PDA

View Full Version : How to make racquet shorter?

Zverev
02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
How would I approach cutting a bit of the racquet butt?
Any caveats here?
Thanks

TennisAsAlways
02-01-2006, 04:58 PM
How would I approach cutting a bit of the racquet butt?
Any caveats here?
ThanksUse a saw to cut it. Good day.:cool:

TennisAsAlways
02-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Okay, what you want to do is first remove all of the grip(s) and then the buttcap. Then you cut of the desired length. A hack saw or other fine cutting edge is preferable to avoid splintering the material. Make sure you cut it squarely as well. This shouldn't be rocket science. Have fun. Good day now. 8)

Zverev
02-01-2006, 05:07 PM
This shouldn't be rocket science.
No, it's racket science. :-) No caveats then.

Michelangelo
02-02-2006, 05:07 AM
Chop the handle, saw the handle, cut the handle, ask your dog to bite the handle, or simply grab your racket higher.

wxr
02-02-2006, 05:27 AM
buy a junior stick

rich s
02-02-2006, 05:56 AM
take off you grip(s) and but cap (and pallets). Mark the amount you want to cut off all around the handle so you have a guide to follow as you are cutting.

Use a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade and turn the blade around so that it cuts when you pull instead of when you push.

I have found that you reduce the splintering by turning the blade around.

Zverev
02-02-2006, 12:58 PM
take off you grip(s) and but cap (and pallets). Mark the amount you want to cut off all around the handle so you have a guide to follow as you are cutting.

Use a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade and turn the blade around so that it cuts when you pull instead of when you push.

I have found that you reduce the splintering by turning the blade around.
Thanks, buddy.
Fortunately for everyone there are some smart people, not only smartarses.

TennisAsAlways
02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks, buddy.
Fortunately for everyone there are some smart people, not only smartarses.Hey, I said everything that he said except I forgot to mention the part about marking the lines so that the cut would be more accurate/ easier to execute. ;) Good day now! 8)

Bora
02-02-2006, 02:38 PM
while you are at it, you might consider adding some lead tape in the handle to compensate for the amount of weight you just removed.

Or if you want a different feel and even more weight you can use silicone to fill some in the handle.

Zverev
02-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Hey, I said everything that he said except I forgot to mention the part about marking the lines so that the cut would be more accurate/ easier to execute. ;) Good day now! 8)
Yeas, I know. Thanks for your help.

Actually I am cutting it with the purpose to change the balance, though I do prefer normal length racquets.
So I wouldn't add any lead, it's 12.8 oz already.

tonyjh63
02-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok, so how do you get that little "flare" at the end of the handle back?

Ronaldo
02-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just string the mains higher, sorta squash the head a bit?

TennisAsAlways
02-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Ok, so how do you get that little "flare" at the end of the handle back?I have no idea what you're talking about. That flare is the buttcap. The flare is typically not part of the handle/frame. After the handle is cut, you reattach the cap in order to regain the flare shape. Of course if you are referring to something entirely different to what I have mentioned, then disreguard this post. I think you are referring to what I am mentioning though. Good day. 8)

Zverev
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
How is the buttcap attached to the handle?
Any specific tools are required to re-attach it?

I wouldn't like to start the job without all the tools needed.
Will be original grip ruined, so I need to get ready a new one?

How is the grip fixed to the handle? Just wrapped around or glued? stapled?
anything else?

So many questions, guys, that the answer "take a saw" wouldn't handle.

If anyone has really done it, what was the racquet and how had the feel changed?

bridge
02-02-2006, 09:14 PM
ok, OZ Z. So its end weight you want to lose? Don't cut yet, cause I have "foreign" ideas.:cool: So you prefer regular length; how regular is your length now? Is it too long now or just right?

Deuce
02-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Jeez... the butt cap is originally attached with small staples.

To re-attach it, use silicone - not too much, or you'll not be able to remove it again.

Silicone, you see, is much cheaper than is investing in a special staple gun, and the end result is the same. It's actually better with the silicone, because, as staple holes are added to the handle, that part of the handle weakens.

TennisAsAlways
02-02-2006, 09:19 PM

I wouldn't like to start the job without all the tools needed.
Will be original grip ruined, so I need to get ready a new one?

How is the grip fixed to the handle? Just wrapped around or glued? stapled?
anything else?

So many questions, guys, that the answer "take a saw" wouldn't handle.

If anyone has really done it, what was the racquet and how had the feel changed?Of all the frames I've seen, the buttcap is held in place with staples.

To re-attach the buttcap, you can use an electric or pneumatic staple gun (it's recommended to use the thinner deep staples). You can also Mickey Mouse the job by tacking it back on with a hammer and nails/ tacks or you can screw it on. It's better to get the job done properly though!

Some grips are stapled on at the end and top. I skip the staples sometimes, and just rewrap it like I would do so for an overgrip.

It's definitely possible to reuse a grip. Justbe careful not to damage it when you remove it.

Also, re-attaching the buttcap isn't entirely necessary. On some of my frames I just wrap grip tape at the end, creating a built up knob. Sometimes I do not like the buttcap because it makes the grip too big. This is probably the simplest solution as well.

LN_Dad
02-02-2006, 09:25 PM

Buttcap is attached to handle with small tacks or staples. You can use a hammer to nail these little staples back on but it's not easy. It's easier if you have a staple gun.
Also I think a miter saw can do a pretty accurate job cutting off the 1/2 in. off the handle that you don't want.

Zverev
02-04-2006, 06:21 PM
ok, OZ Z. So its end weight you want to lose? Don't cut yet, cause I have "foreign" ideas.:cool: So you prefer regular length; how regular is your length now? Is it too long now or just right?

Thanks for that great load of information, guys.

Bridge, I want to cut the handle to get rid of some weight.
That's the main reason, making it shorter is just additional benefit of that.

The reason for losing weight is the following:

I got this racquet from TW 0.6 oz over the listed weight,
I believe it's a screw-up I got and I should have sent back.
Though the stick was heavy it wasn't stable in the upper hoop, so I started slowly building up with lead to achieve at least slight resemblance to stability of, say, 200g.
It's 12.8oz now and swings too heavy for me, though stability is much betetr now it's still below the standarts.
Power is too big as well, even it's strung with Plasma over Gosen at 58.
So that's about it. Sorry, trying to be quick, getting late for a plane. Taking PS 7.1 the WMD with me, not this screw-up.
Thanks for help.

tonyjh63
02-05-2006, 05:56 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about. That flare is the buttcap. The flare is typically not part of the handle/frame. After the handle is cut, you reattach the cap in order to regain the flare shape. Of course if you are referring to something entirely different to what I have mentioned, then disreguard this post. I think you are referring to what I am mentioning though. Good day. 8)

Ok, I got ya. I thought the "buttcap" was the little trapdoor thingy. So the buttcap is actually attached to the handle? Hmm, I guess I'll have to take the grip off one of my racquets and check this out. Thanks.

bee
02-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I took a Diablo MP 27 and 1/2 inch to a friends tool and die shop and they ground about a 1/2" off the end of the handle with a industrial grinder. Worked great. Only problem was it really messed up the balance and made the thing nearly useless. My wife seems to like it okay.

Newberry
02-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Remember that cutting off the handle will make the racquet more headlight. I used a diamont wheel/dremel and it eats it up. in the center of the handle there is sometimes a brace that may have lead weight on it, and it will be glued on there tight. The lead is tough to cut through. Use a hacksaw on that portion for sure.
Here's my first fray into cutting a racquet up. The pics may help a bit:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76921
Note that I added a piece of shrink to increase the grip size, not specifically to hold the buttcap on.

TennisAsAlways
02-05-2006, 02:32 PM
I took a Diablo MP 27 and 1/2 inch to a friends tool and die shop and they ground about a 1/2" off the end of the handle with a industrial grinder. Worked great. Only problem was it really messed up the balance and made the thing nearly useless. My wife seems to like it okay.You can try to counter weight the frame. Experiment by adding mass along different parts of the handle. It may take a while in order to get the frame to "feel" right for whoever would be using it. One simple way to start out is to experiment using Blu-Tack (or some type of putty). Blu-Tack makes it fast and easy to add and remove mass. After you have found an ideal weight and mass distribution points, you can then add lead to the ideal areas.

Good day now. 8)

TennisAsAlways
02-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Remember that cutting off the handle will make the racquet more headlight. I used a diamont wheel/dremel and it eats it up. in the center of the handle there is sometimes a brace that may have lead weight on it, and it will be glued on there tight. The lead is tough to cut through. Use a hacksaw on that portion for sure.
Here's my first fray into cutting a racquet up. The pics may help a bit:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=76921
Note that I added a piece of shrink to increase the grip size, not specifically to hold the buttcap on.Cutting the handle will make "some" racquets headlight. It depends on how much mass is being removed (cut out), the length cut off, and the weight distibution on every point along the new shorter length.

Good day now. 8)