PDA

View Full Version : How come the Australian Open isn't called the Kia Australian Open?

Moose Malloy
02-01-2006, 04:00 PM
I recall it being called the Ford Australian Open for many years. I see now that Kia is the main sponsor, how come they don't receive the same title that Ford got?

slice bh compliment
02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Yes. Good point. This is a good thing.

Hopefully, they were embarrassed to be the only Slam with a freaking TITLE sponsor.
Money-wise, I bet nothing's changed. I think sponsors understand they do not get above-title billing at a Slam.

The Mecedes-Benz Cup. Fine.
The Ericsson Open, sure.
The Pacific Life Open. Uh huh.
Indesit/IBM/Sony Ericsson ATP/WTA Tours. Naturally.

The Halliburton US Open. Live from ExxonMobil (Arthur Ashe) Stadium?
The BNP Paribas French Open. Stade Perrier Chatrier at Roland Garros?
Rolex Centre Court, The All-Sellout Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club?

No thanks.

Yours!05
02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Fondly believing that almost no advertising influences me, I nevertheless see a vision of Damir every time the word Kia comes up. The first year(s) of Kia sponsorship included commercials featuring him, which probably didn't travel.

Alexandros
02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Fondly believing that almost no advertising influences me, I nevertheless see a vision of Damir every time the word Kia comes up. The first year(s) of Kia sponsorship included commercials featuring him, which probably didn't travel.

Haha, I'm not the only one. "People say I'm always complaining" - the accent and the fact that it's psychopathic Damir Dokic cracks me up.

Moose Malloy
11-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Was just watching the 1983 Australian Open Final. They kept referring to it as the "Marlboro Australian Open." Apparently they had it for 11 years before Ford.

Rafa's best friend
11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Can you guys tell Aus open to paint their courts purple so that we can see the ball on TV???

illkhiboy
11-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I have never had trouble watching the ball on TV. Infact I think the Aussie Open courts are the best looking. And I loved the blue Ford background. Better than the green Kia backdrop. Can't wait for Jan!

fastdunn
11-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I recall it being called the Ford Australian Open for many years. I see now that Kia is the main sponsor, how come they don't receive the same title that Ford got?

Maybe their sponsorship is not big enough.

Or it might be related to the fact that Hyundai is now a
owner of Kia...

andres epson
11-08-2006, 07:47 AM
yes!! they should change the color of the court, like in the us open did.