talking about. This sort of stuff must be replaying over and over in Federer's head.
The French means alot because it is the gateway to the 4 Slams in same year accomplishment.
Does he care about it. Your damn right he cares.
The question is, will cope with the constant barrage of pressure he is enduring at the moment??

VolklVenom
02-03-2006, 02:45 AM
it wouldn't surprise me if all that's on Federer's mind right now is red dirt.