PDA

View Full Version : there's a lot of talk about how players racquets limits skills

DX_Psycho
02-01-2006, 05:25 PM
and i can see why this would happen. higher swingweight with a smaller racquet head might inhibit you form getting clean hits, but i hit the sweetspot 85% of the time if i'm in position and i don't htink positioning has anything to do with racquets.

and i'm not even that high level. i'm a high-school player. so, can seomoen tell me what a players racquet does to limit abilities? I try out other racquets but i can't find any that feel as good as my prestige classic. the midplus i.radical feelsp retty good but it doesn't feel as sweet.

vkartikv
02-01-2006, 05:35 PM
For one, you may not be able to get a full swing from these racquets in a 3 or 5 set match - they could potentially wear you out if you are not in shape or not a 4.5 or better level player, for whom these racquets are meant.

DX_Psycho
02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
hmm i guess i could see that, but for me, my legs usually give out before my ability to get in full swings. i just can't get to the ball in time.

anirut
02-01-2006, 05:48 PM
If you're feeling good with your racket, just go ahead and enjoy it. Only thing is keep yourself in good shape, have good physical training and you'll be able to enjoy for years to come. I'll be 40 soon and I still use a players' racket -- like many of us around the board. There are board members much more senior than I am and they are using players' racket with no complaints.

In my days there were only those small-headed woods and nobody complained. Just don't worry. Trust yourself.

There are also players' rackets with low swing weight. Just check 'em out. The difference would be the 'plough-through factor'.

snoflewis
02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
i can totally relate to you... i used a prostaff tour 95 (even though it's lighter than prestige classic) i had it leaded so the swingweight was pretty high. recently, i picked up a pure drive for cheap, and ive been using that. it took me one hitting session to get used to it, but now, it's a lot easier for me to hit and receive stronger shots. In addition, the spin potential is so high for me now, so 2nd serves are more offensive. i used to love the feel of the tour 95...but to me, i would sacrifice control and some feel for a racket that has allowed me to play better and a lot more offensively.

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 06:17 PM
For one, you may not be able to get a full swing from these racquets in a 3 or 5 set match - they could potentially wear you out if you are not in shape or not a 4.5 or better level player, for whom these racquets are meant.

if you try to muscle them out, yes. if you use them in "ballistic mode," (say with educated wrist release) it will be a pleasure to use their own inertia ... and much less tiring ... valid also on serves ...

Marius_Hancu
02-01-2006, 06:18 PM
hmm i guess i could see that, but for me, my legs usually give out before my ability to get in full swings. i just can't get to the ball in time.

well, yes, that's very important.

Rath
02-01-2006, 07:34 PM
In my experience, there are a lot of pros than cons for using players racquet.
I play with a 12.2 oz 10 pt HL racquet and it seems to have the best of everything (power, flex, swingweight etc).
Heavy racquets really excel when you have an opponent that hits with a lot of pace. It is a lot more stabel at impact than the light ones.
Everybody knows that there are a lot of ways to make a racquet powerful (weight, head size, stiffness etc).
But the power that you get from a players racquet is essentially from the weight. It has some unique advantages over others. Flex, Head light, control are the main things.
Thus the power you get by virtue of racquet's weight will be safer on you arm in the long run.

vkartikv: You can probably relate this to cricket. The heavier the bat, better that cover drive feels, right?:D

jaskey
02-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Rath just wondering, which racquet do you use?

Steve Huff
02-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Not only will heavier rackets tire you a little quicker, if you don't have good preparation on overheads, you may be a little late on your swing. If you don't have good footwork, you won't get much power or depth on your volleys, etc. On the other hand, if you do have good prep and good footwork, you'll be rewarded with more precision, more stability and more comfort.

DX_Psycho
02-01-2006, 09:36 PM
yea. my volleys are worse than my groundstrokes by quite a bit. overheads are fine as long as i time it correctly, but they're really hard if i mis-time.

jonolau
02-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I played 2 sets against a 4.5 singles player yesterday afternoon and was using my Volkl C10 Pro. I started the first set with my T10VE Mid and was totally overpowered by him as I stopped playing singles for almost 5 years, I lost the first set 6-0 as I couldn't keep up with pace of his shots and serves.

Second set I switch to the C10 Pro, and lo and behold, I won it 7-5. I felt that with the larger headsize racquet, I was able to conserve energy and didn't to force too much on my groundstrokes, but it was at a slight sacrifice on control. My opponent thought that the 2nd set would be a walkover.

Should've seen his reaction and facial expression when he lost the set!