PDA

View Full Version : Prince Topspin 15L with Duraflex

tennisplayer
02-01-2006, 05:36 PM
I am thinking of switching to this string after having used more expensive stuff like Laserfibre Phenom XRC 16g, Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16g, etc. This is definitely not as great but it is cheap (under $6) and has decent reviews on TW.

I've tried this string myself, and it doesn't feel too bad after one hitting session. How does this string wear - does it retain tension and feel until it snaps, or does it go dead well before that? Is it really durable compared to LF Phenom and TF X-One?

Thanks in advance!

tennisplayer
02-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Hmm... doesn't look like anyone here's using this string!

Anyway, this string has held up very well through three fairly hard sessions - very little movement, decent power and spin, and quite comfortable at 58 lbs. I am going to increase the tension to my usual 60 lbs next time. Overall, a very good string, and quite a bargain at under $6.00.

PBODY99
02-04-2006, 09:10 AM
I am thinking of switching to this string after having used more expensive stuff like Laserfibre Phenom XRC 16g, Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16g, etc. This is definitely not as great but it is cheap (under $6) and has decent reviews on TW.

I've tried this string myself, and it doesn't feel too bad after one hitting session. How does this string wear - does it retain tension and feel until it snaps, or does it go dead well before that? Is it really durable compared to LF Phenom and TF X-One?

Thanks in advance!

This string is a good choice for string breakers who want something with more duability than PSD. It playability declines at the same rate as PSD, IMHO .:cool:

SteveI
02-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Hmm... doesn't look like anyone here's using this string!

Anyway, this string has held up very well through three fairly hard sessions - very little movement, decent power and spin, and quite comfortable at 58 lbs. I am going to increase the tension to my usual 60 lbs next time. Overall, a very good string, and quite a bargain at under $6.00.

Hi,

Very nice for your basic HS player.. not an advanced HS player. Lasts long and plays decent... does not really help you produce extra topspin as advertised however. Topspin production is a really a function of many factors.. mostly realted to angle of attack of you racket face.. swing speed and proper strokes. I would stock it as a basic string to use in players that are not really all concerned with the string in their frame..maybe more concerned with price performace.

Regards,
Steve

dufferok
02-06-2006, 04:19 AM
I switched to Tecnifibre NRG2 16g for the comfort aspect of the string. The feel of the string was outstanding, however, the loss of tension and extra power which resulted from the string was annoying to say the least.

After reading through TW string reviews and the message boards, I decided to try Prince Synthetic Gut 16g and Topspin 15L. They were not as comfortable as the TF multifiliment string but they played very well and held their tension extremely well. You get exactly what you put into the swing and nothing more.

I did not notice a difference in the amount of spin generated between the two strings. Therefore, I now play with Prince Synthetic Gut 16g w/ Duraflex and I'm very happy with the results.

thbat
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
For durability and price, its hard to beat the Prince 15L. For me, they usually last about 2 months, while a 17 synthetic lasts 2 weeks. For such a big string, comfort and feel is decent. The 'top spin' is in reference to it being a textured string, which suppose to help spin. But that wears out in about a game or two (of no use in my opinion).

jasonbourne
02-14-2006, 08:57 AM
I agree with the feedback on the 15L string thus far and wanted to add that one drawback I experienced was lack of feel for drop shots. I can typically execute an effective drop shot from inside the baseline or at net with 16g and 17g strings with my PSC 6.1 16x18 racquet, but not with the 15L.

Due to this, I decided to stay with 16g. One of my hitting partners has a 15L reel and enjoys the string.

Rabbit
02-14-2006, 10:50 AM
If you like Prince Topspin 15L, give the 16 gauge a try. It doesn't have duracrap in it and really feels great. The downside is that it doesn't last as long, but for $6, it's a great string.

tennisplayer
02-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Rabbit, I am using the 15L mainly for the durability and price. It has decent, but not great feel or consistency. I have used Topspin 16g and I agree it is a great string while it's new. Unfortunately, it seems to lose tension very rapidly, and also breaks very soon. Pity...