PDA

View Full Version : The Honeymoon Never Ended But We Still Had to Divorce

Bama'sBest
02-01-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm just now reporting back....loved the Maxply (I posted extensive reviews on the boards) and never thought it would hurt me...but in the end, the elbow gave me the ultimatum : "it's either me or the 'Ply." Heartbreaking, really.

I'm more lost than ever now. Tried the V1s--too much pop, too light, and never felt right w/added weight. Tried the Warrior OS since it's reasonable and has a following on these boards--20 minutes told me "no way"..(I have 2 of 'em for cheap if someone wants 'em). Played a weekend with the ROK 93...loved the weight/swingweight...but that was about all. From that, I've ordered a pair of Kennex Heritage Type Rs and am patiently waiting. I'm no longer looking for a dream girl...I'm just looking to settle on a reliable, "girl next door" type. Here's to hoping the Rs fit the bill...

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 02:56 PM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

Kevin T
02-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Bama,

The Type R won't let you down. Very soft and flexy. I never had a hint of elbow probs with the R. I think K Wilson Moose will agree. He stole mine and never looked back (I then proceeded to buy more!). Good luck.

netman
02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm just now reporting back....loved the Maxply (I posted extensive reviews on the boards) and never thought it would hurt me...but in the end, the elbow gave me the ultimatum : "it's either me or the 'Ply." Heartbreaking, really.

I had to shelve my MaxPlys for awhile after I fell and landed on my elbow. The Max was just too tough on my tender joint. Pulled out my trusty Pro Kennex 5g and after 3 straight match wins have decided to stay with it for awhile. Has many similiar characteristics to the MaxPly. A bit less power, but a touch more control, particularly on drop shots and slices. And no elbow pain at all. I had forgotten what a great all-around racquet the 5g can be. If you find the Type R too flexy, you might pick up a 5g and give it a try.

-k-

louis netman
02-01-2006, 03:57 PM
You think we'd learn after being hurt once. Loved that Slaz X1, but just like you, my arm said no way after about two weeks...That baby always tries to lure me back ... gotta get rid of her and her identical twins before i get sucked in again...Any takers???

BHud
02-01-2006, 05:55 PM
You just have to get rid of arm killers for good...I have bought nCode 6.1 95's three times because I love them so much, but they always end up sending me to the chiropractor with severe neck pains. You'd think I'd learn, but I'm thinking about ordering a couple more...just can't get the thought of that "reserve power on demand" out of my head...and those penetrating serves! ...dolt...

Bama'sBest
02-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Kevin T,

Yeah, I've played briefly with the 5G before...liked it and could've grown to love it if given time; however, mine snapped at 10 and 2 (was used so no warranty). Then I courted the 7Gs, liked most aspects but those cracked at the throat (first one with about 4 hours of play, second one with about 4 months of play). PK warrantied them (slowly) but my confidence in their durability is what sent me back to the dating scene. Hence my recent move toward the Type Rs...similar to 5G/7G in weight (hopefully somewhat in playability) but different material construction that might be more reliable (and most say pretty comfy, too).

Interestingly, I'm not a hard hitter by any means so those 5/7Gs cracking was really odd to me--in looking over the boards here I see that the cracking wasn't unique to me. Makes me wonder if it was just a bad batch.

If the Type Rs aren't close enough of a fit, I might gamble on the 5G again. Being able to string that thing with a polylon hybrid and get a comfy 25 hour ride before restringing was real appealing.

Bama'sBest
02-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Oops, I said Kevin T when I should've said "Netman"

bcaz
02-01-2006, 09:11 PM
The Type R is a fantastic racquet, among the most underrated sticks on the market -- soft hit, versatile, great touch and feel, low power, not too heavy, big sweetspot, great value. Sorry you didn't take to the V1 -- I've had good results with the weight and balance by using a leather grip + overgrip and I've modified my strokes a bit to swing faster with a slightly more vertical angle of attack ... still send a few volleys too long, but hey ... serves are great -- big and spinny.

thejuice
02-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Bama's Best, right around the time you were posting about your love affair with the Maxply I think I was falling in love myself. The problem is my shoulder was telling me that I would no longer be able to pick my kids (or wife) up if I continued to play with the Maxply so I had to give it up. After many searches, I realized that I really liked the M-Fil 300. Being the racquet ***** that I am, I also have two Muscle Weave 200Gs on the way (should have them tomorrow) as I would like just a touch more heft and stability. I know I can add lead to the M-Fils but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the MW's so I will see how I like them. Please post your reviews of the PK's as I would like to know how they feel compared to the Maxply (I think we both had very similar feelings towards the Maxply).

Bama'sBest
02-02-2006, 06:11 AM
BCAZ, my V1 experience was similar to a pattern I've seen before with high caliber (read not-hammers), lighter racquets. Initially, I'm fantastic with these...heightened feel, great racquet head speed, great results. But after a few weeks I'm spraying everywhere. I attribute it to the fact that just prior to the switch to the lighter racquets I've been playing with player-type sticks and therefore I have good footwork/prep ingrained in my muscle memory. This translates into good results at first with lighter sticks (heavy stick muscle memory) but after time (weeks) my body adjusts and, no longer being forced to prepare accordingly, I find myself using only arm...whipping wildly and losing of control. Apparently, I need a 11.5 oz racquet to keep me disciplined.

I will say that the initial few weeks with the V1s was like no other racquet I've played, because, unlike the slower transition to the Maxply's heavy head, I was volleying well, too, with these. The modification to groundies that you spoke of (BCAZ) came naturally.

THEJUICE, I'm afraid the m-fil 300 is a bit too light...200G has peaked my curiosity but the reports about its heft feeling greater than listed are what have me trying the Type R first. As for the R, my biggest concern is it perhaps being too spinny (flex-related); my stroke production has become so naturally spinny, I need to get back to penetrating the court more. Will report back.

fbone
02-02-2006, 07:19 AM
You think we'd learn after being hurt once. Loved that Slaz X1, but just like you, my arm said no way after about two weeks...That baby always tries to lure me back ... gotta get rid of her and her identical twins before i get sucked in again...Any takers???

X1's? what grip size do you have?

Marius_Hancu
02-02-2006, 09:18 AM
THEJUICE, I'm afraid the m-fil 300 is a bit too light...200G has peaked my curiosity but the reports about its heft feeling greater than listed are what have me trying the Type R first. As for the R, my biggest concern is it perhaps being too spinny (flex-related); my stroke production has become so naturally spinny, I need to get back to penetrating the court more. Will report back.

You could add some lead to the M-fil 300, I think it's very customizable. And very versatile.

On the M-fil 200, I feel it's in the Prestige tradition, i.e. less head light than the top Wilsons (6.1 90, 95), but as you liked the Maxply, you might like it too. It hits IMO like a poor man's Prestige (say not the same great feel as in a PC600), but solid. I still need to S-V with it more though, before I can really talk about it.

Brad Smith
02-02-2006, 11:11 AM
I had a brief fling with the Maxply a few months back. I loved the frame (can't remember anything that felt so good at net) and would still be playing with it if my shoulder let me. I'm not sure if it was serving or groundstrokes but after a few weeks my shoulder started getting sore the day after playing. I was using gut hybrids or soft multi's and I had it leaded up to be more stable against pace, so it had to be the stiffness that was getting to my shoulder. If I could find a racket that played almost as well at net but had a little more flex I'd definitely consider switching from my Prestiges.

louis netman
02-02-2006, 11:35 AM
X1's? what grip size do you have?

4 5/8...please click on my name to send email...

skraggle
02-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I'm another fan of the Heritage R. If it were slightly heavier, I'd have one for sure. Like the Maxply (which I also have), it can do everything well. If they're ever discounted, I'll probably grab one and mess around with some lead....