PDA

View Full Version : PS 6.0 85 tension range

vkartikv
02-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I have been playing exclusively with this frame for close to a month now and thought it was time to experiment with tension ranges and strings. I have quite a few frames and decided to go 70 lbs on the one which was only a 7/10 condition. (BTW, I used prince syn gut)

While the racquet felt amazing on volleys (surprise :rolleyes: ), groundstrokes were very hard to put away, especially sliced backhands. But most important lesson I learnt was this - the racquet has developed a crack right at the 12 o'clock position.

So all of you who want to be a Sampras and go with high end tensions, beware!! I have never cracked a racquet in all these years until this one. I strongly believe it was the tension that caused the frame to crack (correct me if I am wrong). I would stick with the recommended 50-60 lbs range specified on the frame and NOT go beyond 65 (max.)

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
no criticism of you, but I am having mine strung at 68-72lbs for years by some top pros here, working for the Masters, on Babolat machines, and no problem with any of 3 racquets ...

do you have 6 clamps?

these stringers told me that 6.0 85 takes 70lbs no probs

for slice, you might need to add some lead at 3 and 9, if you don't have enough penetration; as to groundstrokes, when playing with my 393 or 410g and it's launched properly, no problem to put away ... if you use it in "ballistic mode" (educated wrist release)

vkartikv
02-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Could the place of manufacture possibly affect this? The racquet under question is a China model and was structurally solid until this experiment. Nevertheless, I am very happy with 60 lbs on mains and 58 on crosses, so no more of those high end tensions.

BTW, what benefits do you see from stringing at 68-72 lbs? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
all my 6.0s are made in China

I started to strung at 68lbs for more control; I needed that when I started to use massive lead, which gives lots of power

Now I can play with them lower at about 60lbs, but prefer 68lbs; over 70 and my TE starts waking up, thus no more ...

vkartikv
02-01-2006, 06:02 PM
all my 6.0s are made in China

I started to strung at 68lbs for more control; I needed that when I started to use massive lead

Now I can play with them lower at about 60lbs, but prefer 68lbs; over 70 and my TE starts waking up, thus no more ...

TE??? I am very tempted to post the link to your own post about arm friendly racquets :) A taste of your own medicine Marius.. :)

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 06:05 PM
stringing this high is like operating in another paradigm: you deaden the stringbed to a large extent

players who seem to prefer that: Sampras and Blake

one possible justification: more accuracy, as the stringbed is distorted less under the impact, and the impact reflection is more on the expected direction; also it might absorb less energy, as it's less flexible; but I have no measurements data to confirm that

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 06:08 PM
TE??? I am very tempted to post the link to your own post about arm friendly racquets :) A taste of your own medicine Marius.. :)

Of course. Beside the 6.0s I am also using the Mitt from time to time, not sure if you heard about this TE-oriented racquet, now out of production.

onehandbh
02-01-2006, 06:49 PM
70 should be okay. For years I strung mine
at 67-68. (China, Taiwan, & St. Vincent)

nViATi
02-01-2006, 06:56 PM
The 6.0 85 is actually pretty arm friendly if you don't mishit too often.