PDA

View Full Version : LM Pres MP : Please help with decision

player69
06-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi guys,

Recently I've decided to switch from LM Rad OS to MP after demoing it. But after reading all the post about how great the LM Pres MP is compared to the Rad MP, I've decided to switch to the Pres MP instead (though I have not demoed it since it is not available in my local store for demo). My local sport store has the LM Pres MP in stock, but the grip size is only 4 1/4. I normally play with a 4 3/8. I would order the LM Pres MP online, but since I have store credit with my local store, I would rather purchase it there. Now I am struggling between purchasing a LM Rad MP 4 3/8 or the LM Pres MP 4 1/4. Please help. I am having sleepless nights over this.

If I guy the LM Pres MP with 4 1/4 grip and use the grip build up, will it still feel the same?

Thanks,

El Diablo
06-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Welcome to the age of FedEx....most shops I've dealt with over the years are willing to order the size you need and can have it often in a day or two.

player69
06-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Well they are not sure when they will be getting more shipment in and they will not do special orders.

If I put the 1/8 gamma grip build up on, will it make a difference with the racquet feel?

andirez
06-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Well they are not sure when they will be getting more shipment in and they will not do special orders.

If I put the 1/8 gamma grip build up on, will it make a difference with the racquet feel?

Adding a heat shrink sleave will always make the racquet heavier and more headlight, but that usually isn't a bad thing :)

player69
06-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Hey andirez,
Why would making it more head light be better?

TwistServe
06-10-2004, 06:39 AM
I just switched racquets because I was using a 4 3/8 LM Radical and the grip was too small. I didn't want to artificially increase the size with 2-3 overgrips. I switched to a LM Prestige 4 1/2 and its feeling much more comfortble. You should go demo the racquet at another store if you can, or just trust your gut and buy the prestige.

andirez
06-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Hey andirez,
Why would making it more head light be better?

If the racquet becomes more head light, it will be more manuverable and offers (atleast to me) more comfort. If you feel like it has become to head light, you can always add some lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock, making the frame also a bit more solid. By doing so you will of course be increasing the static weight, but most people agree that a heavier racquet is better overal *if* you can handle the extra weight.

BTW. Adding a heat shrink sleave will most likely make the racquet feel less heavy although you have added some weight to the handle, this is due to its more head lightness.

andirez
06-10-2004, 06:49 AM
BTW. Are you sure your normal grip is 4 3/8? Most men (I assume you are male, correct me if I'm wrong) I know use 4 1/2 or higher.

player69
06-10-2004, 06:49 AM
I've looked everwhere at local stores for demos, but can't find any. The local store only has the 1/4.
Does anyone know how much weight the heat strink sleeve will add to the racquet or if it will still feel the same? Has anyone had any problems using the heat shrink sleeve?

player69
06-10-2004, 06:50 AM
I norally use 3/8 with an overgrip.

spinbalz
06-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Anyway on the LM Prestige the handle is made of an interchangeable pallets system, so you can switch to whatever gripsize you want just by changing the Head pallets, and it won't change the original weight and balance of the racquet (also available with LM Radical racquets).

andirez
06-10-2004, 07:09 AM
I've looked everwhere at local stores for demos, but can't find any. The local store only has the 1/4.
Does anyone know how much weight the heat strink sleeve will add to the racquet or if it will still feel the same? Has anyone had any problems using the heat shrink sleeve?

It depends a bit on the sleeve, but it can add as much as 12 - 16 grams (that normally is the weight if you increase one full grip). The racquet will feel different due to the added weight and the balance shift, you will have to make up your own mind if it is better for you or not.

I actually buy intentionally 4 3/8 racquets so I can add a heat shrink sleeve and make them heavier.

player69
06-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Hey andirez,

Thanks for the info. Maybe the 1/4 with heat shrink wouldn't be so bad for me since I use 3/8 with overgrip anyway. If I mess up using the heat shrink, will it come off easily without damaging the handle?

andirez
06-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Hey andirez,

Thanks for the info. Maybe the 1/4 with heat shrink wouldn't be so bad for me since I use 3/8 with overgrip anyway. If I mess up using the heat shrink, will it come off easily without damaging the handle?

I have applied and removed heat shrink sleeves myself. If you are not satisfied, you can just cut it open. There isn't any kind of adhesive, the sleeve just shrinks making it fit tightly, but you can very easily take scissors and cut it off. If you don't feel comfortable applying it yourself, you can let your pro shop do it.

Here is a handy url to get some more information on it:
http://www.tennis4all.com/info/grips/shrink.shtml

player69
06-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Hey spinbalz,

Where can I find more info about the interchangeable pallets system?

5.0 TopDog
06-10-2004, 07:49 AM
What I use to increase my gripsize is a roll of electrical tape. It work like a charm...I suggest that you might want to demo the Prestige first before you buy it before you might be waisting your money. I played with LM radical then I hear so much about how great the LM prestige is so bought it and didn't like it. Now I'm back with the LM radical MP

player69
06-10-2004, 09:32 AM
5.0 TopDog, what didn't you like about the prestige?

spinbalz
06-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Player 69, your Tennis shop or any serious tennis shop should have Head pallets in stock, at least it is how the things go in Europe.